Shefter: Daboll favorite in LA

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dorsey has never called plays.  Not saying he can’t do it but I don’t think it should be a foregone conclusion that he’d be the next man up.

We gotta keep the same playbook... Josh knows this offense so well. It would be bad for his growth to have to start from square one. Dorsey may have not have called plays... but all OCs started out without ever calling a play before.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Keep winning and hope these teams get tired of waiting for the SB and hire someone else 🤞

Isn’t that kind of a conflict of interest for Daboll?   Not saying he’s going to sabotage the team, but I’m sure he wouldn’t be that upset if we lost tonight given he’d probably be named Charges HC tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My biggest question is how many coaches leave with him. Could be a few of them. 

Not without the Bills permission, and not clear that will be forthcoming.  Unless, of  course, contracts are up.  No contract means  free to go.

Hope no one has any unrealistic expectations about Daboll staying. You don’t become a coach with the lifelong ambition to be the hometown OC. He will take the best offer for him and his family. Just like you wouldn’t give your job a hometown discount on your salary, he’s got to look out for #1. We have to plan for the future.

Qnrdip1.gif

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

We gotta keep the same playbook... Josh knows this offense so well. It would be bad for his growth to have to start from square one. Dorsey may have not have called plays... but all OCs started out without ever calling a play before.

Playbooks are all the same. Verbiage changes but a lot of times coaches adjust to players verbiage also. I think the only fear I have is freedom in the offense. Someone new could want things done his way. I listened to Allen talk about WR route running and how he doesn't care if a WR runs a route differently than it's supposed to be run, just get open. A different coach might say no, run that route how it's supposed to be run. 

49 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Having the same playbook will be great if we meet Chargers in playoffs.  We will be only one with 2020 playbook though for Diaboll's playbook changes per team faced,

40 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

They need to keep it simple and hire Dorsey, really.

I tend to agree. I can make a case for Chad Hall (because if we don't we lose him sooner rather than later) but the question should be what would Josh be most comfortable with? And then do that.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just remember, if they're under contract we control that.

For all but 1. We can't now block a coordinator interview. So say we hire Dorsey as OC and Daboll asks to speak to Hall as his OC we can't block that.

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just remember, if they're under contract we control that.

Teams are reluctant to prevent coach migration due to "reputation" - teams are looked as bad boys despite coaches being ones breaking contact but they never refuse payment when cut.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Having the same playbook will be great if we meet Chargers in playoffs.  We will be only one with 2020 playbook though for Diaboll's playbook changes per team faced,

Game plan you mean?  The playbook has evolved over time and If Dorsey was promoted from within it would continue to evolve.

55 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Isn’t that kind of a conflict of interest for Daboll?   Not saying he’s going to sabotage the team, but I’m sure he wouldn’t be that upset if we lost tonight given he’d probably be named Charges HC tomorrow.

I don't think that lowly of Daboll. He wants to win tonight, next Sunday, and Sunday two weeks later. Promise you that.

Plus, he'll get his shot at HC regardless. QB developers are the second hottest commodity after only QBs themselves.