Trent Murphy was worthy of the cap hit

Max Fischer

51 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I have never seen such roster moves in my life.  Our coach and GM were pulling guys off the bench I'd never seen all season, and adjusted our D to stop their O.... Better than I have ever seen. 

And wow is our team well coached.   They are prepped for and executing in every single scenario.  This is a SB team.  I just hope we pull it off.

This is what sticking  to the process of constant roster building and playing who is playing the best get you.   The wins just happen.  

As many times as Murphy set the edge correctly last night (including the one play for a loss), he also bit on the RB fake numerous times early in the game.   Maybe he had Frazier get in his ear hear telling him to remember to be his part of being 1 of 11.   As Bellicheat would say "DO.....YOUR........JOB"

Edited by Turf Toejam 34

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Murphy hasn’t been good at keeping contain.  You might think that he was good at it.....but he was never good at it.  He’s been extremely undisciplined.  In both ravens games, he was amazing

i guess I should clarify. He has the length and speed to do it, when asked to do it. I don’t think at any point in time he was asked last night to rush hard to go after Lamar, and lose that edge.

I will also say that the Bills entire D-line was exceptional at containing Lamar and not losing contain. They didn’t make a single mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Keep contain is his strength?  Idk about that.  He was pretty much the worst run defender ever minus both ravens games

Thanks for the play last night and a few moments here and there but he was signed to a three year $22.5 million contract.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/buffalo-bills/limit-100/

Ninth highest paid player on team.  Injuries aside did he play to that level when healthy?  Was he our ninth best player when out there.  Much cheaper guys out there who could have done what he did (look at his three year stat total):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpTr00.htm

Hard pass from me.  Just didn’t work out.  That’s life.  

Think the money is better spent on trying to keep Daryl Williams (protecting the franchise), Milano or his replacement, better CB opposite White, etc.  Or, if not possible, elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Thanks for the play last night and a few moments here and there but he was signed to a three year $22.5 million contract.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/buffalo-bills/limit-100/

Ninth highest paid player on team.  Injuries aside did he play to that level when healthy?  Was he our ninth best player when out there.  Much cheaper guys out there who could have done what he did (look at his three year stat total):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpTr00.htm

Hard pass from me.  Just didn’t work out.  That’s life.  

Think the money is better spent on trying to keep Daryl Williams (protecting the franchise), Milano or his replacement, better CB opposite White, etc.  Or, if not possible, elsewhere.

Who’s considering resigning Murphy next season?  Certainly not me.....or any other Bills fan.  Hopefully not Beane either. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Murphy hasn’t been good at keeping contain.  You might think that he was good at it.....but he was never good at it.  He’s been extremely undisciplined.  In both ravens games, he was amazing

Yes, and he actually allowed one big run by their back on an option play because he went for Jackson.  I honestly believe he was assigned to be the Jackson Spy, he went for him every time there was an option and he was VERY disciplined in keeping him in front of him, none of that is what Murphy usually does.  I feel like they have him ONE job and he executed it well.

• Agree 1

I have been pretty defensive of Murphy all along. I think he gets way to much hate around these parts. The guy isn’t great and he has been banged up...but when he’s out there he plays with a burst. He plays super hard and plays through the echo of the whistle. He absolutely at least effects the qbs timing when he’s on the field. I think he’s a solid player and should be rotated in a lot more then he is. I’m a Hughes/Murphy/AJ guy with our current DEs. 

He’s a Bills message board dinosaur. There always used to be a guy or two that got decent money, that just got hammered daily because he wasn’t flashing like crazy. It doesn’t happen as much now because we are actually good but 2009-2015 it was constant. Murphy played well last night and was a big reason for that performance. I have never heard him complain about not being out there and when he got the call to go in, he stepped up and was more then ready. Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Harry has played much better since being sat down as well. Sometimes it takes some perspective. 

Murph did us solid this week, and he may get another chance for it. 

It took Harry the better part of the season to trust his knee. I think that's why they sat him and he's responded. Trent was worth the cap hit last night. He's like Shaq on setting the edge. Nice if we can sign him at a much lower rate as a role player.

2 hours ago, eee1776 said:

I guess he just felt like playing last night. To bad he could have played that way all year.

Yeah and if he did... we coulda won the division and won at least 12 games.  If only.... 

On a less sarcastic note, I think Murphy exemplifies the way Beane has built this team and the way the coaches coach it.  We have a solid roster top to bottom, including Practice Squad players all fulfilling a specific role and weekly, often widely divergent game plans.  Coming in to yesterday’s game, who ..knee for certain.. Murphy was going to play and perform like that.   We expected more 4-3 sets, but how much?   Would we run the ball?  Feature more McKenzie sweeps?  

There were questions all over about which players would suit up and what roles they would perform.  And you have to know the Ravens had the same questions.  It makes the team hard to prepare for.  And what’s better, when these guys get plugged in, like last night, the perform big time!  

It’s so impressive.  The way they’re specifically game planning, not just plays and formations, but players and rotations on the lines for each opponent and each opportunity.  

I genuinely hope we keep this team and coaching staff together for several more years.   

Go Bills!!! 

4 hours ago, taglientep said:

Been saying it for a while, he’s not bad, he’s just not great.  Smart player who had a great game last year against Balt.   Helps to have “fresh” legs and know how to play contain.   

Sets the edge well, as did Shaq.  It’s perfect for playing Baltimore and containing Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1