Bills need to practice more inside the stadium in Dec/Jan

One thing about the Superbowl teams of the 90‘s is that they were great at home in cold/snowy/windy weather. I think for the current Bills to be able to do better at Bills stadium is that they need more practice inside the stadium during the winter months. During the game last night, we saw Allen and Singletary slip on the ground a couple of times. Both QB’s struggled with deep passes due to the wind. I think if the Bills had more practice in those conditions, they could realize how far they could/couldn’t accurately throw the ball. Same goes with attempting FG’s. 

This isn’t a knock on the team. The weather impacted both teams offenses last night. I remember back in the 90’s when teams did not want to come to Buffalo for the playoffs because of the weather as it was an advantage for the Bills. It would be great to see the Bills use the weather to their advantage. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Do we know that they don’t now? I know the field house is available but I suspect the stadium is as well. 

Not sure if they are or how often? Listening to WGR, it was mentioned the team had a practice inside the Fieldhouse which was closed to the media. I get that the team has to conduct practices away from the media as to not give away anything for the game. But they also need the experience of practicing in the elements inside the stadium so the team is not impacted by the weather. I remember during the playoff drought when we played the Steelers at the Ralph, Bills players were sliding and falling all over the place, while the Steelers were prepared for the weather and beat the Bills easily.

I get what you are saying but there is no way to really practice deep passes in swirling and gusting winds.  Once the ball is lofted high enough the wind is gonna take it where it takes it.  If the winds are gusting better to not even try passes longer than 30 yards.

Not sure any amount of practice would have prepared them for the wind conditions which apparently were very strange even for Buffalo...wind was gusting intermittently meaning one play there was no wind and the next might be a 25 or 30 mph gust on the field.

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

I get what you are saying but there is no way to really practice deep passes in swirling and gusting winds.  Once the ball is lofted high enough the wind is gonna take it where it takes it.  If the winds are gusting better to not even try passes longer than 30 yards.

Agree 100% I think if the Bills had more experience (whether practice or game), they could make the determination on how far they could throw it (as you pointed out 25-30 yards) and don’t bother attempting anything beyond that.

2 minutes ago, Billznut said:

It’s still 3-4 years away minimum. Allen’s career is going to be half over by the time they’re playing in a dome. 

Even if Allen's career is over in 8 years (which is.. debatable to say the least).. the team will actually exist after he is gone. 

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Even if Allen's career is over in 8 years (which is.. debatable to say the least).. the team will actually exist after he is gone. 

Allen had played 3 years already. Add 3-4 more, that’s 6 or 7. Which is half of a 12-14 year career. Which is what one should reasonably expect for Allen. Hopefully longer. Not sure if you’re debating math here or what. Yes build a dome. It ain’t happening soon. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

One thing about the Superbowl teams of the 90‘s is that they were great at home in cold/snowy/windy weather. I think for the current Bills to be able to do better at Bills stadium is that they need more practice inside the stadium during the winter months. During the game last night, we saw Allen and Singletary slip on the ground a couple of times. Both QB’s struggled with deep passes due to the wind. I think if the Bills had more practice in those conditions, they could realize how far they could/couldn’t accurately throw the ball. Same goes with attempting FG’s. 

This isn’t a knock on the team. The weather impacted both teams offenses last night. I remember back in the 90’s when teams did not want to come to Buffalo for the playoffs because of the weather as it was an advantage for the Bills. It would be great to see the Bills use the weather to their advantage. Go Bills!

They practiced inside the stadium at least once last week and have at various points throughout the season.

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Back in the 90's they also didn't have as large of a fieldhouse (fieldhouse back then was smaller with lower ceiling)  and I believe two full size outdoor fields next to it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Penfield45 said:

stadiums can be built in 2.5 years these days 

Not talking about just the physical building of the dome. They also have to find location, pass referendums, infrastructure etc. It’s going to be a few years considering nothing has been yet.