How 6700 Sounded like 50000: The Science

theRalph

Other than the fact that Bills fans are the best and loudest in the world, there are three reasons the Ralph could be so loud:

1. Though only 6700 fans were allowed in, these were all in the lower bowl which represents just 2/3 of the 71870 capacity. That means the lower bowl was at 14% capacity, not 9%

2. When hearing a crowd of 70000 scream, there aren’t 70000 actually screaming. It’s usually about 40 - 50% that are the loudest. Using 50%, that means that the 6700 (who were all screaming, of course) represented no 14%, but 28% of the lower bowl capacity.

3. With only 6700 in the stands, that left a lot of hard reflective surfaces that allowed reverberation. This would have greatly amplified the voices that were there. In a full stadium soft bodies and clothes act to deaden sound. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Them being able to smack the long benches and seat backs since there were no other fans sitting in them allowed a huge amount of noise to be made that normally would not have been a method available to them

Great point.

• Like (+1) 1

Bothered me (perhaps a bit too much) when I'd be at games and 2/3 of my section would be sitting on their hands not making a sound while we're on defense on third down.  I guess it depends on the section but I would give my left nut to be at a home playoff game where EVERYONE is going nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Well, there's also issue of cooler air over a surface area, thus wave refraction, leading to "more" sound, then...

Ahh, screw it, this is too nerdy.

Plus, without the thermodynamic lift created by thousands of bbq grills around the stadium, the inversion layer over the 6700 Would have acted as a sound mirror.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, theRalph said:

Plus, without the thermodynamic lift created by thousands of bbq grills around the stadium, the inversion layer over the 6700 Would have acted as a sound mirror.

Yes, which is exactly why one uses certain chemical weapons only during an inversion layer.

So, how far can I pull this thread off the rails?