Texans believe Watson has played his last snap for the team

Penfield45

Everyone seems to disagree about whether this makes Watson a bad guy.  Tired of arguing about that....

I'm interested to see where Watson goes and what the Texans are able to get for him.  I have to think the Jets are a front runner because of the draft picks they can offer.  I'd put the Dolphins right up there, too, except I doubt they are ready to move on from Tua just yet and I doubt Tua has much trade value at this point.  I'm thinking Watson would cost both the Jets first round picks, Darnold, and another high pick this year or in the 2022 draft.  I know they probably don't want to trade him to an AFC team, but no other teams have that much draft capital to offer in trade.  I suppose SF is a possibility, but they would have to offer their first this year, plus someone like Nick Bosa, and maybe more.  Really an unprecedented situation...Any other ideas on a possible NFC landing spot?  Washington?   

3 hours ago, Luka said:

I dunno, we're in the AFC Championship with a young QB, Pittsburgh is going to be a mess of a team while they attempt to replace Ben and while Aaron is certainly playing at a high level, has he ever spoken about how long he's going to play?

I think if JJ really wants to compete for a Super Bowl for the next 5 years, we're one of the teams that's set up to do it.

I’m with you, I don’t see Pitt dropping that much money on him for 1 and if he’s out to win, it’s not the right place to go. 

GB makes sense to me. 

I’d love to have him here, not sure there is money for him, but pass rush is a huge need.  He’s a great, but older player.  Have to think it would require getting rid of some of the guys on the line.

4 hours ago, Luka said:

I dunno, we're in the AFC Championship with a young QB, Pittsburgh is going to be a mess of a team while they attempt to replace Ben and while Aaron is certainly playing at a high level, has he ever spoken about how long he's going to play?

I think if JJ really wants to compete for a Super Bowl for the next 5 years, we're one of the teams that's set up to do it.

Unlike every single player currently on the Bills, Watt has a highly self promotional streak.  I’m not sure I’d go for him being a locker room disruption risk and an injury risk rolled into one.  I think the locker room thing is probably low risk, but not no risk.  The injury risk is high.

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

True but those former Bills players were gotten rid of by the new HC/GM in the usual (cut, traded, not re-signed, etc).  They didn't leave because they were unhappy with the direction of the franchise or the ownership.  

Yea I wasn't suggesting they would all leave for that reason. I think you have conflated two points slightly. The first is that I think the 5 or 6 guys with options will be looking to get out. The second, separate, point is there are not a lot of guys there who are in for the long haul for a whole range of reasons - some it is because they have options, some is age, some is lack of talent - so there are not a lot of guys on that roster thinking "man I am tied in here for the long haul and our QB is threatening to quit on us". I just don't think those foundation pieces are in place. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

This sounds crazy, but if I’m Baltimore, I’d trade Lamar for him straight up 

Houston would decline

34 minutes ago, mannc said:

Everyone seems to disagree about whether this makes Watson a bad guy.  Tired of arguing about that....

I'm interested to see where Watson goes and what the Texans are able to get for him.  I have to think the Jets are a front runner because of the draft picks they can offer.  I'd put the Dolphins right up there, too, except I doubt they are ready to move on from Tua just yet and I doubt Tua has much trade value at this point.  I'm thinking Watson would cost both the Jets first round picks, Darnold, and another high pick this year or in the 2022 draft.  I know they probably don't want to trade him to an AFC team, but no other teams have that much draft capital to offer in trade.  I suppose SF is a possibility, but they would have to offer their first this year, plus someone like Nick Bosa, and maybe more.  Really an unprecedented situation...Any other ideas on a possible NFC landing spot?  Washington?   

Hebert for Watson might be interesting. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Houston would decline

Hebert for Watson might be interesting. 

Why would LA make that trade?  Herbert's one of the very few QBs in the league who might be as good as Watson and he's on a cost-controlled contract for another three seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Why would LA make that trade?  Herbert's one of the very few QBs in the league who might be as good as Watson and he's on a cost-controlled contract for another three seasons.

I would not do if I was LA.  But depends where you see yourself vs Mahomes. I am not a big Watson fan, but more people seem to put him up there as  in the discussion with Mahomes.  Hebert may get there, but he may not. 

Just now, Chaos said:

I would not do if I was LA.  But depends where you see yourself vs Mahomes. I am not a big Watson fan, but more people seem to put him up there as  in the discussion with Mahomes.  Hebert may get there, but he may not. 

There's about as much chance of the Chargers making that trade as there is Buffalo trading Allen straight up for Watson.  It's simply unthinkable.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

There's about as much chance of the Chargers making that trade as there is Buffalo trading Allen straight up for Watson.  It's simply unthinkable.

Who do you think gives the Chargers the best chance to win in 2021 with a new HC, Watson or Hebert ?  In Buffalo the chance to win in 2021 is clearly better with Josh. 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Who do you think gives the Chargers the best chance to win in 2021 with a new HC, Watson or Hebert ?  

That's debatable.  Herbert just broke a bunch of NFL rookie passing records, he's 6'6", and he's the only QB in the league who I think can match up athletically with Josh Allen.  He won't be traded. 

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Disagree that TB shouldn’t be on the list.  They have what, 1 more year of the TB12 Experience?

Yeah same with GB, Rodgers doesn't have that many years left.  Even Seattle, Wilson is getting up there in age.

Would be amazed if he was traded within the conference, would seem dumb particularly when you add in all the young QB's in the AFC, Mahomes,, Allen, Mayfield, Herbert, Burrows, & Jackson.  Throw in Lawrence in Jax, no need to add more competition against yourself.  Look at the NFL, who do you have that's young and great.  A few boarderline, may become great, but still need to show more.

8 hours ago, BananaB said:

I find this situation so funny. Employee mad because the owner didn’t consult him on who he wanted him to hire. 

Watson is a ***** baby. 

I mean, ordinarily yes, but if said employee has unique talents and said owner promised to consult him, then it is a broken promise

53 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Just read that McVay is not totally happy with Goff.  Maybe a trade of Goff, Woods, and a couple of picks for Watson?

Not happy with the guy who played his ass off in 2 games, 1 and 2 weeks out from surgery on his thumb that might ruin his hands/career?

That’s gratitude for ya I guess

The new GM is not a moron.  He knows he trades Watson, he loses the team, hopes fir the future, and even though they haven’t gone far, the fans there have been used to the playoffs fir a long time.

Would any of you if you’re career is on the line seriously give up one of the best up and coming QB’s in the league, or would you repair a relationship?  Bottom line is they own his contract and a hefty one for quite some time.  For those thinking)g if other teams, I hope you checked out their cap space for the next five years and their needs.   That’s how GM’s think and owners.  

Could it happen, sure, but is it likely, no.

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Also, if I'm Frazier I cancel my interview.  

Frazier doesn't have other options. If he wants a head coaching job that's the one. In a way it could work out for both sides. Frazier wouldn't be under any real pressure to win right away, he just needs to bring order to the locker room. Which I believe he could accomplish. And the Texans don't need him to be their long term head coach, they just need him to right the ship for a couple years to placate their best player before bringing in someone they can win with long term. The Texans are going to be in bad shape for a couple years no matter what they do but they can stop the bleeding. 2 years to recover is a lot better than 10.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's the absolute most likely scenario. He's going to Miami. No doubt in my mind. No one else can beat a Miami deal. 

The one thing I could see standing in the way is optics. Would be a really bad look to trade your young top 5 QB to get your own 1st round pick back.