Falcons hire Arthur Smith as HC

YoloinOhio

Interesting that the openings are now down to 4:

Houston

Detroit

LA Chargers

Philadelphia

Houston and Detroit have been open for the longest, they must be waiting for someone still in the playoffs which would most likely mean Bieniemy, Leftwich or Daboll. It is interesting that there is now talk that Chargers will go with a defensive coach since they have gone with offense guys since 2006. 

It only takes one, but the chance Daboll gets one of the jobs is shrinking fast. 

23 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Houston

Detroit

LA Chargers

Philadelphia

Houston and Detroit have been open for the longest, they must be waiting for someone still in the playoffs which would most likely mean Bieniemy, Leftwich or Daboll. It is interesting that there is now talk that Chargers will go with a defensive coach since they have gone with offense guys since 2006. 

It only takes one, but the chance Daboll gets one of the jobs is shrinking fast. 

I'll still believe he is the main candidate for the Chargers job until this goes to someone else..

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The “Eric Bienemy for every NFL opening ever” crowd isn’t going to be happy with this...

I'm a little confused why everyone is up in arms about him not getting attention. Why is everyone campaigning for him? He is an offensive coordinator under Andy Reid. Reid calls his own plays, at least last time I checked.

It would be hard for me to trust an offensive coordinator coming out of that system. It's kind of like defensive coordinator coming out of Buffalo because it's really McDermott's defense, but worse because McDermott let's his DC call plays most of the time.

So why is everyone angry?

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm a little confused why everyone is up in arms about him not getting attention. Why is everyone campaigning for him? He is an offensive coordinator under Andy Reid. Reid calls his own plays, at least last time I checked.

It would be hard for me to trust an offensive coordinator coming out of that system. It's kind of like defensive coordinator coming out of Buffalo because it's really McDermott's defense, but worse because McDermott let's his DC call plays most of the time.

So why is everyone angry?

Mostly because Nagy and Pederman got head coaching jobs doing the same job Bieniemy is doing right now under Reid.  Their tenures were mixed so it could explain the hesitation in hiring Bieniemy.  I'm also not sure how well he interviews.  Maybe he does have to pull a Pettine and come to Buffalo for a year.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

The “Eric Bienemy for every NFL opening ever” crowd isn’t going to be happy with this...

We need a Bills Mafia Drive for  "Bienemy for the Chargers"......Daboll then stays as our OC one more year

2 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Houston

Detroit

LA Chargers

Philadelphia

Chargers or stay home Coach Daboll.

The other 3 are on definite downslides.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Mostly because Nagy and Pederman got head coaching jobs doing the same job Bieniemy is doing right now under Reid.  Their tenures were mixed so it could explain the hesitation in hiring Bieniemy.  I'm also not sure how well he interviews.  Maybe he does have to pull a Pettine and come to Buffalo for a year.

i heard Bieniemy was a pretty lousy interview last year. 

Reid’s not really doing EB (or any of his OC’s) any favors by calling plays. He’s been a head coach forever— he seriously can’t figure out how to delegate play-calling? Reminds me of those business owners and CEO’s that are too hands on. There’s a skill in managing and delegating, while maintaining control. 

45 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i heard Bieniemy was a pretty lousy interview last year. 

Reid’s not really doing EB (or any of his OC’s) any favors by calling plays. He’s been a head coach forever— he seriously can’t figure out how to delegate play-calling? Reminds me of those business owners and CEO’s that are too hands on. There’s a skill in managing and delegating, while maintaining control. 

Why would Reid?  He just won a Super Bowl calling the plays.  This isn't a charity profession.  If Bieniemy doesn't get a HC job I'm sure there's plenty of teams out there that would hire him as offensive coordinator where he can call his own plays.  He can also go the Bill O'Brien route and be a college head coach.

Edited by Doc Brown

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Why would Reid?  He just won a Super Bowl calling the plays.  This isn't a charity profession.  If Bieniemy doesn't get a HC job I'm sure there's plenty of teams out there that would hire him as offensive coordinator where he can call his own plays.  He can also go the Bill O'Brien route and be a college head coach.

it’s not so much charity. I always found the great head coaches act like CEO’s, not glorified coordinators. I have always found that Reid is basically a coordinator. He hands his defense over to a coordinator to basically handle. So the defense is always up and down. His game day management has always been poor.  I think he’s a great offensive mind.  Just wonder why he doesn’t want to let go and try to be a more complete head coach. 

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

it’s not so much charity. I always found the great head coaches act like CEO’s, not glorified coordinators. I have always found that Reid is basically a coordinator. He hands his defense over to a coordinator to basically handle. So the defense is always up and down. His game day management has always been poor.  I think he’s a great offensive mind.  Just wonder why he doesn’t want to let go and try to be a more complete head coach. 

I think you can do both.  Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgrem come to mind. If you're that much better at it than anybody else then why would you hand over the play calling duties?  Payton, Arians, McVay, LaFleur, Stefanski, and Reid all call their own plays and they're six of the last eight teams standing.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you can do both.  Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgrem come to mind. If you're that much better at it than anybody else then why would you hand over the play calling duties?  Payton, Arians, McVay, LaFleur, Stefanski, and Reid all call their own plays and they're six of the last eight teams standing.

Equally it is probably the very reason Frank Reich isn't on the list. If he had thought like a Head Coach and not a glorified OC last week Indy wins that game. 

There have been times this year I have thought McVay should consider handing over playcalling too. 

That said Reid is such a good play caller if I am him I am holding onto that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Equally it is probably the very reason Frank Reich isn't on the list. If he had thought like a Head Coach and not a glorified OC last week Indy wins that game. 

There have been times this year I have thought McVay should consider handing over playcalling too. 

That said Reid is such a good play caller if I am him I am holding onto that. 

Reich called a great game though and we pry win comfortably if he wasn't scheming up plays to make our defense look lost.  Even on that 4th and goal the play was there but Rivers just overthrew him.  Do the Colts even make the playoffs without him calling plays? 

It's tricky for these guys because they're ability to game plan and play call is what got them these head coaching jobs in the first place.  To simply had the play calling duties over to somebody that hasn't had as much success as you is a tough thing to do.  You have to weigh the cost benefit and if you do call your own plays you have to put more responsibility on the coaching staff around you to help you more with in game management.

20 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Reich called a great game though and we pry win comfortably if he wasn't scheming up plays to make our defense look lost.  Even on that 4th and goal the play was there but Rivers just overthrew him.  Do the Colts even make the playoffs without him calling plays? 

It's tricky for these guys because they're ability to game plan and play call is what got them these head coaching jobs in the first place.  To simply had the play calling duties over to somebody that hasn't had as much success as you is a tough thing to do.  You have to weigh the cost benefit and if you do call your own plays you have to put more responsibility on the coaching staff around you to help you more with in game management.

I disagree. I think he had a great game plan. But I think the 3rd down call before than 4th, and deciding to go for 4th down were decisions that happen when you have your head in your playbook not in the game.

He admitted himself after he called them because he had "plays he liked." Of course he did. Play callers will always find a play they like. He lost himself in his calls IMO. And it cost the Colts the game.