Trent Murphy was worthy of the cap hit

Max Fischer

We’ll never know if the Defense would have played as without Murphy but he seemed to have a constant positive impact on containing Lamar Jackson. 

Overall, I think Epenesa has earned the playing time but perhaps the effort of “Murphy-the-Ravens-Killer“ is worth the off-season cap hit. 

Personally, I’ll take the risk of losing a starter next year in exchange for the opportunity of going to the Super Bowl this year.  

Sidenote: I think the cap rises and/or Beane figures out how to keep both Milano and D Williams.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Murphy was more visible in this one game than the rest of the season combined. I’m not sure why but I certainly won’t complain. Thanks Trent!

He had the least wear and tear on his body at this point in the season.   He played a great game yesterday.  Week in, week out this season, role players have stepped up when it's their turn to play.  His most memorable play was caging Jackson on one of his runs.  He held his ground and then closed in.  Looked like Jackson didn't want any part of the business decision.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

In a sense what makes him inadequate usually; his pass rush abilities, were his boost in this game. He's a vet, he knows that he can't chase Lamar down but what he can do is use his experience and contain Lamar. Like an old savvy NHL defenseman, he used his positioning to make up for his declining athleticism which just so happens to be exactly what a D-line needs to do against Lamar.  I applaud his work!

• Like (+1) 8

I have never seen such roster moves in my life.  Our coach and GM were pulling guys off the bench I'd never seen all season, and adjusted our D to stop their O.... Better than I have ever seen. 

And wow is our team well coached.   They are prepped for and executing in every single scenario.  This is a SB team.  I just hope we pull it off.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Murphy was more visible in this one game than the rest of the season combined. I’m not sure why but I certainly won’t complain. Thanks Trent!

For one, Daryl Johnson was hurt last week and on the injury report this week, so it made sense to activate Trent tonight. He's a solid player when he is healthy, and as others said, hes well rested after about 8 weeks of inactive. 

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Murphy played well yesterday. But that’s also because his main task played to his strengths— he had to keep contain  and set the edge. He did a very nice job. 

Keep contain is his strength?  Idk about that.  He was pretty much the worst run defender ever minus both ravens games

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Keep contain is his strength?  Idk about that.  He was pretty much the worst run defender ever minus both ravens games

i sort of think of keeping contain as a different thing than stopping the run. He basically had to set the edge— make sure no one (esp Lamar) got to the edge. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i sort of think of keeping contain as a different thing than stopping the run. He basically had to set the edge— make sure no one (esp Lamar) got to the edge. 

Murphy hasn’t been good at keeping contain.  You might think that he was good at it.....but he was never good at it.  He’s been extremely undisciplined.  In both ravens games, he was amazing

• Like (+1) 1

This was my favorite article from last week, and it applies to Murphy, who I think has the athleticism to deal with Baltimore’s o-line  maulers, who are the exact opposite (in terms of athletic profile) of Indy’s o-line:  https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/xs-and-os-column-task-for-bills-d-line-goes-from-dancing-bears-to-big/article_d2585aba-55d7-11eb-a0b3-4be0ffb75d3e.html

“The Buffalo Bills faced the most athletic offensive line in the NFL last week.

The Indianapolis Colts have a group of dancing bears. There’s an analytic measurement called RAS – the Relative Athletic Score. It puts draft prospects’ measurements (height, weight, 40 time, vertical jump, etc.) on a scale of zero to 10 in comparison with all the other players at his position.

The Colts are a freak show. Four of their five starters are 9.4 or better, with tackle Braden Smith at 9.72 and guard Quenton Nelson at 9.67.

This week the Bills face an entirely different animal.

If you looked at the RAS numbers, you’d think the Ravens’ offensive line stinks. All five of their starters were below 5.0 entering the draft. Left tackle Orlando Brown is 0.7. Right tackle Tyre Phillips is 2.24. Left guard Bradley Bozeman is 1.19.”

• Like (+1) 3