Who steps up as OC if Daboll leaves?

blacklabel

Apologies if there have been other similar threads. 

As it stands right now, the Jets, Falcons, and Jaguars have all named new head coaches while the Chargers, Lions, and Texans are still searching. Although, last I saw it appears that Dan Campbell is the front-runner for the Lions gig. 

Brian Daboll interviewed with the Chargers and Jets and to our knowledge hasn't had a second interview with either team. The possibility still remains that he could leave Buffalo for a head coaching job elsewhere. 

Much discussion has taken place about who could possibly replace Daboll if he leaves. QB coach Ken Dorsey is a popular answer but he's never called plays at the NFL level. Some think they should promote from within but I don't think anyone would get too fussy if they hired outside the franchise. 

One name I haven't seen mentioned as a possible replacement for Daboll is tight ends coach Rob Boras. Now, this is not me advocating for Boras to become the OC. I just wanted to see how people react to the notion. Boras has coached tight ends nearly his entire career, having been hired by the Bears in 2004 after 11 years of coaching in college, including a one-year head coaching stint at Benedictine in '98 as well as two seasons as offensive coordinator at UNLV. 

Boras was with Chicago though 2009 and then joined Jacksonville to coach their TE's for two seasons before being hired by Jeff Fisher in St. Louis. He coached TE's until 2015 when he was named the assistant head coach as well as the interim offensive coordinator. He was promoted to full time OC and assistant HC in 2016. He was let go following the season and quickly found work with the Bills in 2017. As the OC for the Rams his offenses finished near the bottom of the league but he was also confined to Jeff Fisher's genius offensive philosophy of "please run it 499 times" as well as a lack of solid offensive weapons. 

He's been with Buffalo for four seasons now and since he's arrived, the Bills have made much more use out of their TE's than they have in years past. Dawson Knox shows plenty of promise and I believe he will put it all together. I also think they have something in Tom Sweeney, I'm interested to see him get a chance next year. 

McDermott seems to trust him and seems satisfied with the job Boras has done. Would that be enough for McDermott to consider him if he has to replace Daboll? I wouldn't be surprised if his name comes up but I would be surprised if they give the job to Boras. 

Personally, I think Dorsey makes a lot of sense. He's been here through Josh's growth and development, he knows the system, he knows what Josh prefers, he knows what he likes in certain situations. As I said above, I think the inexperience with play calling would give me some hesitation in giving Dorsey the OC job. And on one more personal note, I'd be happy for Daboll if he lands a HC job but I really want him to stay here and keep building this thing. 

Who would you guys like to see as OC if Daboll is hired as a HC somewhere else?

• Like (+1) 1

On top of the maybe 3 other threads asking the same thing, my only comment would be three positions have now filled, and one other, Detroit rumored to be close to filling, the chances drop down for Daboll.  Still have Chargers and Houston left, but the opening for both HC and GM are dropping.  In addition there probably are couple of other names still out there considered better ones too.

Now that Brian Schottenheimer is no longer employed, I wonder if he'd even be in the running for a HC job, admittedly not the best thing on your resume that you fired from last job.

Well hopefully will get this in before thread is shut down!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Now that Brian Schottenheimer is no longer employed, I wonder if he'd even be in the running for a HC job, admittedly not the best thing on your resume that you fired from last job.

Definitely not the best thing, but Kliff Kingsbury was fired from being a college HC and only got interest as an OC in CFB. 

Then all of a sudden AZ was hot on his trail. It only takes one! 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Apologies if there have been other similar threads. 

As it stands right now, the Jets, Falcons, and Jaguars have all named new head coaches while the Chargers, Lions, and Texans are still searching. Although, last I saw it appears that Dan Campbell is the front-runner for the Lions gig. 

Brian Daboll interviewed with the Chargers and Jets and to our knowledge hasn't had a second interview with either team. The possibility still remains that he could leave Buffalo for a head coaching job elsewhere. 

Much discussion has taken place about who could possibly replace Daboll if he leaves. QB coach Ken Dorsey is a popular answer but he's never called plays at the NFL level. Some think they should promote from within but I don't think anyone would get too fussy if they hired outside the franchise. 

One name I haven't seen mentioned as a possible replacement for Daboll is tight ends coach Rob Boras. Now, this is not me advocating for Boras to become the OC. I just wanted to see how people react to the notion. Boras has coached tight ends nearly his entire career, having been hired by the Bears in 2004 after 11 years of coaching in college, including a one-year head coaching stint at Benedictine in '98 as well as two seasons as offensive coordinator at UNLV. 

Boras was with Chicago though 2009 and then joined Jacksonville to coach their TE's for two seasons before being hired by Jeff Fisher in St. Louis. He coached TE's until 2015 when he was named the assistant head coach as well as the interim offensive coordinator. He was promoted to full time OC and assistant HC in 2016. He was let go following the season and quickly found work with the Bills in 2017. As the OC for the Rams his offenses finished near the bottom of the league but he was also confined to Jeff Fisher's genius offensive philosophy of "please run it 499 times" as well as a lack of solid offensive weapons. 

He's been with Buffalo for four seasons now and since he's arrived, the Bills have made much more use out of their TE's than they have in years past. Dawson Knox shows plenty of promise and I believe he will put it all together. I also think they have something in Tom Sweeney, I'm interested to see him get a chance next year. 

McDermott seems to trust him and seems satisfied with the job Boras has done. Would that be enough for McDermott to consider him if he has to replace Daboll? I wouldn't be surprised if his name comes up but I would be surprised if they give the job to Boras. 

Personally, I think Dorsey makes a lot of sense. He's been here through Josh's growth and development, he knows the system, he knows what Josh prefers, he knows what he likes in certain situations. As I said above, I think the inexperience with play calling would give me some hesitation in giving Dorsey the OC job. And on one more personal note, I'd be happy for Daboll if he lands a HC job but I really want him to stay here and keep building this thing. 

Who would you guys like to see as OC if Daboll is hired as a HC somewhere else?

big no to boras. Sorry.

When you've accomplished what we have as an offense and with the talent we have, the Bills OC position becomes the most coveted OC job in the league.  Because the HC is a DC by trade.  

I don't think it's necessary to just promote from within.  

McD is going to have a stack of resumes to go thru.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Daboll to the Chargers seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. 

Probably either Dorsey or dark horse would be Chad Hall...he is considered a rising star.

The wide receiver room thinks the world of Chad Hall.

27 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

Ask me after the Parade down Delaware Ave.

There's not going to be a parade.  They will hold a celebration at the stadium with 6,700 in attendance.  The celebration will be televised live in Buffalo & streamed on the Bills website.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

On top of the maybe 3 other threads asking the same thing, my only comment would be three positions have now filled, and one other, Detroit rumored to be close to filling, the chances drop down for Daboll.  Still have Chargers and Houston left, but the opening for both HC and GM are dropping.  In addition there probably are couple of other names still out there considered better ones too.

HC and coordinators get fired every year so that can’t be much of a draw back...  you are right in which opening are closing quickly. 

Edited by Don Otreply

It’s tough to guess. I have to think if Daboll is leaving he’s taking some guys with him. 

I prefer to look outside the box. Especially given our experienced offense now. 
Mike Kafka, former quarterback and on Andy Reid’s staff. Probably taking Bienemys job so we’d have to offer ours first if he’d even want it. 
Dirk Koetter.. Obviously he flunked as a head coach but he’s coordinated some good offenses and is heavy on the pass schemes. 
Bill Callahan wouldn’t be a splashy hire but the guy is definitely an offensive line genius and has plenty of experience. 

I would want to avoid Pederson and Gase but that’s just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

When somebody puts that much time into a post, I don't love the idea of burying it in an inactive thread that was started 4-5 days ago, so I'm not likely to shut it down (at least anytime soon). As for your point, I'd guess the Chargers job belongs to Daboll if he wants it. The longer they go without hiring somebody while the Bills are still alive, I think the chances of him getting the job ,ight actually increase.