Who steps up as OC if Daboll leaves?

blacklabel

1 hour ago, Canuck204 said:

What about Pep Hamilton as an outside the organization hire?

that's an interesting name.  I would imagine he could be the OC at Los Angeles if they take Daboll, but he may not want to be under his shadow.  He should be a big OC name.  

My money is on Ken Dorsey. 

1. McDermott in his early stages of HC stated he wanted to grow coaching talent from within, for people in the building to rise up the ladder. May be coach speak, but it tells me he might lean to the younger in house guys like Ken Dorsey or even Chad Hall. 

2. Brandon Beane thinks Ken Dorsey is very smart: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/07/buffalo-bills-gm-unbelievably-smart-ken-dorsey-has-natural-bond-with-josh-allen.html%3foutputType=amp 

Specifically:

Obviously, you guys know his college career and he hung on in the pros probably for his mental ability longer than his physical ability,” Bills general manager Brandon Beane told reporters at an embargoed interview session in late June. “(Ken’s) a very tough competitor. You see that even when we play basketball with him. He’s fiery. He works super hard. And he’s as smart as anybody that I’ve been around. He’s unbelievably smart. He sees the game.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Apologies if there have been other similar threads. 

As it stands right now, the Jets, Falcons, and Jaguars have all named new head coaches while the Chargers, Lions, and Texans are still searching. Although, last I saw it appears that Dan Campbell is the front-runner for the Lions gig. 

Brian Daboll interviewed with the Chargers and Jets and to our knowledge hasn't had a second interview with either team. The possibility still remains that he could leave Buffalo for a head coaching job elsewhere. 

Much discussion has taken place about who could possibly replace Daboll if he leaves. QB coach Ken Dorsey is a popular answer but he's never called plays at the NFL level. Some think they should promote from within but I don't think anyone would get too fussy if they hired outside the franchise. 

One name I haven't seen mentioned as a possible replacement for Daboll is tight ends coach Rob Boras. Now, this is not me advocating for Boras to become the OC. I just wanted to see how people react to the notion. Boras has coached tight ends nearly his entire career, having been hired by the Bears in 2004 after 11 years of coaching in college, including a one-year head coaching stint at Benedictine in '98 as well as two seasons as offensive coordinator at UNLV. 

Boras was with Chicago though 2009 and then joined Jacksonville to coach their TE's for two seasons before being hired by Jeff Fisher in St. Louis. He coached TE's until 2015 when he was named the assistant head coach as well as the interim offensive coordinator. He was promoted to full time OC and assistant HC in 2016. He was let go following the season and quickly found work with the Bills in 2017. As the OC for the Rams his offenses finished near the bottom of the league but he was also confined to Jeff Fisher's genius offensive philosophy of "please run it 499 times" as well as a lack of solid offensive weapons. 

He's been with Buffalo for four seasons now and since he's arrived, the Bills have made much more use out of their TE's than they have in years past. Dawson Knox shows plenty of promise and I believe he will put it all together. I also think they have something in Tom Sweeney, I'm interested to see him get a chance next year. 

McDermott seems to trust him and seems satisfied with the job Boras has done. Would that be enough for McDermott to consider him if he has to replace Daboll? I wouldn't be surprised if his name comes up but I would be surprised if they give the job to Boras. 

Personally, I think Dorsey makes a lot of sense. He's been here through Josh's growth and development, he knows the system, he knows what Josh prefers, he knows what he likes in certain situations. As I said above, I think the inexperience with play calling would give me some hesitation in giving Dorsey the OC job. And on one more personal note, I'd be happy for Daboll if he lands a HC job but I really want him to stay here and keep building this thing. 

Who would you guys like to see as OC if Daboll is hired as a HC somewhere else?

How many OCs call a game before they become an OC?

Ken Dorsey has been coaching in the league for nearly a decade and played QB at a high level in college and played in the league and played professionally for 7 years.

He deserves to be interviewed and deserves a strong consideration 

• Like (+1) 1