Falcons hire Arthur Smith as HC

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. I think he had a great game plan. But I think the 3rd down call before than 4th, and deciding to go for 4th down were decisions that happen when you have your head in your playbook not in the game.

He admitted himself after he called them because he had "plays he liked." Of course he did. Play callers will always find a play they like. He lost himself in his calls IMO. And it cost the Colts the game.

Right, but he had to make all those calls for them to even get in that position and if Rivers makes a good throw it's a TD.  They're up 17-7 against a team you need to score TD's against and not FG's (as evidenced by the Bills driving 96 yards down the field right after that).  Bigger picture though, in totality I just don't see the evidence of offensive head coaches failing because they refuse to give up play calling duties.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Right, but he had to make all those calls for them to even get in that position and if Rivers makes a good throw it's a TD.  They're up 17-7 against a team you need to score TD's against and not FG's (as evidenced by the Bills driving 96 yards down the field right after that).  Bigger picture though, in totality I just don't see the evidence of offensive head coaches failing because they refuse to give up play calling duties.

No I think it can work. I don't think it worked for Reich last week. Andy Reid and Sean Payton? Well they are two of the greatest offensive playcallers in NFL history I wouldn't advocate either of them giving up playcalling. Sean McVay? Yea I am getting there with him... I thought he called a great game last weekend but the last two seasons he has called some clunkers and I think his play calling rhythm is a bit predictable. I feel like I can call at Rams plays as soon as they get to the line. I am like Tony freakin' Romo when they are on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No I think it can work. I don't think it worked for Reich last week. Andy Reid and Sean Payton? Well they are two of the greatest offensive playcallers in NFL history I wouldn't advocate either of them giving up playcalling. Sean McVay? Yea I am getting there with him... I thought he called a great game last weekend but the last two seasons he has called some clunkers and I think his play calling rhythm is a bit predictable. I feel like I can call at Rams plays as soon as they get to the line. I am like Tony freakin' Romo when they are on offense.

Right, but the poster I was arguing with implied you couldn't be a successful head coach if you were calling plays.  I just felt that was inaccurate as you just have to find a way to compensate as your game management skills will take a hit if you're busy calling plays.  

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Right, but the poster I was arguing with implied you couldn't be a successful head coach if you were calling plays.  I just felt that was inaccurate as you just have to find a way to compensate as your game management skills will take a hit if you're busy calling plays.  

Yea it can work. It depends on the person and how they surround themselves.