Emotional attachment to Bills - perspective welcomed

Rockee96

4 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

This line from the movie Fever Pitch has had me thinking ever since I saw it:

You love the Red Sox, but have they ever loved you back? 

No matter what happens tonight, this season feels like the Bills finally loved me back. AWESOME SEASON!!

https://www.quotes.net/mquote/31516

The line is "You love Arsenal, but have they ever loved you back" pffff you and your cheap American remakes.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Hey Rockee -

Great stuff you wrote.  Maybe I'll respond more fully sometime.   For now, I'll say this:

Is it normal?  For those who get it, yes.  For those who don't, no.  

The good news is that as you get older, it doesn't eat you up in quite the same way.   Three days ago I drove 400 miles to be in Buffalo to go to the game tonight.  The prospect of the game is always in the background, but the truth is that I haven't been thinking about it much at all.  I'll be completely wired in a few hours, but right now it isn't occupying my thoughts any more than the 400-mile drive I'll do tomorrow.  

There also are some great (?) things that happen along the way.  I live in Connecticut, and my kids grew up Bills fans.  In fact, the kid who lived next door to us became a Bills fan.  His daughter is three months old, and she has a Bills shirt.  Her ancestors came to Connecticut 300 years ago, and she's already a Bills fan.  How cool is that?

Enjoy the game @Shaw66

This is the best part of the OP's story to me:

"It all started when my mother bought me a Thurman Thomas rookie card for my 9th birthday in 1990. I started watching Bills games rooting for Thurman because I wanted the value of the card to go up."

• Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I always assume all Bills fans are native WNYers because, for the most part, why would anyone choose the Bills if they didn't have to?

Not joking.

Very enlightening thread.

I always tell people you are born a Bills fan.  Few voluntarily select this team to root for.  

I am not one who gets overly emotional but I am a Bills fan who is not from Buffalo, has never even been to Buffalo and is not from the US (although I have visited the country for work and pleasure a few times over the years). 

My route to finding my Bills fandom and love of the NFL as an 18 year old in 2002 was a long and winding one. It is a pretty crazy story and my grandmother without knowing it (she was not a football fan) was a central character.

She died on Wednesday of covid aged 92. I have reflected this week on the timing of her death days after I first watched this team I found partly because of her win a playoff game for the first time. Fate is strange some times. Her funeral is the day after the Superbowl. I'd have cried at a Bills Superbowl win in any event but I think I'd be extra emotional if it came this year.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not one who gets overly emotional but I am a Bills fan who is not from Buffalo, has never even been to Buffalo and is not from the US (although I have visited the country for work and pleasure a few times over the years). 

My route to finding my Bills fandom and love of the NFL as an 18 year old in 2002 was a long and winding one. It is a pretty crazy story and my grandmother without knowing it (she was not a football fan) was a central character.

She died on Wednesday of covid aged 92. I have reflected this week on the timing of her death days after I first watched this team I found partly because of her win a playoff game for the first time. Fate is strange some times. Her funeral is the day after the Superbowl. I'd have cried at a Bills Superbowl win in any event but I think I'd be extra emotional if it came this year.

I am sorry for your loss, my friend.  RIP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So sorry for your loss.  My mom died a year ago from cancer and was a huge Bills fan.  She would be absolutely thrilled to see the Bills playing like this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this site longer than i can remember. I just turned 50 a few weeks ago and have been a fan of the Bills since the week of the superbowl against the Giants. I was only 20 or so then but hadnt watched football seriously until that game when i decided to cheer for the small market teaam with the passionate fans and the best uniform colors in the game and ive been a fan since. I live in Iowa and have been to one game in Buffalo and loved it. It was the 1996 home opener against the Pats. We got in friday night at a hotel a few miles from the stadium and i wanted to drive over to familiarize myself with the area around so i knew where i was going sunday morning. We (wife and  I) found Rich Stadium as it was known then and marveled at how the field was below ground level and it really was in a regular neighborhood. Anyways, we were driving around the parking lots about to leave when i saw what looked like a familiar face walking with purpose on a sidewalk. It was Marv! I leaned out and asked if i could get a picture and he said something about keeping his heart rate up and said ok Marv good luck tomorrow! He then waved us over and we chatted a minute while my wife took photos. I'll show you one if i can figure out how to make it my profile picture.

I watch every game i can and have been there for all the milestones since. Some favorite moments/things include Jim's 7 step drop and deep ball. The closeness of those superbowl teams. His personal struggles with his family and health and overcoming them. Jim Kelly is a hero. Love Thurman but love Fredex more because he played arena league here in my city before Marv gave him a shot. Tasker should be in the Hall. Flutie was more talented but lots of people thought RJ had more upside including me. Still dont like Bon Jovi, sorry cant help it. Love the Pegulas for saving our beloved franchise. Shocked that Marrone opted out but was even more shocked that Jim Schwartz wasn't offered the head job after that monster defense of 2014. Was skeptical of McDermott but he's the best we have had since Marv, 3 playoffs in the last 4 speaks for itself. His press conferences are boring though unlike Rex who's product on the field wasn't the best but entertained the media. Diggs is what I expected Percy Harvin to be and Josh Allen is the funnest player in my opinion to watch since Barry Sanders. He was made to be a quarterback like noone else I've ever seen.

Anyways, i'm happy to be here with you for real now instead of just reading. To all of you Bill fans are family to me.

Go Bills!

Adrian

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Early 90's is when I started watching football and sports in general.  While not really a football fan my dad would always root for them in the playoffs/Super Bowl as he spoke fondly of his time working in the Buffalo area.  So I guess in that sense Bills fandom is sort apart of my DNA.  

I'll admit my fandom has waned over the years sometimes just revolving what's going on in my life.  Other times I'm very passionate.  Heck most posters here are probably more loyal/devoted fans, I only own two Bills hats and a Christmas Bills sweater.  

It's something about WNY/Buffaloians I admire though that always make want to see the Bills do well.  Generally some of the most hospitable, friendly, unpretentious people I've come across in my travels.  Heck I even somewhat rooted for The blue Jays the past year since they were playing in Coca Cola Stadium.  

5 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this site longer than i can remember. I just turned 50 a few weeks ago and have been a fan of the Bills since the week of the superbowl against the Giants. I was only 20 or so then but hadnt watched football seriously until that game when i decided to cheer for the small market teaam with the passionate fans and the best uniform colors in the game and ive been a fan since. I live in Iowa and have been to one game in Buffalo and loved it. It was the 1996 home opener against the Pats. We got in friday night at a hotel a few miles from the stadium and i wanted to drive over to familiarize myself with the area around so i knew where i was going sunday morning. We (wife and  I) found Rich Stadium as it was known then and marveled at how the field was below ground level and it really was in a regular neighborhood. Anyways, we were driving around the parking lots about to leave when i saw what looked like a familiar face walking with purpose on a sidewalk. It was Marv! I leaned out and asked if i could get a picture and he said something about keeping his heart rate up and said ok Marv good luck tomorrow! He then waved us over and we chatted a minute while my wife took photos. I'll show you one if i can figure out how to make it my profile picture.

I watch every game i can and have been there for all the milestones since. Some favorite moments/things include Jim's 7 step drop and deep ball. The closeness of those superbowl teams. His personal struggles with his family and health and overcoming them. Jim Kelly is a hero. Love Thurman but love Fredex more because he played arena league here in my city before Marv gave him a shot. Tasker should be in the Hall. Flutie was more talented but lots of people thought RJ had more upside including me. Still dont like Bon Jovi, sorry cant help it. Love the Pegulas for saving our beloved franchise. Shocked that Marrone opted out but was even more shocked that Jim Schwartz wasn't offered the head job after that monster defense of 2014. Was skeptical of McDermott but he's the best we have had since Marv, 3 playoffs in the last 4 speaks for itself. His press conferences are boring though unlike Rex who's product on the field wasn't the best but entertained the media. Diggs is what I expected Percy Harvin to be and Josh Allen is the funnest player in my opinion to watch since Barry Sanders. He was made to be a quarterback like noone else I've ever seen.

Anyways, i'm happy to be here with you for real now instead of just reading. To all of you Bill fans are family to me.

Go Bills!

Adrian

Welcome!!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hey, Gunner, I'm sorry for your loss.  It's never easy, but these are particularly difficult times.  Her connection to you through the Bills will help over time.   I know the Bills connections has eased the loss of my father, which happened more than 40 years ago.  

Sometime you should tell your story.  Sounds interesting. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, wolfpack78 said:

I'm with you 100%.  I'm a 35 year old (turn 36 next Sunday as well - hoping to be watching the Bills in the AFC Championship on my birthday!) from Ohio and have no actual ties to the city of Buffalo.  My life is surrounded mostly by Browns, Bengals and (to a much lessor extent) Steelers fans.  Whenever anyone asks me why I'm a Bills fan I have really have no answer.  I originally had concerns that I was a front-runner as a youngster, but my parents reassured me that I latched onto the Bills around the 1988 season, a couple years before the Super Bowl run.  Whatever the reason, I have stuck with them.  For the first time in my adult life, they are actually good.  I love listening to One Bills Live or coming on here to pass the time while working from home during this pandemic.  I'm not ready to stop having that be part of my every day routine yet.

I have a 4.5 year old daughter that loves to do art and color.  Nowadays, before I color with her she always reminds me that I can't just use 'Bills colors' (red and blue obviously) to color that unicorn or Disney princess.  While she is obviously too early to really understand what is going on, I really hope she looks back when in her 20s and 30s and reflects on her own Bills fandom and appreciates that it was these days/this season when it all really began.  I really can't explain it.  My wife thinks I'm obsessed, but I would not have it any other way.  Just dropped some some money on Etsy to further outfit my basement bar with Bills decor.  Damn I am nervous for tomorrow!

Thanks wolfpack! I have 5 year-old daughter too that loves to color. She's been watching games more games with me this year and understanding football better. I hope that she too becomes a passionate Bills fan too like us!

18 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

When Ralph was approaching 90 and it looked like the team was headed to Toronto I would have given anything just to be sure that I had my own team to root for and maybe sniff the playoffs once a decade. I used to beside myself just to inch past .500 in late November every few years. Then I dreamed that Josh would become a legitimate starter, maybe a QB in the league’s top fifteen, who knows maybe even the top ten. This season has been incredible, and more than what I once thought possible.  

Thanks Charles. Something about the way you wrote this made me realize how grateful we should be right now. It's easy to forget how far we've come and what a bright future we have, no matter what happens today. 

17 hours ago, Bufflow4 said:

Today is my 35th birthday and all week I have been much more excited with anticipation for the Bills game rather than for my birthday.

I remember sitting on my Bills beanbag chair as a little kid, right in front of the tv, watching the Bills in the early 90s.

Who would have predicted that the Bills would have only lost 3 games this year with the 5th hardest strength of schedule. That Allen is in the MVP conversation with Rodgers and Mahomes. That since the buy week our offense has been ranked #1 in total yards and our defense #3 in total yards. That we would be absolutely demolishing teams by the end of the regular season. I could go on and on.

More than a few times this season, my wife has laughed at me while I’ve been watching games and commented on how I resemble a little kid in my excitement. This year has been so much more fun than I could have ever expected and this team has outperformed most every expectation. No matter what happens tomorrow, the future is looking bright.

That being said, I want a win so bad. Nothing would make me happier and I really hope my one birthday wish of a Bills win comes true!

Happy birthday Bufflow! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think you deal with it by setting appropriate expectations beforehand. This is entertainment. It's fun to watch your team play. A single football game presentation can contain more drama than a season's worth of Real Housewives. Realize that you're team will continue providing you entertainment for years to come and that's all you really need. Don't just acknowledge it, realize it. Get into that frame of mind.

All you need is to be entertained.

That's why even the worst Bills teams were entertaining. It's alright to get riled up during the game. Let it all out. Express yourself in your way. After the game's over do a little meditatation, or whatever helps calm you down, and get back to the right frame of mind. That positive Bills fan frame of mind.

Thanks LeGoatski for your perspective. I think having this mindset will help me (and many of us) stay grounded, regardless of the outcome. At the end of the day, this is entertainment that is meant to be enjoyed. 

9 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

If by "obsessed" you mean pacing my house for 3 hours every gameday, yes. Count me in.

Last Saturday aged me a LOT. And I already look like crap for being 42.

Yes, I've been doing exactly that during games, especially last week. My wife told me I am not a pleasant person to watch games with and that I make her nervous LOL. 

8 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I often wonder the same thing.  I'm not from Buffalo (but likely in a past life or something) but I've been a fan for 30 years now.  Started just before the first SB and stuck with them through those four heart breakers and the next few decades of frustration.  I really like the underdog mentality of the franchise and the city and I know that my high opinion of Bills fans and Western New Yorkers is a big part of my loyalty.  That Niagara Square rally after the first SB is what finally sold me for life.  Bills fans are just amazing.  This is really the only sports team I follow to this extent and it's just become a part of my life.  My wife gets so tired of hearing about the Bills (esp this season!!!!) but she humors me. 

Part of it is I think we're all obsessed with seeing our Bills win the SB after all those losses in a row.  That was a great era and those teams had some great players that were just good dudes too.  Hard not to root for guys like that.  A lot like we have today again.  And then riding out the next couple of decades of mostly-misery, it kind of becomes a part of you.  You know the way this current team is being built and all the quality people in the organization (esp the Pegulas!) is really something to be appreciated.  If I were just now choosing a team to root for I couldn't imagine one more respectable than the Bills.  Makes me feel like the universe paid attention to all of our collective suffering, yet unwavering loyalty, and might be finally paying us back.  Heck just giving us Josh makes up for a whole lot of those bad season.

I'm glad we can relate Apocalypse. Thanks for sharing your journey! 

8 hours ago, wjag said:

Older than most on here.  Grew up in Hamburg.  Job moved me to New Jersey and then to Maryland after college.  Was a season ticket holder during the great run of the late 80s and the early 90s.  Drove in for every game over a five year period.  Did not miss a game in five years.  First from Jersey, then from Maryland.  Everyone who knew me in Jersey and knows me in Maryland knows I am a "Buffalo" native and a Sabres and Bills fan, through and through.  But I am a Buffalo, the city, fan first and foremost.  I went to high school in South Buffalo which meant I was riding a metro bus back and forth each day. 

I meet lots of Bills fans in my travels and one of the themes that is most common amongst us expats is a reverence we hold for WNY.  It's hard to describe, but having grown up there it literally is in our blood, part of our DNA.  I keep a second home a few miles from the Rich Stadium (it will always be Rich stadium to me, the place I saw my first football game, the Rolling Stones, and the great runs of the K-Gun offense) and get back to the area frequently as both my wife and I have significant family still there.  When the Bills are doing good, I like to talk about them.  When the Bills are doing bad, I literally abstain from all internet.  While I get it works for some, I have no interest in dwelling on the bad or tearing down the team or player.  I work very hard to keep my written thoughts positive.  

I am absolutely envious of Boston, Pittsburgh, Dallas and places like that.  Those fans do not know how lucky they have it.  If one of their sport franchises is losing, it's likely they have another that will bring home a championship.  What makes us Buffalo fans one of the greatest fan bases is we have not known glory.  Our mooted celebrations are for wide right and no goal.   We don't have a history of excellence.  We do have a history of heartache.  And yet hope springs eternal and we root on our team and our city.

I am not prepared for this season to be over at midnight tonight.  I genuinely believe this team has something very special going on.  The Ravens will get their pound of flesh tonight, but they are leaving to clean out their lockers tomorrow.  Josh and Cole and Stefon and Dion and Matt, and Jordan and Micah and Tre and Mario and and and will find a way.

Go Bills!!!

Thanks wjag. Yes I think it is the hardship and heartache we've all experienced together for the past 30 years that makes us even more passionate and loyal fans. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

GB, we’ve known each other for awhile.  I’m so deeply sorry for you.

Seriously!  You’re GM is watching.  She has her Bills jersey with people close.  I know my mom has her Kelly jersey on in heaven.  Thank you fir sharing as these things are tough to talk about, but glad you trusted us.  No matter what, they are always watching, like when we use to go to the K of C in the SB years in Lackawanna as my dad used to get it illegally, and had the hugest private party from their huge satellite.

You don’t forget those memories.

OP, I’m glad you’re one of us.  You don’t have to grow up in Amherst, Blasdell, Orchard Park, or anywhere else to be a huge Bills fan.

Just BILLIEVE!

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry for your loss GunnerBill.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Rockee96 said:

This week has been surreal for me. I've never been so happy and proud of my Bills, as they excelled this year and gave me a sense of joy that I haven't felt since I was in elementary school. Yet I never been so petrified and anxious before a game as I have been the past 25 years. I want them to win so bad on Saturday, yet I am trying to be realistic and temper my expectations. I know that if we lose, I will be so disappointed that I am afraid how I will take it. If anyone has any words of encouragement should this happen, I would appreciate it. Is there anyone else that feels as I do, or am I the only one? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks,

Thomas 

What is this word lose?  I think after our bye is was removed from my vocabulary. 

Sounds right.

I'm 39 years old and have been a fan for probably 31 or 32 years.

My life essentially revolves around the Bills during football season. When they win, my entire week is good. When they lose, all I want to do is get to the next game to get that sour taste out of my mouth.

Night losses are the worst because I can't sleep. I think tonight I won't sleep well no matter what. If we lose I'll be depressed playing the "what if" game in my head. If we win I'll be so excited playing a different "what if" game.

I think being a Bills fan is just different.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm go grateful to be part of this community! You've helped me get into a right state of mind before our game. Key takeaways:

1) I am not alone in the way I feel about our team. I'm amazed that so many people here know exactly how I feel during my lows and highs. Knowing this gives me peace, regardless of our outcome.

2) At the end of the day, this is entertainment. Enjoy it. 

3) It's easy to forget how far we've come. Be grateful for this year - we have a bright future ahead for at least 5+years, no matter what happens today. 

4) Bills Mafia is unique in that people here are so sincere, have experienced & overcome hardships, and take nothing for granted. There is so much depth here, unlike the superficiality I see elsewhere. It's our long-suffering and perseverance that binds us together. 

5) Of course we want our Bills to win it all, but just as important are the relationships that people have built in this community. That is lasting and even more meaningful. 

GO BILLS!!!

I’ve often wondered the same. I mean how many of the same players are even there year over year? It’s almost like we’re just in love with the logo and uniforms.

but at the end of the day, I think for many of us, Bills football isn’t just something we’re kind of into for 17 weeks a year.  it’s a way of life.

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Hey Rockee -

Great stuff you wrote.  Maybe I'll respond more fully sometime.   For now, I'll say this:

Is it normal?  For those who get it, yes.  For those who don't, no.  

The good news is that as you get older, it doesn't eat you up in quite the same way.   Three days ago I drove 400 miles to be in Buffalo to go to the game tonight.  The prospect of the game is always in the background, but the truth is that I haven't been thinking about it much at all.  I'll be completely wired in a few hours, but right now it isn't occupying my thoughts any more than the 400-mile drive I'll do tomorrow.  

There also are some great (?) things that happen along the way.  I live in Connecticut, and my kids grew up Bills fans.  In fact, the kid who lived next door to us became a Bills fan.  His daughter is three months old, and she has a Bills shirt.  Her ancestors came to Connecticut 300 years ago, and she's already a Bills fan.  How cool is that?

Same deal, man. We moved into our current house four and a half years ago. One of our neighbors have become our best friends. Their little girls and my son are best friends. And we’ve made them ALL Bills fans. We are on vacation in Disney and the mom texted us this morning a picture of herself in her Bills gear. In fact, as I’m typing this, she just texted my wife a video of their three year old saying, Go Bills,

There’s just something about it.