1/16/21 Divisional Round Playoff BILLS GOING TO AFC CHAMPIONSHIP Postgame Thread

2 hours ago, folz said:

Over their last six games (prior to tonight), the Ravens have averaged 262 rushing yards/game and 2.33 rushing TDs/game.

Tonight, the Bills held them to 150 yards rushing and O TDs. Kudos to the defensive coaches and players!!!

I think an under-rated aspect of McDermott and his staff's coaching is how they manipulate the active roster and game plans to the strengths of their players vs. the strengths/weaknesses of their opponents each week. For instance, Trent Murphy has been inactive for many games, but he was up this week. Why? Because his biggest strength as a DE is stopping the run. And Baltimore is a run-first team that has been lighting it up on the ground. That's just one example---but truly, there are no second- and third-stringers, or practice squaders here---there is just one team with many parts and each part has its strengths which will be utilized when appropriate. McDermott and Beane (from a front office perspective) have been masterful at how they have handled the bottom half of the roster all year.

And this isn't to diss anyone, but I have to say that I was surprised earlier this year when so many fans were down on Taron. The kid has done nothing but ball out since he came to Buffalo. He grabbed that slot corner role his rookie year and in three years no one has even come close to challenging him for it. In just his fourth NFL game (as a 4th-round rookie), he had a strip-sack on Aaron Rodgers. And followed that up the next week with an INT. The kid has been a play maker from the start. And what, a bad game or two and people were ready to kick him to the curb? People get so down on players sometimes when we know so little (are they dealing with an injury, what was their responsibility in the scheme, how is the other team game planning against our D, how good is the guy he's guarding, etc., etc.). At points this year people were down on Micah and Tremaine (when they were playing through injury), etc. Taron tonight was a little reminder to maybe not be so rash/harsh with our judgements of players sometimes. 

Ok, sorry, enough of that, this is a happy night where we are all ONE BUFFALO! THE BEST FANS IN THE NFL! HEADED TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! With a team that it is a pleasure to root for. Talent with character and a family culture. Enjoy this Bills Mafia. This is the best kind of team that we could have ever hoped for! Humble and Hungry! CHEERS TO YOU ALL---WE DESERVE THIS!  🍻 :beer:

GO BILLS!

I think Trent Murphy was playing because Johnson was out with a knee injury. Good post overall though.

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It sincerely took you to 15-3 to believe in the Bills?  A team that just shut down the #1 running offense, #6 defense, and beat most of the top 5 defenses in the NFL all year.

I believed in the Bills since September, but I didn't think that the Bills run D matched up well with Baltimore's running game because of Lamar, Edwards and Dobbins.   They looked like a juggernaut against Tennessee, and the Bills D got gashed by Indy the game before.   I underestimated how good the Bills D is ... and how limited the Ravens' offense is against a good D.

6 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

It appeared to me that Jackson's head never touched the turf, so I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how he got concussed

His head bounced like a basketball 🏀 Off the turf, the side shot made it obvious what happened to him.

5 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

My dad, cousin and I jumped up screaming go, go , go! I pointed at Lamar and yelled "block him", and Tre'davious obliged. 

I did the same thing screaming " block him! Block him!" and then Tre comes in and obliges.  Great hustle play

The media does so much to dictate the narrative every week that I’m convinced Mcd just shuts out the noise and picks nuggets here and there for motivation.

If I never watched a game of football all I would know coming into this game is that no one wants to play the Baltimore Ravens right now. And Lamar is the second coming because he busted a long td run in Nashville. The Ravens are going to bully us and run all over us. 

We   shouldn’t fear any team to play. We are good enough to win the whole thing.

But wow How hard is it to win a Super Bowl coming from the AfC?! Quality opponents one after another! This team is special!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A baker's dozen thoughts on the game:

1.  Of course T Johnson's INT will be the play of the game, but it was Jerry Hughes' play right before that, that was most important.  He managed to get to Jackson and rush a throw to a wide and I mean wide open M Brown that would have gone for a game tying TD.

2.  How, and I do mean how did our DLine pull that off?  We haven't seen that all season.  It sure did look like it was going to be a long day when Baltimore ripped off big run after big run on that opening drive.  And then Buffalo just shut that thing down.

3.  I think Greg Roman realized one drive too late that Huntley did not know the playbook.  You could see how long it was taking to call plays.  Going to 'ah just go out there and throw it' worked much better with the kid.

4.  Gabe Davis, you have to catch that TD.

5.  Allen missing on the deep throws all game.  It became clear why when NBC put the ball tracker on one.  You could see what happened when he missed a wide open Diggs.  The ball just went right at the end of the throw.  The wind just took it away.

6.  Wind was the biggest weather factor in that game.  Bad punts, bad throws, bad place kicks.

7.  I was joking with my friend who is a Browns fan to start the game.  I asked if Baltimore would gift us a TD on a fumble.  Little did I know that the Baltimore center would get the case of the yips.  How does that happen?  I mean really, how does that happen four different times in the game?

8.  The Bills lone offensive TD was a blown Baltimore coverage.  3 WRs on 2 DBs.  2020 Josh Allen sees that and immediately zips a throw there for a TD.

9.  The Ravens DB took away Beasley.  In the end it was probably okay.  He comes out of the game healthy.

10. The Bills OLine passed blocked their azzes off.  Judon did beat Dion for a blind side sack-fumble though.  

11.  Interesting how Baltimore backed out of their blitzing persona and elected to play coverage.

12. I hope Jackson is okay.  He's not my favorite QB, but he plays to win.  He has changed the game. 

13. Can't leave without poking Tucker. Bahahahaha.  Welcome to Buffalo.  Love the look of disbelief in his eyes when he misses.  He is so clutch.  That's when you really knew it was windy in Buffalo.  I've seen the goal posts sway a lot more than that, but they were definitely moving.

Win 10 games or more and get a playoff birth -- check

Win the AFC East -- check

Win a playoff game -- check

Win a divisional round game -- check-o-mongo

Win a conference championship game -- to be checked....

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Rodney Harrison is still an idiot.

Thought it was funny he wasn't on the post-game segment from the stadium - NBC knew the crowd would shower him with their strong opinions.  Still hate he was there at all.

5 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I wish Oliver got a hold of Hundley on that scramble to actually get the safety. 

Or at least bring him down near the goal line.  That was a crazy sequence.  In two plays field position went from 2 yd line to other 25.  If Huntly gets just a small gain there we would most likely have gotten ball at midfield or better

37 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I believed in the Bills since September, but I didn't think that the Bills run D matched up well with Baltimore's running game because of Lamar, Edwards and Dobbins.   They looked like a juggernaut against Tennessee, and the Bills D got gashed by Indy the game before.   I underestimated how good the Bills D is ... and how limited the Ravens' offense is against a good D.

I have been saying since before the playoffs even started that while Baltimore are good and on their day can beat anyone their run game would be less of a problem for us than the Browns or Tennessee. 

The Ravens run game is complex and multiple and they beat you with confusion and misdirection and I feel like the Bills dline is good mentally. Where they are less good is when someone just lines up and says "you know we are coming right at you now try and stop it" and that is not really what Greg Roman does. After the scripted drive we held up vert well in run D.

• Like (+1) 3