Trent Murphy was worthy of the cap hit

Max Fischer

He had a good game in the playoffs where it counts the most. I thought Murphy not being cut in the regular season might be the biggest mistake of the year since that 8 million in rollover would have helped to retain more players for 2021. But being a significant contributor for the playoffs is worth it. I was really impressed by what I saw from Murphy. 

His cap hit did not prevent them from signing any free agents.  They would have had the same cap hit if they chose to keep Lawson.  I still would rather have Lawson. He was and still is the better player.  They should have picked up his 5th year option and forced him to play out his contract before committing to him though.  Either way Murphy will be gone and that cap space will go to Milano and Williams.  

This should be remembered when ever people are wanting to cut players. I mean lets think of all of the players that most people have wanted to cut off the team this year. Trent Murphy, McKenzie, Roberts, Lee Smith, Yeldon, Barkley, Norman, etc.

Not everyone is going to be a super star, and some players are role players. It might cost more, but paying for solid depth is not a bad thing. The team can do it when they have a QB on a rookie salary. Tougher decisions will be made down the road, but for now you build depth like they have. On the other side of the coin, after JA gets paid, thats when vets want to come on lower salaries for a chance at a ring. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

His cap hit did not prevent them from signing any free agents.  They would have had the same cap hit if they chose to keep Lawson.  I still would rather have Lawson. He was and still is the better player.  They should have picked up his 5th year option and forced him to play out his contract before committing to him though.  Either way Murphy will be gone and that cap space will go to Milano and Williams.  

1.  Lawson wasn't a one year cap hit decision like Murphy.   Shaq returned to his pre-contract run play level this year and now Miami is stuck with him for next season.

2. Not picking up his option is the only reason they got one good season out of Lawson in 2019.   He was not bought in......he was basically flying to South Carolina the night after every home game to go play Wooderson on campus on his day off.   The contract run got him focused.    Don't know how much more clear that 3 poor seasons before he got paid and 1 immediately after he got paid can make that.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1.  Lawson wasn't a one year cap hit decision like Murphy.   Shaq returned to his pre-contract run play level this year and now Miami is stuck with him for next season.

2. Not picking up his option is the only reason they got one good season out of Lawson in 2019.   He was not bought in......he was basically flying to South Carolina the night after every home game to go play Wooderson on campus on his day off.   The contract run got him focused.    Don't know how much more clear that 3 poor seasons before he got paid and 1 immediately after he got paid can make that.

What is Wooderson?

You may be right.  Keep in mind the first two years he had a bad shoulder (year 1) and Rex was asking him to play OLB.  He outplayed Murphy the next two years and it really wasn't close.  

Water under the bridge now.  Liek I said Murphy will be gone, they will draft another Edge and DT and they will hopefully use the cap space for Milano and Williams

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What is Wooderson?

You may be right.  Keep in mind the first two years he had a bad shoulder (year 1) and Rex was asking him to play OLB.  He outplayed Murphy the next two years and it really wasn't close.  

Water under the bridge now.  Liek I said Murphy will be gone, they will draft another Edge and DT and they will hopefully use the cap space for Milano and Williams

1)

image.png.ba544e01a61614acafb2e8aaa9d00646.png

2) Murphy was a huge disappointment but Murphy was hobbled in 2018 and their 2019 seasons including playoffs weren't very different at all.   Shaq had some more pressures and TFL but Murphy forced fumbles and collected an INT and 2 fumbles.   Turnovers are gold.    Couting playoffs Murphy had 7 sacks and Shaq 6.5.    Would you have been happy paying Shaq $11M to put up 16 tackles and 4 sacks this year?   I think not.   Just because one player wasn't productive at a bloated salary doesn't lower the bar of expectation.   

15 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

We’ll never know if the Defense would have played as without Murphy but he seemed to have a constant positive impact on containing Lamar Jackson. 

Overall, I think Epenesa has earned the playing time but perhaps the effort of “Murphy-the-Ravens-Killer“ is worth the off-season cap hit. 

Personally, I’ll take the risk of losing a starter next year in exchange for the opportunity of going to the Super Bowl this year.  

Sidenote: I think the cap rises and/or Beane figures out how to keep both Milano and D Williams.  

I get that we're all high on endorphins after the win, but this is one of the worst takes I've ever read on this site. 

10mm cap hit is "worth it" for a guy that was a healthy scratch for half the year, and made 0 impact in the regular season ? A decent playoff game with a few good plays (not even GREAT plays, just GOOD) is not even remotely close to outweighing how bad he was the rest of the year.  

If we're looking at a cap hit to contribution ratio he's easily the most overpaid guy on the team. 

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Lol. Every thread that focuses on a DL, you’re sure to say you peace how Beane screwed up by letting shaq go.  In Beanes eyes, it was all about cap flexibility this coming year.  That’s why Phillips and Shaq are gone.  At this stage of the game, I don’t see how Lawson or Phillips would’ve made a big enough difference to be worth not having the flexibility Beane wanted.  

you’ve said over and over how bad our DL was, that we NEEDED better pass rushers and how Beane screwed up with this DL.  

the DL has been pretty effective since your daily rants early on and we have the flexibility to cut everyone and field a brand new DL next year if we wanted to.  They played an extremely disciplined game and didn’t miss Shaq one bit last night.  Shaq played a GREAT game vs Baltimore last year.....and we did even better this year without him.

He played very well against the Ravens.

If the salary cap isn't disgusting this off season and we can re-sign everyone we want, then who really cares about his potential roll over cap savings.  

We can't make mistakes on guys like that with the Josh Allen contract coming up, but right now, the FO has had that wiggle room. 

He's a gamer always leaves it all on the field and i would think McD would rather have a veteran ut there this week in such a huge game than he would a 2 yr player they have seen much more and might recognize offenses quicker it only takes a split second to miss something and that could be a L .

Heading into the future the younger players i'm all in on but i think the rest of this season we may need the more experienced players out there unless there is just a huge difference in the players abilities . If you had some one like Jerry Hughes and sat him for Epenesa that would not work so go with Trent .

Knowledge is power hands on experience beats book smarts every time so i'll be voting for the vet in this case .

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I get that we're all high on endorphins after the win, but this is one of the worst takes I've ever read on this site. 

10mm cap hit is "worth it" for a guy that was a healthy scratch for half the year, and made 0 impact in the regular season ? A decent playoff game with a few good plays (not even GREAT plays, just GOOD) is not even remotely close to outweighing how bad he was the rest of the year.  

If we're looking at a cap hit to contribution ratio he's easily the most overpaid guy on the team. 

The Worst Ever? Where do I get my trophy? Will you get a trophy for absurd hyperbole?

If you could provide a magical machine, I'm sure we'd all like to go back and have a regular 2020, including pre-season games and whisper in McBeane's ear that Epenesa would eventually supplant Murphy in the line up. But (and here's the big "but"), they did not for very sound reasons. 

While you're building the magic bus, perhaps you could travel to alternate realities to let us know if the Bills would have beat the Ravens without Murphy in the line up? Murphy wasn't a world-beater but there seemed to be a reason the coaching staff used Murphy on nearly every key down and that it just so happens the Bills did well.  

In retrospect, we all agree Murphy wasn't worth the $8M (ahem, not "$10mm') cap hit next year. But there is ample evidence that Murphy had much more than "0" (zero) impact on the Ravens game. 

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

The Worst Ever? Where do I get my trophy? Will you get a trophy for absurd hyperbole?

If you could provide a magical machine, I'm sure we'd all like to go back and have a regular 2020, including pre-season games and whisper in McBeane's ear that Epenesa would eventually supplant Murphy in the line up. But (and here's the big "but"), they did not for very sound reasons. 

While you're building the magic bus, perhaps you could travel to alternate realities to let us know if the Bills would have beat the Ravens without Murphy in the line up? Murphy wasn't a world-beater but there seemed to be a reason the coaching staff used Murphy on nearly every key down and that it just so happens the Bills did well.  

In retrospect, we all agree Murphy wasn't worth the $8M (ahem, not "$10mm') cap hit next year. But there is ample evidence that Murphy had much more than "0" (zero) impact on the Ravens game. 

I said "one of" the worst takes on this site. I think that's justified and not hyperbole (absurd or otherwise). The idea that Murphy was worth the cap hit this year is ludicrous. 

Would we have won the game without Murphy? I'd say probably, but as you pointed out there's no way to know for sure. 

Does everyone agree that Murphy was NOT worth the 10mm* cap hit? I'll point out that the title of this thread is "Trent Murphy was worthy of the cap hit". Have you changed your mind since the original post? 

*Murphy's cap hit was 9,775,000 this year. I rounded it up to 10 

I'm not disputing that Murphy had a positive impact on the Ravens game, I even said in my post he had a decent game and made some good plays. The "0 impact" was my assessment of what he contributed in the regular season.