Bills Offense versus Elite Defenses

Last time I checked Vegas had the Bills favored by 21/2. So somebody thinks we're going to win. However, many, if not most, football analysts will tell you that a team with a solid defense and strong running attack is more apt to win against a passing team in winter weather. Hopefully, the weather Saturday night isn't too bad and the Vegas odds makers were right.

They lost twice to the Steelers and once to the Patriots, Chiefs and Titans.  Their only quality wins are the Browns twice and Colts.

IMO, the Bengals twice, Texans, Washington, Giants, Eagles, Jags and Cowboys are low quality wins.  

We are the much better team with much tougher wins.  

We are not an easy match up for them and they will have a tough time handling our offense.  

There is little doubt that the Bills can thrash their defense, the question is will they?  If we put up 30+ points I don't see the Ravens keeping up with us.  I could be wrong, Baltimore certainly can put up those sort of points but I don't see it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Part of reason is because many of our WRs are injured.

Uhh...didn't affect Diggs and Beasley said his knee is feeling a lot better than last week.

Have a feeling they will be fine.

• Like (+1) 2

Feels like everyone nationally is picking the Ravens. I like it.

They’re gonna have to learn the hard way...

We are gonna roll. I can feel it in the air. They can not stop DIGGS, and Allen is shredding everyone elite defenses included.

We have no fear of this defense or any defense. We will elevate and they can't match it.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we'll see a lot of delayed blitzes tomorrow. I also think it will be a lot of zone blitzing, if they run man blitzes it lets Allen roll to his right and throw or run and we all know how effective he is while doing that. Zone blitz at least keeps all eyes on Allen underneath and "limits" his ability to run. We'll probably also see a spy in the form of Patrick Queen or maybe someone like Jimmy Smith. Smith is a big bodied DB who struggles in coverage now as he's gotten older and some injuries, but he still can move and if he's spying Allen it should slow his ability to get away from the pocket (in theory).

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I just hope daboll goes balls to the wall. Last week seemed to be a little less aggressive or scaled back. I could be totally wrong about that though. Just win this friggen game please 

i 100% believe, this game, more than any this season, will be won or lost in the film room. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dlonce said:

I agree. The Ravens are no where near an elite defense.

If they blitz there is no way their DBs can match up one on one with our receivers. If they don’t then Allen will pick them apart.

Pick your poison.

They can run if they want and put up 3s while we put up 7s. I’ll take that all day long.

The Bills have beaten the best league wide defenses.

At home, in less then perfect weather conditions, will give the offense an advantage.

Daboll needs to get back to what we did best during the last quarter of the season. This isn’t a take what they give you situation, it’s a take what you want situation. Stop with the JA QB draws. We did that early in the season.

If the game plan is playing scared then the Bills will likely lose.

Unless the refs let them hold all game like they often do...that worries me a bit

9 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Feels like everyone nationally is picking the Ravens. I like it.

They’re gonna have to learn the hard way...

We are gonna roll. I can feel it in the air. They can not stop DIGGS, and Allen is shredding everyone elite defenses included.

We have no fear of this defense or any defense. We will elevate and they can't match it.

You can check it out on nflpickwatch...most are picking the bills actually its almost 60/40 bills 

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I'd add Miami twice to this list.  

And New England.  

Their pass defenses are better then 2 of those 3.  

All this being said the Ravens D is better then all those teams.  

It's fully healthy now and had time to adjust to some new guys.  

I feel like downplaying this is the same as not taking the Chiefs O as seriously because they "struggled" down the stretch.  

I personally don't discount this game.  I think it will be a hard-fought battle that can go either way.

I just don't like how some people build up the Ravens and insinuate they're better than the Bills.  The Bills have a better W-L record against a tougher schedule.  The Bills offense has performed well against good defenses.  And our D, while still suspect against the run, has played significantly better during the second half of the year than it did in the first.  We're not chopped liver.

NFL.com power ranking have us at #2 and the Ravens at #4.  This game is a contest of Titans - the mythic kind, not the Tennessee type.  

I'm hoping for a Bills blowout.  I'm guessing we'll win in nail-biter: 31-30 or something like that.  And I wouldn't be shocked at a less favorable outcome - given the strength of the Ravens squad - because on any given Sunday...

Edited by hondo in seattle

imo, as long as our O gets the ball enough times to figure whatever they have to out, they are gonna put up points.  31 points scored would not be a big day for this O.  

This game is gonna come down to avoiding the back breaking mistake, and to our D.  our D has to play well enough to limit balitmore, i think early in particular.  the D was nicely solid in the first 3 quarters vs the colts, and was decent on the final game winning drive.  those two particular drives in the 4th getting just trucked for long TDs flipped the day from a solid one to a trashy one.  the athletic did a good breakdown, some bad play, some bad calls, and indy noticing we abandoned our run focused D.  i don't think we do that at all vs baltimore, so i think we can tie or win the rock paper scissors game, so it's up to the D to ball out.

46 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Great chart!  

The Ravens blitzed 41% of the time during the regular season- most in the NFL.  That works against some teams, but not much against the Bills.

Martindale has said they're going to bring the heat against the Bills regardless.  Speaking of Allen, Wink said: "He knows that there's going to be pressure, that's for sure. That's who we are. That's what we've done."  

People say this game is a poor matchup for us because on D, we're poor against the run while they're strong running the ball.  On O, we're good at passing but they're good at stopping the pass.

But this chart helps show a different perspective.  The Raven biggest defensive weapon is their blitz.  They do it often and do it well.  But the Bills are mostly impervious to the blitz.  Their best defensive weapon shouldn't effect us much.  The Ravens would prefer to face a QB with happy feet and poor poise.  That's not Allen.  Bad matchup for them.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

I am a broken record.  But its all about turnovers and pass rush. Look what hampered the Bills last eeek, no turnovers and bad field position. 

Want to beat a good defens?. Get a short field to work with. Make Jackson cough it up a couple times and this one could be an easy win. 

If the Bills have to slog it down the field 80+ yards each drive it will be harder. Not impossible. Just harder.

The Baltimore style of defense is not differant than Miami or Ne.  Blitz and strong corner play.  Miami has a very similar defense.  I would argue that Miami has better corners. Buffalo rag dolled them.  Same thing.  Only way the game is close is close is heavy snow.  I think Allen makes more plays still.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m not saying I disagree with you, but the Steelers and Niners were both short handed.  The Steelers were missing their best corner in Haden.  While the Steelers D was really good, they fell off some when they lost Bush and fell off a cliff when they lost Dupree, giving up an average of 28+ a game over the last 6 games.  Not to mention, they played one of the easiest schedules.  

The niners were missing their slot corner K’Waun Williams and Emmanuel Mosley and decided they were just going to sit back and let Josh stand in the pocket all game and dice them up. They didn’t bring any pressure all game.  It was a terrible game plan by Saleh imo.

The Rams, we balled out!  Credit to our O

that said....I think our O can take them to the woodshed if they play a fair share of man.  If they play mostly zone and their blitz can get home, it could be a tough one. The Ravens cornerbacks are much better than most cB units. That’s the main reason why epeople think they match up well imo

And the Bills were missing John Brown .