Texans believe Watson has played his last snap for the team

Penfield45

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The one thing I could see standing in the way is optics. Would be a really bad look to trade your young top 5 QB to get your own 1st round pick back.

I would hope the Texans stand strong on wanting 2 1st round picks. Houston should get 3 and 18 plus Tua. Honestly though Miami should say yes to that deal. You're instantly a Super Bowl contender without losing a player. You'll be a free agent target of every player. 

9 hours ago, wjag said:

New Orleans would be THE perfect fit. He could probably keep his home in Houston and commute. Its like 350 miles between cities. 

I thought of the Saints as the perfect landing spot as well. Great players on offense, great defense, and great offensive HC. BOY that would be a match made in heaven. Granted the saints would probably have to give up a couple of years worth of picks but worth it. 

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Is Deshaun Watson teetering towards "Kim Jung QB" status yet?

Not at all.  He has performed in line with expectations.  If Lawrence turns out just ok but people keep saying how he is awesome then he will be the heir apparent.

Edited by 4merper4mer

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

@Alphadawg7

Let me just get ahead of this right now. lol

Agreed..they already gave away half the team, so there is no way they are trading a franchise QB who was just named All Pro.they would only do that for the #1 pick in the draft and a few other top picks because they know what they have. 

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Who do you think gives the Chargers the best chance to win in 2021 with a new HC, Watson or Hebert ?  In Buffalo the chance to win in 2021 is clearly better with Josh. 

So that trade would make sense if LA's only concern was next year.

Whereas they would actually be concerned about the whole career in terms of both salary structure, talent and team fit. As good as Watson is, Houston would still have to give more than Watson to be considered equal value. IMO the Chargers making that trade is unimaginable in any real world trade scenario.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

So that trade would make sense if LA's only concern was next year.

Whereas they would actually be concerned about the whole career in terms of both salary structure, talent and team fit. As good as Watson is, Houston would still have to give more than Watson to be considered equal value. IMO the Chargers making that trade is unimaginable in any real world trade scenario.

Yea who would I take for 2021? Watson, without a doubt. Who would I take for the next 4 years....? A cost controlled Justin Herbert. A) because I think his ceiling might be higher than Watson's and B) because even if he is only 80% as good as Watson that on a rookie deal gives me a window.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm certain there is every bit of the frustration you are describing.  But 6 top paid guys looking to bolt doesn't make the rest of them feel better.  I'm betting they would rather Watson and everyone else stay and help make the team better with the new GM and HC.  Quitting on the team will only benefit e the quitters.  The vast majority of the roster is stuck there---far worse off if those other guys leave.  Why would they be ok with  these other guys choosing to leave?

Anyway, Watson hasn't as much leverage as he or others think, here in January.  His only option is, months from now, to sit out.   The other guys you listed have even less.

Yes, it would be in their interest for him to stay. And yes I'm sure they'd like him to stay. 

But they won't expect him to make decisions based on the self-interest of other people. If they were the ones with leverage (if Watson has enough - which I think he absolutely does if he's willing to do the minimum and whip up firestorms there for the new regime) they'd leave too.

Players understand that it's a business and that each guy at bottom will do what's best for him and his family.

I'm old school and back then there was a lot more wind about how much you owed to your team, but even back then plenty of guys forced their way elsewhere and did just fine in new locations ... Elway and Eli, but also guys like Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Randy Moss in Oakland, Carson Palmer, etc. 

For every Le'Veon Bell there is a Yannick Ngakoue. And that's ignoring basketball and the other sports where it's an every day deal for young audiences. His teammates will be disappointed but they'll understand. If it happens.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea who would I take for 2021? Watson, without a doubt. Who would I take for the next 4 years....? A cost controlled Justin Herbert. A) because I think his ceiling might be higher than Watson's and B) because even if he is only 80% as good as Watson that on a rookie deal gives me a window.

1. I am not a huge Watson fan. I don't think he belongs in the same conversation as Mahomes or Allen.
2. I was impressed by Herbert this year. Burrows also before he got hurt. Neither is yet in the same conversation as Mahomes or Allen, but maybe someday. 

3. Not sure the rookie contract window is four years from now in real life. Mahomes & Watson signed their extensions after their third season. Allen is expected to this year. If Hebert is on this same level his window is two more cheap seasons, not four.  

4. If you write off the 2021 season, then the cheap QB window could be as short as one competitive season. 

The analysis really comes down to this question? Who better allows me to compete with the Mahomes led chiefs for the next 10 years, Herbert or Watson.  Rookie contract windows aside, I think the answer is Herbert.  But for discussion purposes, if the GM truly thinks Watson is a top 3 NFL QB talent over the next decade and will join Mahomes & Allen to create the new version of the Brady/Manning/Rothisberger rivalry. And the GM sees Herbert as more in the Carson Palmer category (nice QB, long career, but not quite elite), then you might consider making the trade. Given the Chargers history of giving up Brees to go with Rivers, this might be impossible to do. 

Flip the script, if you were the Washington Football team, would you trade Chase Young  to the Texans for Watson? 

If you were the Giants, would trade Daniel Jones & your 2021 first rd pick for Watson?

If the answer to the these questions is no, then what level of compensation would anyone give up for Watson?

12 hours ago, Estro said:

Right on. Schefter isn't "often" a shill for agents, though. He always is.

Watson isn't getting traded.  The dead cao #s the Texans have to take on, were they to trade him, are a non starter.  Plus Watson has absolutely no leverage, he's signed for another 5 years.  He's not going to threaten to sit out for 5 seasons is he?  This is all media/agent/Watson driven.  Let's not forget he just signed a 4 year extension like 6 months ago, let's not act like he's in some type of hostage situation in Houston.  It was his choice to sign that extension, had he opted not to he actually would have some leverage right now.

The dead cap would sure hurt, but it's not prohibitive if they decide it'd be in the team's best interests. The signing bonus was only $27M, and a fifth of that has already been amortized. A ton more was guaranteed, but that's all salary and whoever he's traded to would be responsible for paying it. 

That's a lot, yes, fair enough. But if Watson worked hard to make himself unpleasant, or quietly threatened to do so, he might get his way. It's a real possibility.

Just now, Chaos said:

1. I am not a huge Watson fan. I don't think he belongs in the same conversation as Mahomes or Allen.
2. I was impressed by Herbert this year. Burrows also before he got hurt. Neither is yet in the same conversation as Mahomes or Allen, but maybe someday. 

3. Not sure the rookie contract window is four years from now in real life. Mahomes & Watson signed their extensions after their third season. Allen is expected to this year. If Hebert is on this same level his window is two more cheap seasons, not four.  

4. If you write off the 2021 season, then the cheap QB window could be as short as one competitive season. 

The analysis really comes down to this question? Who better allows me to compete with the Mahomes led chiefs for the next 10 years, Herbert or Watson.  Rookie contract windows aside, I think the answer is Herbert.  But for discussion purposes, if the GM truly thinks Watson is a top 3 NFL QB talent over the next decade and will join Mahomes & Allen to create the new version of the Brady/Manning/Rothisberger rivalry. And the GM sees Herbert as more in the Carson Palmer category (nice QB, long career, but not quite elite), then you might consider making the trade. Given the Chargers history of giving up Brees to go with Rivers, this might be impossible to do. 

Flip the script, if you were the Washington Football team, would you trade Chase Young  to the Texans for Watson? 

If you were the Giants, would trade Daniel Jones & your 2021 first rd pick for Watson?

If the answer to the these questions is no, then what level of compensation would anyone give up for Watson?

Yea you are wrong to not be much of a Watson fan. I agree he is a step below Allen and Mahomes, but it is not a big step. He is at worst the 5th best Quarterback in the league. That said, I agree based on his rookie year Herbert looks like he might make that very top elite group so you don't trade him on a rookie deal (and while they sign after year 3 they generally keep the cap number controlled for years 4 and 5 that is the model of those contracts) for Watson on a 2nd deal. I think it would probably make the Chargers better in 2021 but long term it is bad strategic move. Burrow looked good too, but more like his ceiling is in that second group Watson / Wilson type territory. I still wouldn't move off Burrow to go get Watson. LAC and Cincy are in my 7 teams who should keep their powder dry, BUF, KC, CIN, LAC, GB, SEA, JAX. 

Every other team in the NFL should make that call. And would I trade Chase Young for Watson? 100% yes and twice on Sundays. If Houston did that as a 1 for 1 trade they would deserve shooting. You need to pay me Chase Young plus at least a 1st and a midround pick for Watson. Daniel Jones and a first won't get it done either. Watson is going to attract at LEAST two first round picks, and a 2nd plus either some combo of mid round picks or a starting player. Or a 1st round pick, an elite player and some combination of 2nd / 3rd rounders. 

Watch for San Francisco is my advice. Miami is the early front runner if Watson gets away but watch for San Francisco. If it becomes clear he is available there will be a bidding war. Make no mistake about that. 

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, it would be in their interest for him to stay. And yes I'm sure they'd like him to stay. 

But they won't expect him to make decisions based on the self-interest of other people. If they were the ones with leverage (if Watson has enough - which I think he absolutely does if he's willing to do the minimum and whip up firestorms there for the new regime) they'd leave too.

Players understand that it's a business and that each guy at bottom will do what's best for him and his family.

I'm old school and back then there was a lot more wind about how much you owed to your team, but even back then plenty of guys forced their way elsewhere and did just fine in new locations ... Elway and Eli, but also guys like Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Randy Moss in Oakland, Carson Palmer, etc. 

For every Le'Veon Bell there is a Yannick Ngakoue. And that's ignoring basketball and the other sports where it's an every day deal for young audiences. His teammates will be disappointed but they'll understand. If it happens.

whip up firestorms?

Watson hasn't demanded a trade, and I wonder if he would, knowing the Texans best offer could potentially come from the Jets.  

I get why he would want to go to Miami.  Good coach, good defense, and the offense is ok - probably won't get much better with the draft capital and cap space needed for Watson, but he can certainly make them a playoff team.  

However, the Jets can beat the Dolphins best offer and if they do, he goes to a team more talent deprived than Houston.  They can probably get him FA WR if one shakes free (Robinson, JuJu, Godwin etc) but with the draft picks they would have to give up, the team we saw this past year will be the same team Watson joins with the addition of CJ Moseley (whatever he is at this point) and a potential big splash at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Watson hasn't demanded a trade, and I wonder if he would, knowing the Texans best offer could potentially come from the Jets.  

I get why he would want to go to Miami.  Good coach, good defense, and the offense is ok - probably won't get much better with the draft capital and cap space needed for Watson, but he can certainly make them a playoff team.  

However, the Jets can beat the Dolphins best offer and if they do, he goes to a team more talent deprived than Houston.  They can probably get him FA WR if one shakes free (Robinson, JuJu, Godwin etc) but with the draft picks they would have to give up, the team we saw this past year will be the same team Watson joins with the addition of CJ Moseley (whatever he is at this point) and a potential big splash at WR.

The Fins can still afford to upgrade the receiving corps even if they sign Watson. They are in very good cap shape, young team not paying a bunch of people. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Fins can still afford to upgrade the receiving corps even if they sign Watson. They are in very good cap shape, young team not paying a bunch of people. 

You're probably right.  When would Watson's cap hit start really affecting them?  

Neither the Dolphins or Jets seem like a place a WR would want to go without them overpaying, but with Watson in the mix, i'm sure they, Dolphins especially, would become the premier FA WR landing spot. 

Thankfully, IF Robinson, Juju or Godwin shake free, I don't believe any of them are elite WR's...and only A-Rob is a true #1.

Edited by SCBills

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Watson can veto a trade to the Jets, or anywhere else he doesn't want to go.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He apparently has a no-trade clause in his contract, so he can demand a trade and still veto any he doesn't like.

Ok then ha... well, apparently Deshaun Watson has full control.  If that's the case, if i'm their GM/Ownership, i'm just asking him who he wants us to hire and then doing it. 

You can't lose a Top 5 QB and not get back the best haul possible.  I say that second part because only the Texans seem capable of trading a young top 5 QB.

Edited by SCBills