Cam Heyward admits Steelers were not ready for Browns...Tomlin to blame??

Big Turk

That's what you want a guy to say.

You want him saying "We weren't ready, it's our fault." Realistically, though, their roster isn't what it used to be, particularly at QB and LB (though a lot of that was injuries) and OL.

No, I don't think it's damning and I don't think it's Tomlin.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9

Excuses.  They had 2 weeks to rest and prepare.  Maybe they should have played hard that last game, like the Bills did, to keep their division rival out of the playoffs so they couldn't come back and embarrass them?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Just now, Doc said:

Excuses.  They had 2 weeks to rest and prepare.  Maybe they should have played hard that last game, like the Bills did, to keep their division rival out of the playoffs so they couldn't come back and embarrass them?

I dunno...all week long you kept hearing them say "The Browns are the Browns" like they were dismissing their chances of winning especially with them having won 17 straight at home against them. They seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion they would beat them and it looked like it by the way they played.

• Agree 2

Just now, Doc said:

Great point. I'll admit I was torn about whether the Bills should have played or rested their starters against Miami, but in the end I think they did the right thing to eliminate their foe and stay sharp for the playoffs, even if it does risk injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

My thoughts exactly... you had a chance to put the little brother down and keep him there. Instead you let him get back up and he made you pay. 

• Like (+1) 1

I actually don’t think he is right. More execution than anything.  Tough to start a game with fumble/TD, pick, and pick.  Yeah, the D let up a few TD’a on a short field. But that is just players poorly executing. And it’s not like the Browns did nothing— the one DB made a 1-handed pick, as I recall. Browns made some plays. 

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Tomlin ain’t going nowhere.  

I agree as the Steelers don’t fire coaches. How can you not put lack of prep on a coach for a playoff game? Tomlin will be retained but I think he’s lost his team. Time for Big Ben to follow MP and retire. They need a redo and it will be new players not a new coach. 

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The Steelers just weren’t a good team the final quarter of the season. I think that was their biggest downfall. 

They weren’t that great during that 11-0 start either. Soft schedule and even with that they almost lost to Dallas and Jacksonville playing their 3/4 string QB who was a joke.

Not being ready to play is so cliche.

The lost because Ben threw a couple stupid passes and Pouncey's errant snap, all of which dug them too big of a hole and Cleveland is a better team than they are.

Coaches can only do so much.

Edited by Beast

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

This. I totally agree. I’m glad we destroyed Miami for just this reason.

I think they are in for a full rebuild.  Pouncey, Dupree, JuJu, and Ben will most likely be gone this season.  Pouncey got bullied and Ben is too old to play well for a full season at his price tag.  It's time to cut ties with the old and say hello to the new.  Maybe they go quarterback this year.  There is too much of a disconnect with that team and when you watch them it just looks like they have zero chemistry.  Too much ego.

Side note - Claypool looks like a great player but he needs to seriously grow up if he wants to play for any team for more than 3 years.  

• Like (+1) 2

Sorry, but if a player is “not ready” to play his biggest game of the year, the blame goes to the player, not the coach. Attitude and motivation are personal responsibilities and are in the total control of the individual player. Perhaps Tomlin “wasn’t ready” either, but that’s also on him as an individual.

Better for Heyward to just tip his hat to the Browns and admit they got their assess handed to them by the better team instead of offering up the tired excuse of not being ready.