Behind Enemy Lines - "Keys to Beating the Bills" from Raven's Message Board

Saw this post on the Raven's message board regarding scouting report of the Bills from Raven's fan perspective. Thought it was interesting and worth sharing.  I could nitpick a couple things but overall his analysis is tough to disagree with.   He made some great points, but hopefully JA transcends all and puts the Bills on his back again this week!

"With Moss out the bad running game of the Bills is really bad. Singletary is really only effective when there are holes so job one is to plug those holes up. The Ravens have been very good at doing that this year.  

The biggest running threat is going to Josh Allen who is very dangerous especially in the red zone. Allen is 3rd on the team in rushing yards and has 8 rushing TDs. Without that other big rushing threat I would use a similar plan that we used against the Titans only keying on Allen as the rusher instead of Henry. This is how other teams have attacked Lamar this year and it works until Gus or Dobbins start going up the middle and blowing up those guys waiting on the edge. Singletary isn't Dobbins or Gus. They will be able to limit those bigs runs by Allen.

The Bills are going to be respond by throwing the ball. Allen has 7 games this year with 40+ passing attempts. In 2019 he had just 1. Allen is very comfortable passing and will start throwing down field. The Ravens have the DBs to handle even when blitzing. The Bills in general use a layered system of Diggs and Brown deeper, Davis in the middle depth, Beasley and Knox underneath. Everyone of them can catch and they use the whole width of the field. I think we all saw Allen fit perfect balls on the sideline to Davis at the end of half last week. It was textbook.  

Don't focus on pushing Allen into tough throws. Instead focus on making the receivers make tough catches. Play tight and hit hard. Diggs had the best season in the league this side of Devante Adams. He's going to make some catches. Make him pay on every single one. 8 catches for under 80 yards would be a big win against Diggs.

On the other side of the ball the Ravens just need to continue to do what they do. The Bills allowed 21 rushing touchdowns this year which is 27th in the NFL this year. They are 26th in yards allowed per attempt. Pound the ball in the red zone. They are middle of the road against the pass and rank 9th in both TDs and yards be attempt and 7th in getting interceptions. Running the ball just makes a ton of sense.

Both the Ravens and Bills are +4 in turnover margin so both understand the importance of turnovers. Bass has been a really good Kicker in the clutch but no one is on the level of Justin Tucker. The Bills punter has a great leg. Kicking and punting will be about mistakes since both teams are really among the NFL elite in those areas.

It should be a good game but I really like this matchup for the Ravens. As good as the Bills have been I really see this as favorable for the Ravens."

https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?207004-Keys-to-beating-the-Bills&s=5e4430fa0dd03ad736b8d386a8da5aba

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Saw this post on the Raven's message board regarding scouting report of the Bills from Raven's fan perspective. Thought it was interesting and worth sharing.  I could nitpick a couple things but overall his analysis is tough to disagree with.   He made some great points, but hopefully JA transcends all and puts the Bills on his back again this week!

"With Moss out the bad running game of the Bills is really bad. Singletary is really only effective when there are holes so job one is to plug those holes up. The Ravens have been very good at doing that this year.  

The biggest running threat is going to Josh Allen who is very dangerous especially in the red zone. Allen is 3rd on the team in rushing yards and has 8 rushing TDs. Without that other big rushing threat I would use a similar plan that we used against the Titans only keying on Allen as the rusher instead of Henry. This is how other teams have attacked Lamar this year and it works until Gus or Dobbins start going up the middle and blowing up those guys waiting on the edge. Singletary isn't Dobbins or Gus. They will be able to limit those bigs runs by Allen.

The Bills are going to be respond by throwing the ball. Allen has 7 games this year with 40+ passing attempts. In 2019 he had just 1. Allen is very comfortable passing and will start throwing down field. The Ravens have the DBs to handle even when blitzing. The Bills in general use a layered system of Diggs and Brown deeper, Davis in the middle depth, Beasley and Knox underneath. Everyone of them can catch and they use the whole width of the field. I think we all saw Allen fit perfect balls on the sideline to Davis at the end of half last week. It was textbook.  

Don't focus on pushing Allen into tough throws. Instead focus on making the receivers make tough catches. Play tight and hit hard. Diggs had the best season in the league this side of Devante Adams. He's going to make some catches. Make him pay on every single one. 8 catches for under 80 yards would be a big win against Diggs.

On the other side of the ball the Ravens just need to continue to do what they do. The Bills allowed 21 rushing touchdowns this year which is 27th in the NFL this year. They are 26th in yards allowed per attempt. Pound the ball in the red zone. They are middle of the road against the pass and rank 9th in both TDs and yards be attempt and 7th in getting interceptions. Running the ball just makes a ton of sense.

Both the Ravens and Bills are +4 in turnover margin so both understand the importance of turnovers. Bass has been a really good Kicker in the clutch but no one is on the level of Justin Tucker. The Bills punter has a great leg. Kicking and punting will be about mistakes since both teams are really among the NFL elite in those areas.

It should be a good game but I really like this matchup for the Ravens. As good as the Bills have been I really see this as favorable for the Ravens."

https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?207004-Keys-to-beating-the-Bills&s=5e4430fa0dd03ad736b8d386a8da5aba

I feel very similar about this game as i did to last weeks game.  It's going to be an absolute dog fight.   If our defense can keep them to 24 points or less we have a very strong chance of winning.   I think the loss of Moss is going to hurt more  than people think but I feel pretty confident in TJ Yeldon being serviceable.  Motor needs to have a strong game when he gets his touches to keep the defense honest.  I can't wait until tomorrow!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, it does make sense. We don't really have a running game that's going to scare anyone. They will likely key on Josh every time we run a Read Option unless Singletary or Yeldon can gash them a couple of times causing them to do otherwise. That worries me for two reasons. I don't want Josh getting injured and the Ravens are ALWAYS trying to rip at the football. Even their DB's are among the best in the league at this. The one thing you can't really game plan for if you are Baltimore is Josh and his improv runs. He can see an opening then it's boom, off for 10-20 yards. They can try to spy him, but he's faster than people think and he's hard to get on the ground in a one on one situation (hey, Kyle Van Noy :thumbsup:). I also think we need to use their aggressiveness against them with some quick hitting plays that give our guys the chance to go get some YAC. If we can do this early, get a couple of chunk runs from our RB's and get some quick hitters that go for some nice YAC, then their defense is going to have a hard time dealing with all of the weapons we have on the field at any given time. Josh will be able to pick them apart like he did against SF, Seattle, game 2 against NE, and Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hope our D post-Arizona keeps showing up and out versus 1st half of season regression...the Ravens poster failed to mention the across the board improvements made on the D side of the ball since the hail murray game. Also, a tacit acknowledgment that beyond the run game, the Ravens’ passing attack is nowhere near on par with the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The off-tackle runs against the Bills D is SO annoying, especially when they run it to the left. It seems to be a particularly glaring hole in our defense. Bills don't give up yards inside the tackles (usually). We even defend the sweep runs OK.... It's just those off-tackle plays (5 or 6 hole). Hopefully Bills are scheming to prevent that, because Ravens are likely to hit those holes based on what they've seen on film.

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty good analysis, not gonna lie.

I don't watch enough of the Ravens to really breakdown many weaknesses, I'm just hoping we can shore up our own.

But did Star pick the worst season to sit out 😂 I'm still annoyed how far our run defense has dropped off without him helping plug up the middle. Turns out he was probably worth the money after all lol

• Agree 2

"Singletary is only effective when there are holes."

As are 99.9% of running backs... see Zeke Elliot who was once seen as the best in the game when he had one of the best offensive lines ever fielded.

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

it's tough to get a read on the ravens.  they haven't really played a good offensive team in months.  the titans need that run game to set up their pass game and they also needed to be very aggressive which they were not which was unusual.  dallas cle jax giants cincy is how the finished their season...your numbers are gonna look good there for sure especially on defense.  the ravens are going to need to score with our offense and i dont think they can.  they rely so much on that run game i just think mcd has the plan to limit that.

any time part of your strategy to stop the other team is "hit the wr's and make them pay after they make huge plays" you are going to be playing to lose.

• Like (+1) 3

His point about hitting Diggs and making him pay for it is not correct. Diggs will feel slighted and punish them more for that. That's how he is. The way to keep him from doing that is to NOT slight him in any way. Just laugh and have a good time with him.

• Like (+1) 2

IMHO the key to victory for the Bills is the same it has been...throw into a lead early and make the opponent throw into our secondary trying to catch up.  Last week we didnt really accomplish that and the Colts were able to continue to run and narrow the game.  That said, even last week when we werent all that efficient on offense, there were certain drives where we were throwing for chunk yards play after play.  it will be very interesting to see how we deal with the Ravens blitz...the O-Line needs to have an exceptional game.  Also Singletary's biggest impact on the game will end up being how he picks up blitzers rather than how he runs, which i think he is pretty good at.  Would much rather have Singletary than Moss back there in that respect.  

This is a pretty good game preview so far as they go, showing strengths versus strengths:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/ravens-at-bills-preview-divisional-round

Edited by Bill Murray
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

IMHO the key to victory for the Bills is the same it has been...throw into a lead early and make the opponent throw into our secondary trying to catch up.  Last week we didnt really accomplish that and the Colts were able to continue to run and narrow the game.  That said, even last week when we werent all that efficient on offense, there were certain drives where we were throwing for chunk yards play after play.  it will be very interesting to see how we deal with the Ravens blitz...the O-Line needs to have an exceptional game 

We weren't able to do it last week because of our laughable field position in the first half.

Special Teams has to be vastly improved Saturday.

• Like (+1) 2

Turnovers, stupid mistakes, special teams, and penalties are going to deceide this game. I know thats cliche and boring.

As ive said, especially interested in how this crew will ref PI becuase the Ravens are grabby. I know Tasker agrees with me here. This could set the tone....

With passing being so important to the Bills Offense, my guess is they will call it more.

Edited by RichRiderBills