Jaguars officially hire Urban Meyer as HC

YoloinOhio

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fascinated by this hire. Am led to believe Scott Linehan is his first choice for OC and he was in on Dan Quinn for DC before he signed with Dallas.

That is noteworthy because both Linehan and Dan Quinn were on Nick Saban's first staff in Miami.

I haven’t heard anything about OC. He has offered the DC position to Greg Mattison. He will likely take it but if not Chris Ash is his 2nd choice. He has offered his DL coach position to Charlie strong. Mattison has had NfL experience with Harbaugh/Ravens but it’s been over a decade. Thought he could go more nfl heavy on assistants. I expect a run at Harry Heistand as OL coach 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

what caused the loathing?  

Urban was a jerk to his buddy Luke Fickell. Per source, Vrabel attacked him by the throat (this was when he worked for him for that one year as DL coach)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I tend to agree with most on here.  I think Urban Meyer is in for a rude awakening in the NFL... the job is completely different in the pros as compared to college.

Steve Spurrier's run in Washington is what I imagine Jacksonville will look like over the next couple of seasons.

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

If I’m one of the dozen Jags fans, I’m NOT excited by this. You can’t “out-recruit” because of the Jags name in the NFL.  It’s the pros, new ballgame. He might be just fine, but how long is he going to last? His track record says not all that long before he’s retired again, for whatever reason.

NEVER in a million years would I trade McD for Meyer. I feel like we have a real and long term solution. They have a short term big splash, IMO. 

McD wasn’t available tho. It’s not like they had that choice.

Let alone it took McD three years to cement himself as a real and long term solution.

48 minutes ago, Doc said:

My son was saying that because they hired Meyer, they are actually entertaining taking Justin Felds first overall. I laughed.

Certainly possible if someone trades him a bunch of picks.  I am sure he got inside info on him from his protégé Ryan Day. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-planner-does-meyers-arrival-with-jaguars-open-the-door-at-all-for-justin-fields-at-1-201638004.html

Personally I think a lot of players for Ohio State have been overrated due to level of coaching.

We heard similar things about "Wrong" Josh which we have heard about Lawrence.

If he does it he will probably sign Lawrence and then trade him for picks on draft day to ensure he gets is one he wants.

It would be a bad start to trade #1 pick (although high chance he will have #1 pick next year as well) and then not get the player he wants.

Urban Meyer has a really good history as a program builder and this is a pretty good choice, especially considering that college coaches transitioning to the NFL is a more viable idea than ever. Matt rule and Cliff Kingsbury are currently in the NFL, Pete Carroll is the obvious success story from college, Doug Marrone has had some NFL success too.

On top of that it's quite the underrated job because you have a strong owner that's willing to spend money and give people time, the consensus best quarterback prospect in a while, and the next cap space where you don't have to take a year to completely tear everything down.

I don't know if this will work, but I definitely think this is the right type of hire for Jacksonville.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

McD wasn’t available tho. It’s not like they had that choice.

Let alone it took McD three years to cement himself as a real and long term solution.

That's how long it usually takes coaches.  If they ever do.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Certainly possible if someone trades him a bunch of picks.  I am sure he got inside info on him from his protégé Ryan Day. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-planner-does-meyers-arrival-with-jaguars-open-the-door-at-all-for-justin-fields-at-1-201638004.html

Personally I think a lot of players for Ohio State have been overrated due to level of coaching.

We heard similar things about "Wrong" Josh which we have heard about Lawrence.

If he does it he will probably sign Lawrence and then trade him for picks on draft day to ensure he gets is one he wants.

It would be a bad start to trade #1 pick (although high chance he will have #1 pick next year as well) and then not get the player he wants.

I can't see it.  Lawrence is a consensus "generational QB" and taking him first overall wouldn't be a risk because if he fails, it's because he failed, not the Jags.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I can't see it.  Lawrence is a consensus "generational QB" and taking him first overall wouldn't be a risk because if he fails, it's because he failed, not the Jags.

Consensus "generational QBs" are the type of players a team can get "Herschel Walker" type boatload of picks which can transform a franchise.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Consensus "generational QBs" are the type of players a team can get "Herschel Walker" type boatload of picks which can transform a franchise.

Maybe.  But the Cowboys would have been nowhere without getting Aikman, which had nothing to do with HW.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Fascinated by this hire. Am led to believe Scott Linehan is his first choice for OC and he was in on Dan Quinn for DC before he signed with Dallas.

That is noteworthy because both Linehan and Dan Quinn were on Nick Saban's first staff in Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes they can.

Did they change the rule? Last year the rule was you can't be on if you have a 1st year head coach, or have been in the playoffs within the last 2 seasons, or have already been on the show within the last 10 years. Under those rules it's Cowboys, Giants, Broncos, or Cardinals.

Edited by HappyDays