Jaguars officially hire Urban Meyer as HC

YoloinOhio

I am a skeptic about Meyer.  Its a completely different universe trying to deal with varying personalities of adult millionaires and balancing salary cap decisions with recruiting and leveraging a heavy athlete advantage, and being King of the college athletics program.  

IMO it is a large and unnecessary risk by the Jaguars.  

Edited by May Day 10

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

One thing I haven’t seen posted yet (may have missed it) is we play them in Jax next year.  The vaccine thing should be close to done by September so you could enjoy three FL games if you like to travel for the games (Tampa, Jax, and Miami).

I wish the Jacksonville game was at home, I would have loved to go to it.   Allen vs. Lawrence (or Fields)... and a near-automatic W :)

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I am a skeptic about Meyer.  Its a completely different universe trying to deal with varying personalities of adult millionaires and balancing salary cap decisions with recruiting and leveraging a heavy athlete advantage, and being King of the college athletics program.  

IMO it is a large and unnecessary risk by the Jaguars.  

It is different in the pros. Many -if not most- college coaches fail, especially hard nosed types. But Meyer ran an asylum in Florida and I think the same at OSU. ‘COLORFUL’, if not downright criminal behavior was not only tolerated, he covered for it.  He’ll need a Cap guy and strong talent evaluators, but I’m optimistic he’ll do well.

This feels like an attempt to inspire the fan base who care more about the Gators than the NFL. The Jags are not a good organization who will put Meyer in a position to learn the NFL. I don’t see how this will end good. I already envision Meyer leaving early citing health concerns when things don’t go well. 

On 1/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, YoloinOhio said:

This plus Lawrence ,  huge cap space, two first round picks and I think 9 picks overall.   An owner willing to spend money, is patient, and one who will be willing to give control to a coach who is a proven winner.  Coughlin was great to start the franchise as it was 2 years of organizing before even playing the first game. Then he went with a good d coordinator in delrio, but no HC experience.  Made another crazy pick with Gus Bradley. Compounded it by hiring little known Marone after he quit on the Bills. Who hires a red flag guy like that ?  Bradley, marone, del rio all had years  to turn things around. Remember, Coughlin who had the most success down here was straight from Boston college, so Urban coming from larger div 1 schools will not be in over his head.   The community has not supported the team well because after Coughlin left, the have had almost zero success. They lucked out with a year under Bortles but let’s face it a 10-3 win over the rebuilding Bills was nothing to build a dynasty on. 

If you haven’t read Urbans book, ABOVE THE LINE, it’s worth a read. It’s about his no nonsense philosophy on success and how he runs a locker room and holds everyone accountable.  With the right staff, getting a bunch of new draft picks in , being able to draw free agents to a no state income tax environment, I bet he will have a winning record by his second year. He will be a big draw because of his success at Florida.  Guy has a history of winning programs, anywhere he goes. If he stays 5 years it will be a great success given the turnover in the NFL and may get the franchise relevant again.  Heck I would even travel the 15 min to go see the Bills kick the jags butt as urban builds them to relevance again ! 

On 1/15/2021 at 5:15 PM, Chandler#81 said:

It is different in the pros. Many -if not most- college coaches fail, especially hard nosed types. But Meyer ran an asylum in Florida and I think the same at OSU. ‘COLORFUL’, if not downright criminal behavior was not only tolerated, he covered for it.  He’ll need a Cap guy and strong talent evaluators, but I’m optimistic he’ll do well.

I watched Eric Wood on Cowherd he said he had texted with Brandon Spikes about Meyer handling NFL players and Spikes said "if you are a baller Urban will get on just fine with you." Think that is similar to what you are saying above. Unlike Saban, for example, Meyer indulged stars to an extent in college so that transition managing a locker room is easier for him.

• Like (+1) 1