Justin Zimmer on Taron Johnson's Pick-6

JESSEFEFFER

4 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Next Gen Stats had Justin at 18.5+ mph and the only DT clocked higher this season is Aaron Donald.  Justin was the first Bill to get to Taron for the celebration and, more importantly, I think he tipped that pass.  The deflection slowed it down and made it land short.  If so, I would want him written into the story of one of the biggest plays in Bills history.

Flip him to fullback, the next Ricard  :)

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Lamar Jackson is a terrific player, but he surprisingly gave up chasing Taron at the Bills 30. Sure, maybe he figured Tre was going to screen him off anyhow, or he wanted to save it for the next series -- blah, blah. But everybody here who's watched Josh the last 3 years knows that Josh would have run down Taron -- or died trying. Sometimes it's not so hard to measure heart. 

Exhibit A: Josh pulling a fumbled snap from the pile and fighting for a first down vs Cam Newton balking on jumping on a loose ball in clear space leading to a turnover.

Jackson should have at least tried to shove the blocker towards Taron.  Could have gotten lucky and tripped him up or forced him out of bounds or something.  You don't give up on a play like that, especially in the playoffs.  He wasn't even in a position to get lit up or blindsided for trying to make the play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

thats just the camera angle. Ball wasn’t tipped. Jackson’s pass goes to the left of his hand 

Maybe.  But Justin's hand is not stationary, it is actually swiping at the ball.  I thought this was the best camera shot because of the resolution.  You can see Justin's fingers and the laces on the ball which shows extra wobble, i.e. nose up then nose down.  I'd like someone to ask Justin if he got it at all.  If you think there is a better angle/shot I'd like to see it.  There is one where you can't even see the ball until it had passed by him, either post tip or not.

3 hours ago, wjag said:

I often marvel at how players don't get hurt during impromptu celebrations like that.  My first reaction was don't hurt him!  At least he could see him coming in the TV...

Embarrassing NFL injuries:

A Tampa Bay kicker years ago, Gramatica, injured himself celebrating a rather average FG...

Former Jaguar's coach Del Rio brought an axe into their locker room and a piece of wood to demonstrate his motivational phrase of "Keep chopping wood". Their punter playing with the axe sinks it into his plant foot and was out for the season.

A few others.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/762671-24-most-embarrassing-injuries-in-nfl-history

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I did a search to find which of the Gramatica kickers hurt himself celebrating (Bill on a 42 yard, 1st quarter field goal) and found this:

23 Athletes Injured While Celebrating

Last one I saw that made me think of this was when Mongo pile drove Lee Smith after his TD catch.

I’m not sure how they came up with those rankings.  After #22 I was wondering how the injuries could keep escalating.

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not sure how they came up with those rankings.  After #22 I was wondering how the injuries could keep escalating.

Yeah.  Under rotated back flip, broken neck and death five days later should qualify for #1 but maybe they thought it would be kicking dirt on his grave so they put him at an obscure #22.

The key play on that pick 6 was Milano getting a small piece of Andrews right before he tries to dive and make the tackle...without that he likely gets enough of Johnson to make a shoestring tackle and the Bills have it on their 2 or 3 yardline...as it was Johnson stumbles but quickly regains his footing and takes it to the house!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The key play on that pick 6 was Milano getting a small piece of Andrews right before he tries to dive and make the tackle...without that he likely gets enough of Johnson to make a shoestring tackle and the Bills have it on their 2 or 3 yardline...as it was Johnson stumbles but quickly regains his footing and takes it to the house!

It must have been one hell of a block because if you cue up the Next Gen Stats #89 just lays there for the entire play :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Lamar Jackson is a terrific player, but he surprisingly gave up chasing Taron at the Bills 30. Sure, maybe he figured Tre was going to screen him off anyhow, or he wanted to save it for the next series -- blah, blah. But everybody here who's watched Josh the last 3 years knows that Josh would have run down Taron -- or died trying. Sometimes it's not so hard to measure heart. 

I think this is a pretty damned weak interpretation. 

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Exhibit A: Josh pulling a fumbled snap from the pile and fighting for a first down vs Cam Newton balking on jumping on a loose ball in clear space leading to a turnover.

Jackson should have at least tried to shove the blocker towards Taron.  Could have gotten lucky and tripped him up or forced him out of bounds or something.  You don't give up on a play like that, especially in the playoffs.  He wasn't even in a position to get lit up or blindsided for trying to make the play.

Give Tre' Day some credit.  He wasn't gonna be shoved off the play.

• Like (+1) 1