Why is Allen's improvement linked to Daboll?

Back2Buff

I'm confused why Daboll gets so much credit for Joshua Allen's success.

Allen has always been an athletic marvel, his biggest issue has always been mechanical inconsistency.  The OC does very little work on a QBs mechanics, that is left up to the QB coach, and in Josh's case, Palmer in the offseason.  To me, it is no coincidence that in the offseason which had tighter rules on working with Bills coaches, Allen took the biggest leap.  Palmer is incredible and Daboll is profiting off of it.  Not to mention Allen's attitude has been nothing short of tremendous.  The kid put in work mentally in the offseason, you see it every drive.  He reads the defense so well now, and from watching Tom vs Time, that is something that is perfected in the offseason.

Daboll is pretty good at taking plays from other teams and running them here.  He is very good at listening to his players.  However, I think his game management is suspect and I feel like every time I hear about a great play, it's Allen reading the D and audibling into the play.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong, but it just kind of irks me when Daboll is viewed as some genius developer of Allen.

Edited by Back2Buff
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Daboll is pretty good at taking plays from other teams and running them here.  He is very good at listening to his players.  However, I think his game management is suspect and I feel like every time I hear about a great play, it's Allen reading the D and audibling into the play.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong, but it just kind of irks me when Daboll is viewed as some genius developer of Allen.

You do realize that the OC is the one that develops the audibles right?  Furthermore...Daboll has done nothing but rebut people and give Allen most of the credit for development.  

Edited by Lagoon Blues
  • Like (+1) 4

I am on board with this. Daboll has had 1 yr being a solid OC. He was awful at his other 3 stops, and honestly wasnt good at Alabama. I have no problem with Daboll leaving, and think the Bills will be fine. Especially with an OC that knows how to run the ball. Bills run scheme of inside and outside zone is terrible... Reminds me of university of Florida. 

Just now, dbfla10 said:

I am on board with this. Daboll has had 1 yr being a solid OC. He was awful at his other 3 stops, and honestly wasnt good at Alabama. I have no problem with Daboll leaving, and think the Bills will be fine. Especially with an OC that knows how to run the ball. Bills run scheme of inside and outside zone is terrible... Reminds me of university of Florida. 

He was awful in his 3 other stops.....do you know who his 3 other QBs were?

The reason I think Daboll deserves credit is because they put a lot on this kid even early. I am not a big believer in developing Quarterbacks by hiding them. For the most part the Bills recognised Josh is a guy who needs the ball in his hands and put it there. Even last year when he was still making mistakes. I agree that Daboll hasn't played a huge part in his mechanics but he has played a part in the improved decision making by exposing Josh to a lot early. By the end of his second year Allen had seen almost everything. That is a factor in his jump. 

Don't get me wrong #1 is Allen's talent and dedication to his craft. But Daboll, Palmer, Dorsey have all played a part. 

I disagree on the playcalls as well. Daboll has called 3 or 4 great games this year. He didn't call his best one last Saturday, granted, but that second New England game and the San Fran game stick out to me as fantastic gameplans where he set them both up early to get them out of their usual defense and into formations the Bills wanted them in. You still need your Quarterback to go and execute and Josh did but all those blown coverages in those two games? They were because of the way Brian Daboll had set them up. 

EDIT: I should clarify that none of this is a "Josh could collapse if Daboll leaves!" He won't. He is great. But it isn't a given the Bills next playcaller is as good as Dabes has been for the most part this year. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dbfla10 said:

this is one of the best offenses in the league and you guys are on here criticizing the OC a day before a playoff game? Slow Friday?

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, nucci said:

this is one of the best offenses in the league and you guys are on here criticizing the OC a day before a playoff game? Slow Friday?

We had folks in the shoutbox yesterday actively hoping he gets hired away. Not "I don't think it matters if he stays or goes we will be fine" but actually hoping he leaves. Bizarre. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

We had folks in the shoutbox yesterday actively hoping he gets hired away. Not "I don't think it matters if he stays or goes we will be fine" but actually hoping he leaves. Bizarre. 

people, amirite?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm confused why Daboll gets so much credit for John Allen's success.

Allen has always been an athletic marvel, his biggest issue has always been mechanical inconsistency.  The OC does very little work on a QBs mechanics, that is left up to the QB coach, and in Josh's case, Palmer in the offseason.  To me, it is no coincidence that in the offseason which had tighter rules on working with Bills coaches, Allen took the biggest leap.  Palmer is incredible and Daboll is profiting off of it.  Not to mention Allen's attitude has been nothing short of tremendous.  The kid put in work mentally in the offseason, you see it every drive.  He reads the defense so well now, and from watching Tom vs Time, that is something that is perfected in the offseason.

I feel like you believe Allen makes up the audible plays on the spot and that it's not from the playbook or something.

The reason guys are wide open all the time is because Daboll schemes them open very well.  He's been putting the defenses in binds all year.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Dont want Daboll fired but Im not afraid if he leaves to be a HC. The Bills will be fine, and possibly better without him. 

how would we be better without him and there's no way he gets fired

Edited by nucci

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

how would we be better without him and there's no way he gets fired

I love Daboll. I hope he stays.  That’s said, there’s a chance that whomever replaces him improves on what Daboll has in place.  Maybe develop a better run game, while keeping the high powered passing attack.  It is possible 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I love Daboll. I hope he stays.  That’s said, there’s a chance that whomever replaces him improves on what Daboll has in place.  Maybe develop a better run game, while keeping the high powered passing attack.  It is possible 

of course....I just don't get people that want him to leave

• Agree 1

I personally think Daboll was huge in JAs success with the team.

I wont say he is the reason JA became what he is.

Id say that was chip on his shoulder, his QB camp and all the hard work he has put in.

Daboll has been with JA his entire career. 3 years of working together and making the offense work for both parties.

Losing Daboll will hurt, we will see a drop on the effectiveness in our offense just because of how acclimated JA currently is with it. 

A new OC will bring in new plays and a mentality that will take time for JA to readjust. 

• Like (+1) 1