Cam Heyward admits Steelers were not ready for Browns...Tomlin to blame??

Big Turk

36 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

I agree as the Steelers don’t fire coaches. How can you not put lack of prep on a coach for a playoff game? Tomlin will be retained but I think he’s lost his team. Time for Big Ben to follow MP and retire. They need a redo and it will be new players not a new coach. 

I think that they lost a few of their best players, have a QB that needs to retire, WRs with stones as hands, limited on deep passes and zero lanes in the run game with middling RBs. 

Jmo

I don’t know what that means, like how are you not ready to play? 

I can see a trending down where say Ben’s arm is tired, teams have dissected how to beat your schemes, how injuries have taken their toll.

But “not ready to play”? Did you need an extra motivational speech? What if you just got beat? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I think that they lost a few of their best players, have a QB that needs to retire, WRs with stones as hands, limited on deep passes and zero lanes in the run game with middling RBs. 

Jmo

Good point a lot of injuries. Tomlin has proven to be a good not great coach. Seemed like between JuJu and well Big Ben eating himself out of the league he’s bit too player friendly? 

• Like (+1) 1

They almost beat the same team with their backups playing the week before.  Name one person outside of Cleveland that didn't think the Steelers were going to win.  It's human nature but as others have said that is on the player.  If they aren't ready to play in the playoffs in what might be their last shot with Ben then that is on them not the coaches.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Good point a lot of injuries. Tomlin has proven to be a good not great coach. Seemed like between JuJu and well Big Ben eating himself out of the league he’s bit too player friendly? 

Idk....I think he’s one of the best.  Lots of egos and distractions.  He may have not everything perfectly.....but who does?  HoF coach 💯 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Idk....I think he’s one of the best.  Lots of egos and distractions.  He may have not everything perfectly.....but who does?  HoF coach 💯 

Someone posted earlier this year Tomlin was a top 5 coach. I was like what ? Then I couldn’t think of anyone who knocked him out. Other than Hoodie, Peyton, Reid. Maybe Harbaugh ? 

They thought it was an easy win after being in the game with them in week 17 with Rudolph at QB. Game plan was probably pretty much the same and probably thought without Stafanki the Browns wouldn’t change much.  If you got a chance to knock out a division rival you shouldn’t take it lightly 

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

Someone posted earlier this year Tomlin was a top 5 coach. I was like what ? Then I couldn’t think of anyone who knocked him out. Other than Hoodie, Peyton, Reid. Maybe Harbaugh ? 

Tomlin has had a level of consistency unlike few others in league history over a prolonged period. He is a current top 5 guy and, in saying that, a sure fire top 20 coach all time and HOF coach.

If Ben falls on that fumble at the 2 yard line on the opening play instead of acting like it was a hand grenade, the game is completely different.

He is the leader of that team and he sets the tone on the field.  His desire to win that game, or lack of desire, was clear for all to see.  That same attitude permeates through a locker room and when the Steelers finally had to play some tough games late in the year they imploded.

I watched Josh Allen step into the middle of a rugby scrum, grab a lose ball, fight through the pile of bodies towards the first down marker, and throw a defensive back three yards in the process just get a 1st down a couple of Thanksgivings ago.  He wasn't fighting for a loose ball on the goal line in a playoff game.  He was just trying to get a 1st down in a regular season game.  That's leadership.

Ben is clearly done and that team will be done as long as he is the QB.  I'm sure Tomlin sees that too.  I'd be shocked if Ben is back next year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If Ben falls on that fumble at the 2 yard line on the opening play instead of acting like it was a hand grenade, the game is completely different.

He is the leader of that team and he sets the tone on the field.  His desire to win that game, or lack of desire, was clear for all to see.  That same attitude permeates through a locker room and when the Steelers finally had to play some tough games late in the year they imploded.

I watched Josh Allen step into the middle of a rugby scrum, grab a lose ball, fight through the pile of bodies towards the first down marker, and throw a defensive back three yards in the process just get a 1st down a couple of Thanksgivings ago.  He wasn't fighting for a loose ball on the goal line in a playoff game.  He was just trying to get a 1st down in a regular season game.  That's leadership.

Ben is clearly done and that team will be done as long as he is the QB.  I'm sure Tomlin sees that too.  I'd be shocked if Ben is back next year. 

I don't think it would have been different at all.  The Steelers probably punt on that series and the Browns continue to run it down their throats and pick Ben off.

I just watched the Chiefs/Texans hilites from the playoffs last year. The Chiefs found themselves in a similar position to the Steelers a week ago. Down 3 scores after a series of freakish plays and gifts to the opposition. I dont think the difference between the Steelers losing and KC coming back last year have anything to with preparation. Ben R is done and Mahomes is just getting started. Steelers also just gave up and only the Browns taking their foot off the gas allowed the game to be close. Also nothing to do with Tomlins coaching except that weird 2nd half punt.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This sounds pretty damning...how can the players not be prepared and ready to go? The coaches couldn't sense the players weren't taking the Browns seriously??

my thoughts.....

you don’t blame the defense when the offense turns the ball over giving your opponent drive starts inside scoring range ( inside 30). Cut down those 3 1st quarter turnovers to 1 and it’s a different game.

the offense should have gone for it early in 4th, gone down and scored making it a one score game. That could have fired up the defense.

sure the defense allowed plays when they shouldn’t have.  I think think they thought we stopped thrm the prior week they shoukd be able to this week. I wonder how much did Cleveland pull out of the playbook that Pittsburgh hadn’t seen before.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Excuses.  They had 2 weeks to rest and prepare.  Maybe they should have played hard that last game, like the Bills did, to keep their division rival out of the playoffs so they couldn't come back and embarrass them?

Not sure how you figure they had 2 weeks to prepare.  The 5-7 seeds weren't set until the after the last weekend.

They sat a handful of veteran players because they never got a full bye in the regular season.  When they were forced into taking their bye a couple weeks early, they still were practicing and preparing that week and didn't know until Wed or Thur that they were getting a bye instead.

They did play hard in Week 17 and nearly pulled off what many would have viewed as an upset against a desperate team fighting for a playoff spot.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I dunno...all week long you kept hearing them say "The Browns are the Browns" like they were dismissing their chances of winning especially with them having won 17 straight at home against them. They seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion they would beat them and it looked like it by the way they played.

One player, quoted out of context, for clickbait.  The full quote/interview could be interpreted a couple ways.  

3 hours ago, MJS said:

The Browns didn't even need to show up.

Yes they did.  Someone from the opponent needed to be there to accept the Steelers' gifts. :D

The biggest surprise to me was how poorly the defense played, allowing 3 TDs on the Browns' first 3 offensive possessions.  Two were short fields due to turnovers, but holding them to a couple FGs and a TD instead would have possibly offset the embarrassing start for the O.

Not forcing any turnovers didn't help either.

In the end, an old QB having probably his worst start ever and an old OL was most responsible for their loss.

Such is life.  On the bright, I can watch the rest of the playoffs relatively stress free. 😜

Edited by blackngolddigger