QBR - Bills 2 Playoff Games Show How Flawed It Is

jwhit34

I liked the idea behind QBR, but it has never seemed to me to consistently pass the eye test. I've watched far too many games where it simply doesn't stack up to what I've seen from the QBs in a game.

I think that passer rating still has an edge, if you decide to 'play' with it a little, if you want to figure out why it isn't quite stacking up to a performance you thought was better, or worse, than it shows. Taking away an interception that should have been caught by a WR, for example, or maybe adding one in that a defender should have had, is probably going to give you a better reflection overall.

While that is subjective, it's only one thing that is subjective, not a bunch of them.

6 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Here are the QB stat lines for the Bills 2 playoff games:

BIlls vs. Colts                           Comp     Att     Comp %        Yds          Yds/Att      TD         Int        Rush       Yds       TD             QBR

Allen                                         26        35         74%         324             9.3         3          0            11         54        1             85.0

Rivers                                       27        46         59%         309             6.7         2          0              1         -1         0            92.1 

Bills vs. Ravens

Allen                                         23        37          62%         206             5.6        1          0              7          3         0             51.0

Jackson                                    14        24          58%         162             6.8        0          1              9         34        0             55.6

Not only are Allen's stats better in both games, does anyone watching either game, based solely on what they saw, conclude Rivers and/or Jackson outplayed Allen? No way. In the Colts game, Allen is superior in every statistical category and vs. the Ravens the only stat that Jackson's better is yards per attempt (and more rushing yards). 

It is really hard to take QBR seriously with ratings like this.  

I understand that QBR takes into account down and distance, and chance of winning game but I will have to agree these two show that QBR has a major flaw if Josh was worse than either of them.

7 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

It is really hard to take QBR seriously with ratings like this.

Wow, I figured all along that QBR was based on stats.  In both games, Allen was facing the statistically better defense.  In both games, Allen has little help from the running game and the opposing RBs were solid contributors.  Rivers was facing a game plan specifically designed to stop the RBs.  To Jackson's credit, our defensive game plan was mostly to stop him from running, but that opens up passing stats.  Both games were close into the 4th quarter.  In both games Allen outplayed his counterpart.

It turns out that QBR is quite subjective and based also on the inverse of awesomeness of your quarterback, or more appropriately the protection afforded to you by your offense line.

From Wikipedia:

• Each QB "action play" (passes, rushes, sacks, scrambles, or penalties attributable to the QB) is measured in terms of the expected points added (EPA)
  • Adjust for the difficulty of each play. EPA is adjusted based on the type and depth of a pass, and whether the QB was pressured.
  • If there is a completion, he only is credited for the typical number of yards after the catch (passer rating takes all yards into effect) based on the type and depth of the pass
  • There is a discount on garbage time, or a time where the score is out of reach near the end of the game.
  • Opponent adjustment: More credit is given with tougher defenses and vice versa.
  • QBR averages the adjusted EPA per play and transforms it to a 0 to 100 scale, with 50 being average.
Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

I've never liked QB stats of any kind.  There are just too many variables that take place on the field to properly judge a QB by any type of rating.  I'll just give one example: Two teams, one has a bruiser RB, the other has a great TE.  Team 1 drives down the field and in goal to go situations gives it to the RB to score TDs.  Team 2 passes to their TE for their goal to go TDs.  Both teams score a lot, but team 2's QB has a better rating because he throws a lot more TD passes than team 1's QB even though they may be equal in driving the ball down the field and both give their team an equal chance of winning.