Plumbing stuff. Don't ignore.

Just Jack

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

Are you not getting enough bran?  

It's not my personal plumbing I'm asking about, it's my house hold plumbing. We've lived here just over two years, so I don't know the last time anything has been done. 

We’ve had 6 different properties since 1986 and have never cleaned a trap, and never had a problem. Obviously, if there were ANY inkling of trouble we’d be all over they S%$& ASAP!  None of our properties were older (much beyond 20 years tops), so it some point you have to worry about the integrity of the lines. I try not to worry about things without reason, but don’t want you to blame ME if.......stuff hits the fan! 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Anyone ever get your sewer drain cleaned out just because you felt like it? I'm not having any issues, just thinking it may be good to do some preventive maintenance now instead of emergency repairs later. 

Had roots in ours about 5 years ago, right at the end of the line (they really might have been in the main), so I put in root killer in the spring and summer.  They haven't returned. 

Root killer only works if there is running water in the line, in order for it to get to a problem. 

So far, it has been worth the $40-$60 per year investment. Our line is about 130 feet to the main, so I don't feel like dealing with a blockage, if at all possible.

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Anyone ever get your sewer drain cleaned out just because you felt like it? I'm not having any issues, just thinking it may be good to do some preventive maintenance now instead of emergency repairs later. 

Sewer drain or septic? We have septic systems out here. No public sewer.  

I had my sewer collapse a couple months after buying our house a few years ago. Roots crushed the clay had to dig and replace.

If you are ever worried, it’s not a huge expense to camera it, might give you some insight into whether you need preventative clean outs or jetting.

• Agree 1

We built out house in 1994 so we are the only owners. Might be worth having it checked. I assume there are people who can do a video inspection with a snake?

36 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Public sewer.  Plus the house is on a small hill above the street, so it should be sloped down to the main out there. 

So what did they find?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So what did they find?

I haven't had it done yet, just considering it. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  But flush your hot water tank yearly... 😆 

If you flush your tank, that will run water through the drain.  😉 😜 

Oh... Should probably get on roof and make sure the stink pipes/vents aren't all block up with junk, like nests, etc...

Flushing the tank I've heard of, but have never done.  I was on the roof recently, not to check the vents, but because I had a leak around the furnace chimney. There was a good 1/2" gap all around the pipe. Used some of that flex seal tape, haven't heard any water dripping when it rains since.  I'll see about getting a more permanent fix later in the spring. 

• Agree 1

As for your sewer system, I'd video it first to see if you're ok or not.  

I'll add a preventative maintenance tip - have your water tested. 

If you do not soften your water, and your water happens to be acidic, the acid in your water is doing a slow, incremental job corroding your copper pipes if you have them.  At some point, pinhole leaks can develop, usually on the horizontal pipes, and the soldered joints can get weak.  Once you start with those leaks, the paranoia of a more catastrophic failure grows. 

You know those failures only occur when the house is unoccupied, usually for several hours.  😃  

On 1/14/2021 at 10:15 PM, Just Jack said:

I use chemicals proactively in my drains because I have had issues in the past with laundry soap and whatever else clogging the lowest trap in my house (built in 1952). I have pulled tennis ball sized globuals out of that trap with a shop vac. My neighbor has similar issues and has a ladel taped to a stick to help scoop the stuff out.

If I use a chemical every 6 months or so it seems to help keep everything flowing well. Mostly it's something like drain-o, I will recommend the liquid fire it worked well for me as a one time cleanout. Read the directions etc with all that stuff. I also like to use boiled water to warm the pipes up because the buildup can extend down the pipe, but be careful with that as well. I mainly do that to not run a ton of hot water, we also have a well. 

The biggest thing is to watch for slowdowns in your drains, mine manifested itself when the laundry drain was filling up both sides of our wash basin instead of draining from the one side as it had in the past. Stuff like the amount of water you're standing in during a shower and lower power on your toilet flush can be warnings also.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.