Frazier a “Serious Candidate” for Texans HC gig.

whatdrought

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

If I am a HC looking at getting a second/last chance at a job I am running far far away from that Houston job. 

Why?  The ownership obviously knows what they are doing.  They have won the division 3 of the last 5 years.    Honestly if Watson wanted Bieniemy and the owners want Frazier, the owner are obviously the intelligent ones.  Watson seems like a little child pouting because he didn't get his way.

Frazier is the face of integrity and class and he coaches defense, the area where they are in desperate need.

Bieniemy has a past that suggests he is the opposite of Frazier.   He also is an offensive coach. Not their weakness.

Edited by BITE ME
  • Vomit 1

27 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I hope Frazier waits for a better opportunity, every player that plays for the Texans walks away with a bad taste. One or two I get it, can't please everyone, all? The ownership has to be atrocious. 

At the same time he’s 61 years old and he’s waited a decade for a second opportunity.  Time is running out so it’s not like he can be selective.  But yeah if it’s a situation he feels he can’t make work, then he should stay away

1 hour ago, Mango said:

If I am a HC looking at getting a second/last chance at a job I am running far far away from that Houston job. 

This. It’s not just a “get the right HC and GM in place” sort of situation. Their current ownership and GM are floating hiring Josh effing McCown as their HC. Let somebody else be the guinea pig to right the ship. Just like Buffalo had years of terrible management it wasn’t necessarily just McD who got us hear. Whether fans want to admit it or not Buddy, Gailey, Whaley, and Marrone were all part of the journey of at least getting back to respectability. 

This is why I think its perfect for Frazier

Whats the downside for Frazier? Looking at a worst case scenario: He is probably looking at retirement in the next 5 years or so. Take a head coaching job get a contract for 4 or 5 years for a guaranteed 15 to 20 million. If it is utter disaster and is fired still gets paid a nice retirement income maybe a year or 2 earlier than expected.

Frazier is a good candidate because he commands respect from players.

He is a very good leader who has experience as a player without the issues Bienemey has had.

The key will be him (or any coach at this time of year) finding a good staff post AFC Championship or post Superbowl.

He could gain points from Watson by asking him to join search for OC including interviews assuming NFLPA allows it.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

has Houston interviewed Bienemey (sp) yet?  I feel like he'd be the best pick there. 

Frazier may be a defensive Dick LeBeau?  

If Frazier leaves, wonder who we get to replace him?  

Steve Wilks?

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This might not be a popular opinion....but I am actually rooting for this

McD can replace Frasier....2 third round picks in Bean's hands is solid gold

I Agree that Frasier is probably the easiest of our staff to replace. It seems like the rest of our front office / coordinators will be around for another year at least.

a good showing from our d tomorrow may go a long way for his chances. 

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I never understood that concept.  So if Frazier goes to the Texans, do they get draft picks as well because they hired a minority HC?  So if you get a minority HC you get nada but 2 picks if you have them as coordinators and someone poaches them, seems unbalanced to me.

It is because the owners refuted that they are racist and blamed their coaches for the racism. Basically said "we'd hire black guys more if there were more in the pipeline to hire but that is on our coaches to hire more for their staff so let's reward teams who do that and develop them." 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Frazier is a good candidate because he commands respect from players.

He is a very good leader who has experience as a player without the issues Bienemey has had.

The key will be him (or any coach at this time of year) finding a good staff post AFC Championship or post Superbowl.

He could gain points from Watson by asking him to join search for OC including interviews assuming NFLPA allows it.

I wonder if that is where the McCown story comes in. "Leslie we want you as Head Coach but we really want you to hire Josh as OC to work with Deshaun." 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Solid gold or two more average running backs?

I am actually interested the direction Sean would go if Leslie leaves. I don't buy that he is that easy to replace. There are not that many Jim Johnson guys left working in the NFL. Maybe Steve Wilkes comes in having worked with Sean in Carolina and the  succeeded him as DC? But Wilkes has learnt the McDermott defense. The great asset Frazier has is he knows the philosophical origins of this scheme as well as Sean does. I'd be sorry to lose him and think he is tough to replace but I will be pleased for him to get a shot. He is a good guy who has done a great job here.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is because the owners refuted that they are racist and blamed their coaches for the racism. Basically said "we'd hire black guys more if there were more in the pipeline to hire but that is on our coaches to hire more for their staff so let's reward teams who do that and develop them." 

I wonder if that is where the McCown story comes in. "Leslie we want you as Head Coach but we really want you to hire Josh as OC to work with Deshaun." 

Well, being forced to hire a particular coordinator certainly didn't work for Adam Gase.    I would hope that Frazier isn't desperate enough that he is willing a guy with zero experience and someone that Frazier has never worked with as his OC. 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think we have an easier time replacing Frazier since so many offensive coordinator are being hired and the two picks are useful.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Solid gold or two more average running backs?

I am actually interested the direction Sean would go if Leslie leaves. I don't buy that he is that easy to replace. There are not that many Jim Johnson guys left working in the NFL. Maybe Steve Wilkes comes in having worked with Sean in Carolina and the  succeeded him as DC? But Wilkes has learnt the McDermott defense. The great asset Frazier has is he knows the philosophical origins of this scheme as well as Sean does. I'd be sorry to lose him and think he is tough to replace but I will be pleased for him to get a shot. He is a good guy who has done a great job here.

You know, I love this particular discussion.

I believe that fans dislike Frazier because they want more blitzing, more aggression. Frazier seems like a somewhat passive play-caller. Runs a reactive scheme. 

But we're probably under-selling Frazier's gifts as a teacher, as a mentor, and as a steady, respectable presence (crazy career pedigree and a really solid dude), and most of all, as the leader of a defense that excels against the pass. In 2021, would you rather have a defense that is built from the back-end forward, or from the front-end back? What's more important: to be strong against the pass or to be strong against the run? That's reductive, but it's also an important philosophical question. 

I think I want great pass defense first and foremost. Especially if we're going to have a high-scoring offense to help make opposing teams one-dimensional.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1