How did Murphy and Phillips play last night?

MrSarcasm

I thought they both played really well, definitely key players in the game. Phillips played 49% of the snaps, which has to be his season high. Murphy played 31%, not bad for being a healthy scratch for the 7-8 games prior.

7 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I know everyone is always on Murphy(rightfully so) but I'm curious on everyone's take on how he played last night.  Also what they thought of Harrison Phillips. Personally I thought Phillips played excellent. Thoughts?

I think Phillips has been good the past 5 games.  I think he has confidence that his knee is going to hold up.  I do feel his knee at the beginning of the year was affecting his play. 

• Like (+1) 3

Murphy deserves some credit, he's a veteran that's been a healthy scratch, never heard a word of complaining. He was obviously preparing for the time they called on him again and he played a great game last night. Against Lamar, you need an end to hold the edge and he did that. It was great to see.

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

16 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I know everyone is always on Murphy(rightfully so) but I'm curious on everyone's take on how he played last night.  Also what they thought of Harrison Phillips. Personally I thought Phillips played excellent. Thoughts?

Given that the Ravens have one of best lines in the NFL,  i thought Phillips had his best game in career and Murphy did very holding edge.  

Both Phillips & Murphy did their job last night, and they made some critical tackles.

Phillips definitely played his best game of the season.

Murphy brought pressure and made a great play in forcing Lamar Jackson to not find a running lane which ended in a sack.

I think Murphy did his job exactly by the scheme they played. He didn't get a sack, but I'm assuming his job in the scheme was to keep Jackson from escaping to his right. That's a tall order, and Murphy looked like a vet. Perfect fit for that game, IMO.

Phillips had, I believe, the best game I've ever seen him in. He slipped tackles (against a decent line!) in a way that I didn't think he was capable of. And, he even looked fast. 

Great job by both players, IMO.

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Phillips's best game this season without question. 

I just watched the game again and when butler went down it that first drive Philip’s came in and balled out I paused the game and rewind it to just watch him he got in the backfield over and over. He was my mvp and of course the pick 6 was huge 

Murphy tricked Jackson into keeping the ball on a zone read by taking a fake step inside towards the RB and then went back outside when Jackson kept it and there was nowhere for him to go as he strung the play out and Jackson lost 3 or 4 yards...

For a guy who hasn't hardly played for many weeks to step up in this type of game says a lot about how he prepares and how focused and professional he is.

• Like (+1) 3