1/16/21 Divisional Round Playoff BILLS GOING TO AFC CHAMPIONSHIP Postgame Thread

22 minutes ago, wjag said:

A baker's dozen thoughts on the game:

1.  Of course T Johnson's INT will be the play of the game, but it was Jerry Hughes' play right before that, that was most important.  He managed to get to Jackson and rush a throw to a wide and I mean wide open M Brown that would have gone for a game tying TD.

2.  How, and I do mean how did our DLine pull that off?  We haven't seen that all season. 

3.  I think Wink Martindale realized one drive too late that Huntley did not know the playbook.  You could see how long it was taking to call plays.  Going to 'ah just go out there and throw it' worked much better with the kid.

4.  Gabe Davis, you have to catch that TD.

5.  Allen missing on the deep throws all game.  It became clear why when NBC put the ball tracker on one.  You could see what happened when he missed a wide open Diggs.  The ball just went left at the end of the throw.  The wind just took it away.

6.  Wind was the biggest weather factor in that game.  Bad punts, bad throws, bad place kicks.

7.  I was joking with my Browns fan to start the game.  I asked if Baltimore would gift us a TD on a fumble.  Little did I know that the Baltimore center would get the case of the yips.  How does that happen?  I mean really, how does that happen four different times in the game?

8.  The Bills lone TD was a blown Baltimore coverage.  3 WRS on 2 DBs.  2020 Josh Allen sees that and immediately zips a throw there for a TD.

9.  The Ravens DB took away Beasley.  In the end it was probably okay.  He comes out of the game healthy.

10. The Bills OLine passed blocked their azzes off.  Judon did beat Dion for a blind side sack-fumble.  

11.  Interesting how Baltimore backed out of their blitzing persona and elected to play coverage.

12. I hope Jackson is okay.  He's not my favorite QB, but he plays to win.  He has changed the game. 

13. Can't leave without poking Tucker. Bahahahaha.  Welcome to Buffalo.  Love the look of disbelief in his eyes when he misses.  He is so clutch.  That's when you really knew it was windy in Buffalo.  I've seen the goal posts sway a lot more than that, but they were definitely moving.

Win 10 games or more and get a playoff birth -- check

Win the AFC East -- check

Win a playoff game -- check

Win a divisional round game -- check-o-mongo

Win a conference championship game -- to be checked....

Hughes actually took himself out after that play and I was yelling "No Jerry stay out for one more!"  In the end it turned out alright :)

Re: the wind - I hope this silences all the people who said it wouldnt be a factor bc Josh's strong arm would "cut through it".   Sure it can help for short throws on a line, but for long balls the law of physics gets more involved.  Once the ball is up there on the swirling winds it can go anywhere, regardless of how strong your arm is.  They pointed out on the broadcast that Huntley's overthrow to wide open receiver on 4th down was same end that the

wind took over on Josh's overthrows earlier in the game.  For this team, where the deep ball is one of the keys for the offense, high wind is the worst weather element they can encounter IMO.  Even in snow/rain/ slippery field - most times that favors receivers who know where they are going vs defense having to react 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

Hughes actually took himself out after that play and I was yelling "No Jerry stay out for one more!"  In the end it turned out alright :)

Re: the wind - I hope this silences all the people who said it wouldnt be a factor bc Josh's strong arm would "cut through it".   Sure it can help for short throws on a line, but for long balls the law of physics gets more involved.  Once the ball is up there on the swirling winds it can go anywhere, regardless of how strong your arm is.  They pointed out on the broadcast that Huntley's overthrow to wide open receiver on 4th down was same end that the

wind took over on Josh's overthrows earlier in the game.  For this team, where the deep ball is one of the keys for the offense, high wind is the worst weather element they can encounter IMO.  Even in snow/rain/ slippery field - most times that favors receivers who know where they are going vs defense having to react 

Ask Tucker and Bass too.  The look on Tucker’s face after one of his misses was that of total confusion about what had just happened.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

What did he say this time?

Nothing.  He picked the Ravens.  He was very complimentary on one of his shows this week about the Bills and Allen.  

This made me cry. It's been 27 years. Pour one out for the countless Bills fans, and the people who witnessed our struggles, who died since then.

tenor.gif?itemid=5359107&f=1&nofb=1

The previous one was 1993. I was only 10 years old.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Seems like an eternity of heartbreak.

But eh, that's all in the past. The present is magical.

- Josh Allen is a Superstar QB.

- Stefon Diggs is a Superstar WR.

- Our defense is currently THE BEST in the AFC.

We're obviously lacking an explosive RB. Every time I see us run the ball:

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Oh well. We'll make it work.

This is a season for the ages. I don't give a f*ck who we're facing in the AFC Title game. Drink up and sober up.

We got business up ahead. To be The Man, we have to beat The Man. I will definitely be watching Patrick Mahomes and his Chiefs vs. Baker Mayfield and the Browns.

I want us to dethrone the Super Bowl Champions Kansas City Chiefs. F*ck Baker Mayfield. Our team and our QB should do it.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Bring their @sses to us. We're ready. We'll bring it. As long as the defense performs like they did against The Ravens and Josh Allen is clicking then we have a good shot on any field.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, wjag said:

Nothing.  He picked the Ravens.  He was very complimentary on one of his shows this week about the Bills and Allen.  

Oh. That's not bad.

Chris Simms has been gushing about us for months and he still picked the Ravens

At this point it's just fuel

9 hours ago, Billznut said:

FU Chris Simms, Rodney Harrison, Kay Adams and many many others!!!! 

Exactly.  I was sick and tired of the Jackson hype and gushing this week.  Some of those clowns should be embarrassed at being that superficial in their “analysis”.  Jackson showed what he is last night when facing tough competition, something he has not done for the past six weeks of the Ravens streak.  He also showed what he is not, which is an elite QB.  He is a superior athlete who can throw the ball, but he will likely never be a real QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

A baker's dozen thoughts on the game:

1.  Of course T Johnson's INT will be the play of the game, but it was Jerry Hughes' play right before that, that was most important.  He managed to get to Jackson and rush a throw to a wide and I mean wide open M Brown that would have gone for a game tying TD.

2.  How, and I do mean how did our DLine pull that off?  We haven't seen that all season.  It sure did look like it was going to be a long day when Baltimore ripped off big run after big run on that opening drive.  And then Buffalo just shut that thing down.

3.  I think Wink Martindale realized one drive too late that Huntley did not know the playbook.  You could see how long it was taking to call plays.  Going to 'ah just go out there and throw it' worked much better with the kid.

4.  Gabe Davis, you have to catch that TD.

5.  Allen missing on the deep throws all game.  It became clear why when NBC put the ball tracker on one.  You could see what happened when he missed a wide open Diggs.  The ball just went right at the end of the throw.  The wind just took it away.

6.  Wind was the biggest weather factor in that game.  Bad punts, bad throws, bad place kicks.

7.  I was joking with my friend who is a Browns fan to start the game.  I asked if Baltimore would gift us a TD on a fumble.  Little did I know that the Baltimore center would get the case of the yips.  How does that happen?  I mean really, how does that happen four different times in the game?

8.  The Bills lone TD was a blown Baltimore coverage.  3 WRs on 2 DBs.  2020 Josh Allen sees that and immediately zips a throw there for a TD.

9.  The Ravens DB took away Beasley.  In the end it was probably okay.  He comes out of the game healthy.

10. The Bills OLine passed blocked their azzes off.  Judon did beat Dion for a blind side sack-fumble.  

11.  Interesting how Baltimore backed out of their blitzing persona and elected to play coverage.

12. I hope Jackson is okay.  He's not my favorite QB, but he plays to win.  He has changed the game. 

13. Can't leave without poking Tucker. Bahahahaha.  Welcome to Buffalo.  Love the look of disbelief in his eyes when he misses.  He is so clutch.  That's when you really knew it was windy in Buffalo.  I've seen the goal posts sway a lot more than that, but they were definitely moving.

Win 10 games or more and get a playoff birth -- check

Win the AFC East -- check

Win a playoff game -- check

Win a divisional round game -- check-o-mongo

Win a conference championship game -- to be checked....

Excellent post.  This was always going to be a tough game and I think shocked some people that in the end, Buffalo was the  tougher  team.  Hats off to that D.  Great job.  And hats off to Allen and the offense who did enough to win and played mistake free.  That was the difference.  

9 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

I saw 3 for Ravens, 3 for Bills just before the game.  Even most of us who took the poll here said 50/50 chance...

I absolutely don’t blame a soul for picking the Ravens.

However, I can jump on Stephen A. Smith for his “no way” can or are the Bills going to beat the Ravens.  I stated this in another thread as being just too ignorant a statement for where the Bills are at this season.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

Great post, but you mean Greg Roman on this one 😉

Personally I think the broadcasts spend too much time showing us close-ups of the coordinators and talking about them. Yes, they are important. But we know what they look like and it's boring to keep seeing them standing or sitting there. Let's talk about the GAME more often please. 

41 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Re: the wind. I’ve attended blizzard games at the Rockpile (Denver & Cincy) and the coldest, crappiest games at Rich (Division Title Game vs Jets, Divisional Round game vs Raiders). Like most Bills fans, I pretended it was great to attend bitter cold December/January games. No longer. We have a fabulous, unique QB now who stands to lead us to many memorable seasons to come. Why would we want to inflict wounds to his game?

BUILD THE DOME!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Another random thought.

Where were Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams in this game?  Judon flashed through for one strip sack, but I don't believe Campbell nor Williams had much of a game.  That was the strength of their DLine.  It certainly helped when Madubuike limped off.  Hats off to the OLine.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Great post, but you mean Greg Roman on this one 😉

Personally I think the broadcasts spend too much time showing us close-ups of the coordinators and talking about them. Yes, they are important. But we know what they look like and it's boring to keep seeing them standing or sitting there. Let's talk about the GAME more often please. 

yep..  You are correct.  Wrong coordinator.  Corrected.

4 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Is there a reason why we don’t run that 4-3 defense more? 

McDermott helped take the panthers to the super bowl in a 4-3. Why do we insist on using a two LB set so much?

Because though he is good playing downhill, Klein is more of a liability in pass coverage if we play a pass happy offense.