Shefter: Daboll favorite in LA

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Beast said:

It may be higher than what? Allen's?

Maybe...... Though I just don't see it.

Herbert is going to be a huge stud in this league for a LONG time to come.

Exactly how huge remains to be seen, but if Josh ended his career tomorrow, I'd move heaven and earth to get Herbert instead.  Even if that would be impossible.  I'd try.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

IMO Coach Diabolical's offense is so complicated and he adjusts offense game plan so much that it will be difficult to replace him in house or out with same system.  He also does double fake game plans very well where defenses have seen it and know how to defend it but it plays out differently fooling them. Daboll also had amany years training in the P*ts' Erhardt-Perkins offensive system he adapted.  Who will be available with experience in that system?

Is our offense really complicated? Beasley and Diggs run very vanilla patterns, just very well. Our line gives Allen a lot of time to throw. We've run a couple option passes, other than that, pretty normal stuff. We just do it very well.  I think our offense is fairly simple, mostly shorter, high percentage passes that keep us out of 3rd and long. We have many weapons and a great qb. I'm for finding the best OC available, I'm leery of promoting someone who's never called games before.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Is our offense really complicated? Beasley and Diggs run very vanilla patterns, just very well. Our line gives Allen a lot of time to throw. We've run a couple option passes, other than that, pretty normal stuff. We just do it very well.  I think our offense is fairly simple, mostly shorter, high percentage passes that keep us out of 3rd and long. We have many weapons and a great qb. I'm for finding the best OC available, I'm leery of promoting someone who's never called games before.

Its complex. Remember what John Brown stated when he got to Buffalo, the most complex offensive scheme I've been in.

Daboll runs the New England playbook only calling far more passes than NE (Josh McDaniel's)does. 

Josh Allen grew into this scheme in Buffalo because Daboll has called pass plays like he has a veteran QB under center from the start. He called plays that Nathan Peterman couldn't throw. He called the most deep passing plays Josh's first season with perhaps the very worst offensive line the last decade. 

Daboll has developed into being a top coordinator just as Josh Allen has grown into a top franchise QB. It is somewhat easier to game plan and call plays when you have one of the top 3 QB's in the league this season. 

Before Daboll moved upstairs to call plays he was on the sidelines sometimes yelling at Allen. Being a HC is not just game day managing, its being a leader of men while running the entire coaching staff. We will see if he is up to that. 

On another note, I hope he game plans / call plays better than he did for the Colts game...or has he already been checked out? If I'm McD I'd keep an eye on what's going on in the first half and if checked out...let Allen call his own plays like Kelly used to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Its complex. Remember what John Brown stated when he got to Buffalo, the most complex offensive scheme I've been in.

Daboll runs the New England playbook only calling far more passes than NE (Josh McDaniel's)does. 

Josh Allen grew into this scheme in Buffalo because Daboll has called pass plays like he has a veteran QB under center from the start. He called plays that Nathan Peterman couldn't throw. He called the most deep passing plays Josh's first season with perhaps the very worst offensive line the last decade. 

Daboll has developed into being a top coordinator just as Josh Allen has grown into a top franchise QB. It is somewhat easier to game plan and call plays when you have one of the top 3 QB's in the league this season. 

Before Daboll moved upstairs to call plays he was on the sidelines sometimes yelling at Allen. Being a HC is not just game day managing, its being a leader of men while running the entire coaching staff. We will see if he is up to that. 

On another note, I hope he game plans / call plays better than he did for the Colts game...or has he already been checked out? If I'm McD I'd keep an eye on what's going on in the first half and if checked out...let Allen call his own plays like Kelly used to do. 

Even though Beasley contributed, I think his injury, along with McKenzie's ankle affected the play calling. Those couple short yardage plays that we gave to Moss likely could have been passes to Beasley or end around to McKenzie.  I think much of the negative that happened against the Colts was about field position, and the Colts are really good.

18 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Yes it is that complicated.  Watch some of the breakdowns of the games and you will see what I saw.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes it is that complicated.  Watch some of the breakdowns of the games and you will see what I saw.

I hear you, and I won't say I'm an expert, but is it that complicated? Is it something any qualified OC could develop with the type of personnel that the Bills have? I like Daboll and think he's done a great job, I just think that there shouldn't be much to worry about in replacing him outside the organization. This is a top job that the best OC's would love to have. The Bills will have their pick of the litter, hire the best guy. If they think it's Dorsey, cool, if outside the org, I'm good with that as well.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

It's pretty funny that some people think Daboll runs a "simple" offense.

Cripes.

Maybe simple is the wrong word, but is it so unique that no other OC could adapt to this personnel and have similar success? And with a running game perhaps?

My bet is Dorsey gets OC, they bring in a senior offensive assistant with experience in EP, Chad Hall gets a nice raise for being awesome at his job, and Davis Webb is the QB coach next year.  Pure speculation, but who doesn't like to speculate now and again. 

I was listening to siriusxm nfl radio an hour or so ago. Pat Kirwan said everyone knows Dabol has been hired by the chargers, just waiting for the farce of the NFL rules of not allowing until elimination to make it official. Also said Dabol has his staff in place.

Edit: I guess that Pat Kirwan's information was no more reliable than Adam Shefter's. I'm sad for Dabol as I think the Chargers would be an excellent opportunity but happy for Josh and the Bills.

Edited by CA OC Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s funny how many people wanted him fired after last season. This is the first year of his career he’s ever had an offense like this. Personally I don’t care who the chargers hire as long as it’s not Jordan Palmer. 

Last season Daboll's / Buffalo Bills offense was ranked 23rd in points, 24th in yards. So, it's easy to see why some fans weren't happy with him. 

My take is I give Josh Allen more credit for his / Bills offense meteoric rise this season. As for his development I also credit Josh himself along with Jordan Palmer, Ken Dorsey over Daboll.

Though I do admit that Daboll has called some really good games this season.

Plus, the offense did make proper adjustments to the line to keep Allen clean against many teams this season. Is the latter from RT Williams (and CO)who has graded as the Bills best linemen.

I simply don't see Allen pulling a Carson Wentz after Daboll is gone

2 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I was listening to siriusxm nfl radio an hour or so ago. Pat Kirwan said everyone knows Dabol has been hired by the chargers, just waiting for the farce of the NFL rules of not allowing until elimination to make it official. Also said Dabol has his staff in place.

Why is it a farce? Id be pretty pissed if he was allowed to be officially hired now. Think of the conflict of interest that would create.

10 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Would hate to see him go, but if that is what he really wants would have to wish him luck.

He helped develop Allen and this offense so I am pretty thankful.

He would be landing in a good situation, a team with a lot of talent and with Herbert who looks like a very talented young QB.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Herbert is going to be a huge stud in this league for a LONG time to come.

Exactly how huge remains to be seen, but if Josh ended his career tomorrow, I'd move heaven and earth to get Herbert instead.  Even if that would be impossible.  I'd try.

Herbert’s has weapons that most rookie QBs dream of.  Let’s pump the breaks a little before we start crowning him as the next Joe Montainya.  

27 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Why is it a farce? Id be pretty pissed if he was allowed to be officially hired now. Think of the conflict of interest that would create.

Agree 

Edited by Weatherman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Everyone also knew that Josh McDaniels was going to be the next Colts HC.  

9 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

I'd think the Chargers would be a bit nervous about hiring another Bills OC.

One could argue that Butler and A J Smith helped turn around and lay the foundation for what was a very competitive Chargers franchise for years.

They have had some historical success stories raiding the Bills FO.