Shefter: Daboll favorite in LA

BillsMafi$

You guys do realize that Daboll’s agent was already contacted when LA was out of the post season picture, and that Daboll knew all this already, right? 

14 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Continuity for the offense is so huge.  The worst thing they could do IMO is bring in someone with a new system.  Would rather have Dorsey and the same offense with limited previous play calling experience than a new OC with new system that has called plays.  It seems Dorsey and Josh have a good relationship, he knows what Josh is good at and likes, and at this point Josh is getting familiar/experienced enough to check into his own plays at LOS more and more

IMO Coach Diabolical's offense is so complicated and he adjusts offense game plan so much that it will be difficult to replace him in house or out with same system.  He also does double fake game plans very well where defenses have seen it and know how to defend it but it plays out differently fooling them. Daboll also had amany years training in the P*ts' Erhardt-Perkins offensive system he adapted.  Who will be available with experience in that system?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

IMO Coach Diabolical's offense is so complicated and he adjusts offense game plan so much that it will be difficult to replace him in house or out with same system.  He also does double fake game plans very well where defenses have seen it and know how to defend it but it plays out differently fooling them. Daboll also had amany years training in the P*ts' Erhardt-Perkins offensive system he adapted.  Who will be available with experience in that system?

Thats the issue.  No real idea how much input Dorsey has into the installation, strategy and play design on a weekly or yearly basis.  No idea how fluent he is in the E-P system.  And he’s never called plays as a coach at any level.

”Continuity” in this context means very little.  Personally I’d like to see them bring in someone a bit more balanced - I’m still not sure Josh understands what running plays to check into, because the Bills don’t execute any of them effectively.  Would extend his career to be able to run the ball from time to time.  That’s one key difference between Daboll’s offense and the Patriots’.

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Charley Weis is available, doubt he would leave Florida for the 716, fun to listen to every morning.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Charley Weis is available, doubt he would leave Florida for the 716, fun to listen to every morning.

Weis is the one who brought the E-P system to New England in the first place.  He has been SO BAD as a coach everywhere else.  But it’s the right idea - there are plenty of coaches out there who came up under that regime.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My biggest question is how many coaches leave with him. Could be a few of them. 

How? Unless some of their contracts run out, they can't leave other than for a promotion, so really only two promotions could occur from a Bills position coach to OC and DC.   Maybe if Dorsey doesn't get the OC job, he could ask to leave and the Bills would grant it.  Even on a 13-3 team, there's also usually at least one coach let go at season end too so could be someone else the Bills wanted to move on from anyway.

When do coaches contracts typically expire anyway?  After the last game, I'd assume?  I know front office contracts typically expire the beginning of May, right after the draft.

There are HC's in the NFL who would leave their team to coach the Chargers.

Daboll has to be thrilled about the chance to go there.

Maybe the thought of the traffic in L.A. compared to here will sway him to stay.

39 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Thats the issue.  No real idea how much input Dorsey has into the installation, strategy and play design on a weekly or yearly basis.  No idea how fluent he is in the E-P system.  And he’s never called plays as a coach at any level.

”Continuity” in this context means very little.  Personally I’d like to see them bring in someone a bit more balanced - I’m still not sure Josh understands what running plays to check into, because the Bills don’t execute any of them effectively.  Would extend his career to be able to run the ball from time to time.  That’s one key difference between Daboll’s offense and the Patriots’.

Is this because our OL is inept at run blocking or because Daboll doesn’t know how to scheme for the run game?

Just now, Big Turk said:

Herbert is the closest thing to an Allen clone there is and he is already way ahead of where Allen was in year 1. Now the key is to see how much higher his ceiling is.

his ceiling is likely much lower. 

49 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

When do coaches contracts typically expire anyway?  After the last game, I'd assume?  I know front office contracts typically expire the beginning of May, right after the draft.

Most coaches expire after Superbowl set if they are expiring this year.

Here is example from Coach McD's first year:

http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/2017.shtml

He held onto coaches until he had replacements.

Edited by Limeaid
more info
  • Like (+1) 1