Texans believe Watson has played his last snap for the team

Penfield45

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ok then ha... well, apparently Deshaun Watson has full control.

Not quite.  He's under contract to the Texans for the next 5 years.  He either plays football for them, or to a trade partner with a haul satisfactory to them, or he doesn't play.

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If that's the case, if i'm their GM/Ownership, i'm just asking him who he wants us to hire and then doing it.

You can't lose a Top 5 QB and not get back the best haul possible.  I say that second part because only the Texans seem capable of trading a young top 5 QB.

I don't know if it's accurate, but some media reports make Easterby sound like almost a cult-like guru and McNair as his devotee:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

"It was an increasingly common sight in 2019. McNair, in his first full season as the franchise’s principal owner, would watch over practice 50 yards away. Next to him was Easterby, his newest hire and a man with whom he shared a deep religious faith. Often, no other member of the franchise was within earshot as the two chatted."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

"A former team chaplain turned “character coach” in New England and now Houston’s executive VP of football operations, Easterby had made a habit of asking coworkers to take his hand and pray for wisdom when making workplace decisions. He often did so with people who reported to him; some felt they had no choice but to oblige, even if this made them uncomfortable. McNair, though, strongly identifies with Easterby’s Christian faith. The two were among the last people to leave NRG Stadium the night of the season-ending loss. And, according to multiple members of the organization, with the biggest decision for the franchise’s future looming—who would lead the team moving forward—word spread throughout the building that Easterby and McNair prayed for enlightenment."

"The duo flew to New England to meet with Caserio the next morning. Easterby, according to multiple sources, skipped some of Monday’s exit interviews, the ones where players hand over their team-issued iPads and discuss offseason goals."

This is in contrast to what Watson had been promised by the owner: "Watson was told by team owner Cal McNair he would have input in the search for the franchise’s next general manager and head coach, and the two talked on multiple occasions through the season’s final weeks....Watson told McNair he wanted to create a “winning culture” in Houston, similar to his experience in college at Clemson, where he won a national title in 2016. He also sought for the franchise decision-makers to “get on the same page,” ending the division created and flamed since Easterby’s arrival in 2019." and while Watson was off for a post season vacay.....

and not the input of the Search Firm the Texans had hired:

"In its pursuit of Caserio, Houston did not follow the orderly process adhered to by management consulting firms like Korn Ferry, the one the Texans hired. The Texans had announced on the team’s Twitter account each of the four prior GM interviews set up with the firm: Louis Riddick, Matt Bazirgan, Omar Khan and Trent Kirchner (the fifth, a meeting with Baltimore’s Scott Cohen scheduled for Jan. 8, was canceled after the Caserio hire)."

I hope the Bills have put these "Game of Thrones" office intrigue days behind them now....

• Like (+1) 1

Question to members that are hypothesizing a trade that is two firsts plus a QB (Tua, Darnold, Daniel Jones, etc.)...do you think that's what Houston would consider equal value or is it what you consider equal value?  If it is the latter then you REALLY need to take a look at trade compensation for players not remotely as valuable as a franchise QB.

I have seen a few comments saying that Jacksonville shouldn't be in the mix for a possible trade.  Um, why on earth not?  I get that Lawrence is a great prospect but he's still exactly that...a prospect.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea you are wrong to not be much of a Watson fan. I agree he is a step below Allen and Mahomes, but it is not a big step. He is at worst the 5th best Quarterback in the league. That said, I agree based on his rookie year Herbert looks like he might make that very top elite group so you don't trade him on a rookie deal (and while they sign after year 3 they generally keep the cap number controlled for years 4 and 5 that is the model of those contracts) for Watson on a 2nd deal. I think it would probably make the Chargers better in 2021 but long term it is bad strategic move. Burrow looked good too, but more like his ceiling is in that second group Watson / Wilson type territory. I still wouldn't move off Burrow to go get Watson. LAC and Cincy are in my 7 teams who should keep their powder dry, BUF, KC, CIN, LAC, GB, SEA, JAX. 

Every other team in the NFL should make that call. And would I trade Chase Young for Watson? 100% yes and twice on Sundays. If Houston did that as a 1 for 1 trade they would deserve shooting. You need to pay me Chase Young plus at least a 1st and a midround pick for Watson. Daniel Jones and a first won't get it done either. Watson is going to attract at LEAST two first round picks, and a 2nd plus either some combo of mid round picks or a starting player. Or a 1st round pick, an elite player and some combination of 2nd / 3rd rounders. 

Watch for San Francisco is my advice. Miami is the early front runner if Watson gets away but watch for San Francisco. If it becomes clear he is available there will be a bidding war. Make no mistake about that. 

I will accept your premise that Watson is a top 5 QB, and carve out the seven teams you mention. Texans have two related problems,  an unhappy QB and cap hell. Teams looking to rebuild may not want to have a QB that brings such a huge cap impact, if they have no other pieces in place.  Texans need to get something in return of value.  The ideal landing place is a team with the pieces in place but not a top 5 QB. Your current list of 7 teams with a top 5 QB, seems like a full list.  I don't really know all the teams cap situation or existing draft capital other than their native position in the upcoming draft. But lets review each team:

AFC West 
Chiefs - carved out
Chargers - Carved out
Broncos - No QB, not sure what the Broncos could give to the Texans of value
Raiders - Credible QB, Watson makes them an instant competitor to the Chiefs. Is there some package of picks and Derek Carr that could appeal to a new regime in Houston? Carr does not fit mode of burn everything down, some picks and Carr could allow the Texans to field a decent team. Getting rid of Carr would seem to mean the Raiders have some room to absorb the Watson cap hit. 

AFC South
Almost impossible to imagine a trade to a division rival. 
Titans could give Tannehill (decent contract) & a lot of picks to match Watson with Henry & their receivers.  Titans would arguably become the best offense in the NFL following such a deal. Texans fans would probably die en masse is such a thing occurred. 

Colts - not sure they have a package to make the Texans near term competitive

Jaguars - carved out

AFC North:
Browns: Mayfield on his contract for Watson on his contract may make sense for both parties.  Browns get a huge upgrade at QB (based on the premise Watson is in the top 5).  Texans get a QB who is very good and young and with a more favorable contract situation. Given the weapons the Browns have could toss in a first rd pick. 
Steelers : Nothing to give

Ravens: Lamar is too weird of a QB to trade for. He is not going to be cheap shortly. 
Bengals: carved out

AFC East:
Bills : not looking to downgrade at QB, so no. 
Patriots: pats might be able to part with 3 number ones, given their past history of winning with a top QB using unheralded backs and receivers. Not sure on the Pats cap situation:

Dophins: Tua and a bunch of picks is less attractive to me than Mayfield and first. Tua may not last as a starter in the league. 
Jets: Darnold and a bunch of picks for Watson is not attractive to me for a top 5 QB.

To me out of the AFC, Baker Mayfield is the most logical person who could be moved for Watson.  Both teams come out Ok. 

NFC West:

Seattle : Carved out

Los Angeles: Can't afford Watson without dumping Goff, would have to give up many many picks to dump goffs contract on the texans. Seems too complicated. But A top 5 QB and Sean McVay seems formidable, might be worth pursuing. 
Arizona: Very similar to the Browns analysis. Reuniting Watson with Hopkins adds drama, and gets Watson out of the AFC.  Not sure if I prefer Murray or Mayfield. But Texans help themselves getting Watson out of the AFC.
San Francisco:  I don't want Jimmy G & his contract. Not sure how niners work themselves out of the situation to give anything of value to the Texans and absorb Watsons contract. 

NFC South:
Saints : Team is built to handle a big contract. They could probably afford to give up the most picks of virtually any team and remain a contender.  As a new coach I would rather have Mayfield or Murray, than expect I will find one to draft in the foreseeable future. 
Buccaneers: Texans would not likely want to rebuild with a 44 year old expensive QB. Bucs cant handle both contracts. 
Panthers: Just random picks

Falcons: Similar to Bucs, can't see the Texans wanting to start again with Matt Ryan

NFC East:

Dallas: Dak for Watson? Dak plus a first for Watson?  I would much rather have murray or mayfield than prescott.  Prescott seems like a JAG to me, i might rather roll with picks. 
Giants: Giants with Watson become an NFC powerhouse almost overnight.  They can give a guy that is not much of a drop off to Prescott in Jones. Plus could probably give up a pile of picks.  They have cap space. 
Washington: Watson is a great fit for WFT, but not sure what the Skins really have to give in return.
Eagles: Unless you have some miracle plan to revitalize Wentz, not sure anything can work. 

Multi-team trade:  Watson to Eagles, Wentz and four firsts to the Colts in exchange for a bag of peanuts, Colts send the four firsts to the Texans.  This would not work for the Colts. This unloads the Wentz contract allowing the Eagles to absorb Watson, Wentz ends up with the Colts, for the price of absorbing his crap contract. Texans get four firsts. 

If I am the Texans and a new regime, I don't want to spend a decade looking for a solid starting QB after having a top 5 guy who is 25 on my roster. It seems to me that the Mayfield or Murray Option plus picks addresses the situation from a Texans perspective.  And if Watson is really top 5, then he is a clear upgrade for either the Browns or Cardinals.  

Edited by Chaos

Prediction on where Watson goes if he leaves Houston. I’m going under the radar with Carolina. Brees just retired and Brady only has one more year. NFC south will suck and he’ll own it. Matt Rhule is a great young coach and his old stomping grounds of Clemson is one state south.

Houston trades Watson
Carolina trades Bridgewater and 3 first round picks (2020, 2021, 2022)

Houston’s gameplan should be trade Watt for another 2nd in 2020, draft BPA in 2020 (not QB). Let bridgwater and the rest of that team suck in 2020 and get Howell in 2021. Boom team fixed. You’re welcome and Watson is in the NFC and not the AFC raping you every year 

Watson is not going anywhere.  I am guessing Leslie Frazier goes there and Watson stays.  Watson is such a Prima Donna that a guy like Frazier is what that team needs.  Even money Watson starts whining he needs Mahomes money to stay.  The guy is so delusional. He really thinks he has Mahomes type talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

7 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

Watson is not going anywhere.  I am guessing Leslie Frazier goes there and Watson stays.  Watson is such a Prima Donna that a guy like Frazier is what that team needs.  Even money Watson starts whining he needs Mahomes money to stay.  The guy is so delusional. He really thinks he has Mahomes type talent.

There are definitely warning signs with him now. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

I will accept your premise that Watson is a top 5 QB, and carve out the seven teams you mention. Texans have two related problems,  an unhappy QB and cap hell. Teams looking to rebuild may not want to have a QB that brings such a huge cap impact, if they have no other pieces in place.  Texans need to get something in return of value.  The ideal landing place is a team with the pieces in place but not a top 5 QB. Your current list of 7 teams with a top 5 QB, seems like a full list.  I don't really know all the teams cap situation or existing draft capital other than their native position in the upcoming draft. But lets review each team:

AFC West 
Chiefs - carved out
Chargers - Carved out
Broncos - No QB, not sure what the Broncos could give to the Texans of value
Raiders - Credible QB, Watson makes them an instant competitor to the Chiefs. Is there some package of picks and Derek Carr that could appeal to a new regime in Houston? Carr does not fit mode of burn everything down, some picks and Carr could allow the Texans to field a decent team. Getting rid of Carr would seem to mean the Raiders have some room to absorb the Watson cap hit. 

AFC South
Almost impossible to imagine a trade to a division rival. 
Titans could give Tannehill (decent contract) & a lot of picks to match Watson with Henry & their receivers.  Titans would arguably become the best offense in the NFL following such a deal. Texans fans would probably die en masse is such a thing occurred. 

Colts - not sure they have a package to make the Texans near term competitive

Jaguars - carved out

AFC North:
Browns: Mayfield on his contract for Watson on his contract may make sense for both parties.  Browns get a huge upgrade at QB (based on the premise Watson is in the top 5).  Texans get a QB who is very good and young and with a more favorable contract situation. Given the weapons the Browns have could toss in a first rd pick. 
Steelers : Nothing to give

Ravens: Lamar is too weird of a QB to trade for. He is not going to be cheap shortly. 
Bengals: carved out

AFC East:
Bills : not looking to downgrade at QB, so no. 
Patriots: pats might be able to part with 3 number ones, given their past history of winning with a top QB using unheralded backs and receivers. Not sure on the Pats cap situation:

Dophins: Tua and a bunch of picks is less attractive to me than Mayfield and first. Tua may not last as a starter in the league. 
Jets: Darnold and a bunch of picks for Watson is not attractive to me for a top 5 QB.

To me out of the AFC, Baker Mayfield is the most logical person who could be moved for Watson.  Both teams come out Ok. 

NFC West:

Seattle : Carved out

Los Angeles: Can't afford Watson without dumping Goff, would have to give up many many picks to dump goffs contract on the texans. Seems too complicated. But A top 5 QB and Sean McVay seems formidable, might be worth pursuing. 
Arizona: Very similar to the Browns analysis. Reuniting Watson with Hopkins adds drama, and gets Watson out of the AFC.  Not sure if I prefer Murray or Mayfield. But Texans help themselves getting Watson out of the AFC.
San Francisco:  I don't want Jimmy G & his contract. Not sure how niners work themselves out of the situation to give anything of value to the Texans and absorb Watsons contract. 

NFC South:
Saints : Team is built to handle a big contract. They could probably afford to give up the most picks of virtually any team and remain a contender.  As a new coach I would rather have Mayfield or Murray, than expect I will find one to draft in the foreseeable future. 
Buccaneers: Texans would not likely want to rebuild with a 44 year old expensive QB. Bucs cant handle both contracts. 
Panthers: Just random picks

Falcons: Similar to Bucs, can't see the Texans wanting to start again with Matt Ryan

NFC East:

Dallas: Dak for Watson? Dak plus a first for Watson?  I would much rather have murray or mayfield than prescott.  Prescott seems like a JAG to me, i might rather roll with picks. 
Giants: Giants with Watson become an NFC powerhouse almost overnight.  They can give a guy that is not much of a drop off to Prescott in Jones. Plus could probably give up a pile of picks.  They have cap space. 
Washington: Watson is a great fit for WFT, but not sure what the Skins really have to give in return.
Eagles: Unless you have some miracle plan to revitalize Wentz, not sure anything can work. 

Multi-team trade:  Watson to Eagles, Wentz and four firsts to the Colts in exchange for a bag of peanuts, Colts send the four firsts to the Texans.  This would not work for the Colts. This unloads the Wentz contract allowing the Eagles to absorb Watson, Wentz ends up with the Colts, for the price of absorbing his crap contract. Texans get four firsts. 

If I am the Texans and a new regime, I don't want to spend a decade looking for a solid starting QB after having a top 5 guy who is 25 on my roster. It seems to me that the Mayfield or Murray Option plus picks addresses the situation from a Texans perspective.  And if Watson is really top 5, then he is a clear upgrade for either the Browns or Cardinals.  

Come on, that’s just silly.  Neither the Browns nor Cards are trading their QBs. And Houston would have to be crazy to trade Watson for Mayfield, unless the Browns throw in at least two first round picks.  I would not trade him for Murray, either.  The most likely candidates are Jets and Dolphins, and the Phins probably aren’t ready to trade Tua yet (although they should).

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Frazier is going to get that job.  He will turn the defense around.  Watson will still be a problem though.  He will be whining about why they are spending all their money on defense instead of getting him a bunch of high priced receivers.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

Come on, that’s just silly.  Neither the Browns nor Cards are trading their QBs. And Houston would have to be crazy to trade Watson for Mayfield, unless the Browns throw in at least two first round picks.  I would not trade him for Murray, either.  The most likely candidates are Jets and Dolphins, and the Phins probably aren’t ready to trade Tua yet (although they should).

If Watson is top 4 or 5, why are you up to 9 teams that would not trade for him because their current QB situation is better.  I think the answer is pretty clear. He is not top 5 , and his contract is top 2.   Texans are screwed. 

Put it another way, Browns & Cards would swap for Mahomes or Josh in a heart beat.  Watson is far behind. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

John McClain has been covering Texans forever, says it’s not as bad as what we are hearing. Not sure if that means anything. It’s not the NBA, nfl players don’t have that much power. Seems he doesn’t like the owners politics among other things. We shall see but typically NFL hold outs and demand favor the owners. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

Frazier is going to get that job.  He will turn the defense around.  Watson will still be a problem though.  He will be whining about why they are spending all their money on defense instead of getting him a bunch of high priced receivers.

I hope he does.  But who knows what Watson will be complaining about then?  Again they used 2-1st rounders to get a LT for him.  And while they did trade-away Hopkins, he had a career year, improving in every single passing stat, from yards, to completion percentage, to TD's to fewest INTs, to YPA.  And Caserio was a widely-hailed hire.

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If Watson is top 4 or 5, why are you up to 9 teams that would not trade for him because their current QB situation is better.  I think the answer is pretty clear. He is not top 5 , and his contract is top 2.   Texans are screwed. 

Put it another way, Browns & Cards would swap for Mahomes or Josh in a heart beat.  Watson is far behind. 

Not that simple...Baker and Murray are much cheaper than Watson and are viewed, rightly or wrongly, as franchise QBs by those teams.  Arizona has built their whole team around Murray.  

The real problem is that I doubt Houston wants either one, at least not without multiple high picks thrown in.  And yes, Watson is definitely top 5, although he’s behind Allen and Mahomes right now.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'd swap Mayfield or Murray for Watson IN. A. HEARTBEAT. I wouldn't even need a second to consider. It is the most obvious decision ever. But If I am Houston I am not doing either of those straight up because I get screwed. The Browns should have him anyway, they should have taken him when they had the first overall pick in 2017. 

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I hope he does.  But who knows what Watson will be complaining about then?  Again they used 2-1st rounders to get a LT for him.  And while they did trade-away Hopkins, he had a career year, improving in every single passing stat, from yards, to completion percentage, to TD's to fewest INTs, to YPA.  And Caserio was a widely-hailed hire.

I don't think you can blame Watson for the Tunsil trade..... that is a stretch. He is complaining about the broken promises from ownership and the continuing influence of a non-Football guy in football decision making. They are his two complaints. Not money. Not specific personnel moves..... it is about his trust in the guys upstairs. He feels like all they do is lie to him. Ever worked for a boss like that? Were you ticked off? Did you try and leave the company? Yea.....

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, BITE ME said:

Watson may want to push for a trade, but that doesn’t mean McNair will honor his request.  He also is so expensive with his contract.  The big mistake was in ownership telling him he would have influence over the coaching Mgmt hire.  That should’ve never happened.

The GM already said they are not entertaining trades.  If Leslie gets the job, with his demeanor should be able to calm the situation down.  Besides no decent head coach would go there without Watson.

• Like (+1) 1

I will say in criticism of Watson if the rumours that he isn't returning their calls are true then he needs to get over that. The way to sort this out is not via cryptic tweet. I think he has a right to be pissed. He isn't the only guy in that locker room who is. But confront it. Tell Cal McNair exactly what you think of the shitshow he has made of running the organisation since his dad died. Tell Nick Easterby which rock you'd like him to crawl back under and tell Nick Caserio what you want to do. I have no problem at all with him taking a stand. That is what leaders have to do sometimes. I do have a bit more of a problem with him taking it and then giving them the silent treatment. 

If he wants to be involved in the Head Coach decision he will need to answer a call from someone in the organisation at some point. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If he wants to be involved in the Head Coach decision he will need to answer a call from someone in the organisation at some point. 

Why would any owner involve him in a head coach decision?  He is pushing for an offensive coordinator to be head coach.  This is the worst defense in the NFL and he wants an offensive coordinator.  Guy is clueless and acts like a child who is crying because the didn't get what he wanted. He is anything but a leader.

• Eyeroll 1

On 1/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, Virgil said:

This sounds crazy, but if I’m Baltimore, I’d trade Lamar for him straight up 

That would be a good get but i think because of the great job O'Brien did as GM they would be looking to get some draft picks in the first 2 rounds he traded them away along with his best player D Hop . I don't think O'Brien will ever get another chance at being a HC in the NFL .

Who ever get's that job has their work cut out for them I don't think Leslie would go for that he's a lot smarter than to run into a burning building ! 

I understand Watson is the face of the franchise (at this point), but how does that make him worthy of being involved in every decision within the football operations? He didn't have to sign that contract, but he did for the money. He knew who was there. He saw what they did to D-Hop. He still signed the extension. Now, because they aren't seeking his approval for every decision, he wants to force his way out of Houston? Just because you are the highest paid player on the team doesn't mean you can also basically run the entire organization. To me it's selfish and a Prima-Donna type move.