Josh Allen’s flop

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I am 100% fine with it.

My biggest beef with the defensive side of the game is all the absolutely unnecessary hits.  Defenders seem just unable to resist lowering their shoulder and blasting a guy who is already going to (or already on) the ground when literally just a graze of your pinky finger would count them down by contact.  Or the runner is already going out of bounds and the defender lays a hit on them an inch from the sideline just because they can.  Or the runner is crossing the goal line and gets blasted two or three yards deep into the end zone where it is already too late to cause a fumble.

The defender on the Allen flop sold NOT making unnecessary contact every bit as much as Allen sold being hit.  The instant contact was made the defender threw his own hands up in the classic "I didn't do anything I'm innocent" pose that ironically makes you look even more guilty.  You see it all the time on block in the back penalties on returns.  If you were a security guard posted outside of a store, and someone walks out and randomly declares to you that they are no thief, they didn't steal anything, they're completely innocent they tells ya, wouldn't you think they did something?

So no I don't think this "hit" was that dangerous (although things can happen any time you go to the ground), but Josh taught him a lesson to keep his damn hands to himself after the ball is already gone.  This wasn't like a receiver forgoing making a play on the ball specifically to try to draw a penalty,  there was actual unnecessary contact and Josh just made sure the ref noticed.

Disagree with letting up because it looks like a runner is going out of bounds. 

How many times have you seen this exact scenario and the runner DOESNT go out of bounds but turns upfield for a big gain. 

If im the coach I tell my players anyone on the field of play gets tackled. 

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Disagree with letting up because it looks like a runner is going out of bounds. 

How many times have you seen this exact scenario and the runner DOESNT go out of bounds but turns upfield for a big gain. 

If im the coach I tell my players anyone on the field of play gets tackled. 

I knew someone would try to bring that up.  On those extremely rare plays, the runner didn't have clear momentum carrying them out bounds or is even that close to the sideline, and the defender is either being lazy and taking the play for granted, or afraid to get a penalty hitting the quarterback.  I'm talking about the plays where the runner would need titanium ankles and the ability to break the laws of physics to get their toe down and change direction literally on a dime.

No problem with it. WRs call for PI all the time. D linemen always cry for holding. We've seen so much worse. What about all the times he's gotten roughed up without a flag? If Brady did it all people would say is, " what a heads up play by the goat"! Gimme a break.

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Al and CC were groaning on that one :)

My take....why bother touching him?  looks good on him. 

Yeah, IMO that was a line-setting call. 

Josh's acting didn't so much matter IMO.  It was an unnecessary late "You see me?  You feel me?" kind of hit

Trefs were setting a line "none of that, we will flag your extracurriculars"

As opposed to last year where Josh was getting shoved around and hit a bit late pretty regularly.

• Like (+1) 1