Jaguars officially hire Urban Meyer as HC

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The NFL isn’t glamorous man unless you win it all. You’re in the office 18-hours a day, sleeping on couches, eating pizza out of the box, grinding, studying tape relentlessly.

So, when Wrecks was going out the door at 3:30, it wasn't to go get Rob's pizza?   Who would have thunk it?! 🤔

Aren't you glad we finally let him out of the building? 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Punctuation.

8 hours ago, y2zipper said:

Urban Meyer has a really good history as a program builder and this is a pretty good choice, especially considering that college coaches transitioning to the NFL is a more viable idea than ever. Matt rule and Cliff Kingsbury are currently in the NFL, Pete Carroll is the obvious success story from college, Doug Marrone has had some NFL success too.

On top of that it's quite the underrated job because you have a strong owner that's willing to spend money and give people time, the consensus best quarterback prospect in a while, and the next cap space where you don't have to take a year to completely tear everything down.

I don't know if this will work, but I definitely think this is the right type of hire for Jacksonville.

Can't out recruit in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, y2zipper said:

Urban Meyer has a really good history as a program builder and this is a pretty good choice, especially considering that college coaches transitioning to the NFL is a more viable idea than ever. Matt rule and Cliff Kingsbury are currently in the NFL, Pete Carroll is the obvious success story from college, Doug Marrone has had some NFL success too.

On top of that it's quite the underrated job because you have a strong owner that's willing to spend money and give people time, the consensus best quarterback prospect in a while, and the next cap space where you don't have to take a year to completely tear everything down.

I don't know if this will work, but I definitely think this is the right type of hire for Jacksonville.

Big difference when it comes to the NFL, Urban will probably retire suddenly and screw the Jags.

• Haha (+1) 1

He’d better load up on NFL assistants.  He does cultivate good programs, but he’s kind of like the Parcells of college ball.  He builds a program up and then takes off, ie. Pats, Jets, Fins as a GM, and Dallas.  I didn’t include the Giants as he hung around there for quite sometime.

Not that this is a good reason to hire someone, but he is God in that area.  Not because of his Ohio days, but FL.  That’s Gator country.  He’ll have a nice QB to develop, and there are some talented players on that team, not a lot, so he will have to build this up over a couple of years like McD did here.

One thing I haven’t seen posted yet (may have missed it) is we play them in Jax next year.  The vaccine thing should be close to done by September so you could enjoy three FL games if you like to travel for the games (Tampa, Jax, and Miami).

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Certainly possible if someone trades him a bunch of picks.  I am sure he got inside info on him from his protégé Ryan Day. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-planner-does-meyers-arrival-with-jaguars-open-the-door-at-all-for-justin-fields-at-1-201638004.html

Personally I think a lot of players for Ohio State have been overrated due to level of coaching.

We heard similar things about "Wrong" Josh which we have heard about Lawrence.

If he does it he will probably sign Lawrence and then trade him for picks on draft day to ensure he gets is one he wants.

It would be a bad start to trade #1 pick (although high chance he will have #1 pick next year as well) and then not get the player he wants.

This will be one of those forced storylines during draft season. Urban is already on record ranking Lawrence above fields before the season. Things could have changed since september but I doubt it. I do think he signs some of his former players in FA similar to what Matt Rhule did last year (Robbie Anderson). I expect him to pay a guy like Curtis Samuel. I would not be surprised to see him give Haskins a shot in TC as a backup/QB3. But the Fields thing is going to be brought constantly up without real context imo. He never coached him, already said Lawrence is better, etc. 

11 hours ago, Bigvinny said:

Bills play in Jville next season. Easy 3 hour drive from SC. Saw a few Bills games there. The 1pm September games are brutally hot though. 

Can't wait for that beat down and serving Urban a hugh slice of humble pie..., Welcome to the NFL.

Meyers personality might not built for today’s NFL. Meyers reminds me of a Saban, Spurrier, Kelly etc... who struggled relating to the pro athlete. You can’t be an authoritarian leader with these players. Maybe Meyer leads with more of an authoritative style that we don’t get to see in meetings and practices. I am sure the fact the Lawerence is the number one pick played a big part in his decision. Lawerence is the ultimate Teebow. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Fascinated by this hire. Am led to believe Scott Linehan is his first choice for OC and he was in on Dan Quinn for DC before he signed with Dallas.

That is noteworthy because both Linehan and Dan Quinn were on Nick Saban's first staff in Miami.

lol, that's a bit of a bad omen when you think of not flight college coaches going to AFC teams in florida!  big time football really does have a club, doesn't it?

Now he has to deal with a salary cap and player limits.

I guess he does get 90 at camp but he is used to having a 100 all season ;)

11 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

Can't wait for that beat down and serving Urban a hugh slice of humble pie..., Welcome to the NFL.

He could be the next Jimmie Jones for all we know ;) 

so obviously i want the jags to lose because they are a team in our conference, but i think out of all of the college guys, urban has the best chance to succeed.  ive always been very impressed with how players come out of his program self motivated and ready to be solid pros.  i think his skills will suit the nfl better than most.  He still has a big fat chance to fail, but i do think he's better for the job than most

his sociopath all that matters is winning and people are to be used towards a goal might actually be an asset in the cut throat world of pro football.  reminds me of a coach in our division.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Now he has to deal with a salary cap and player limits.

I guess he does get 90 at camp but he is used to having a 100 all season ;)

This is true. But Urban Meyer won at Bowling Green and Utah as well, it is not as if his only successes were at Florida and Ohio State with big resources. The dude can flat out coach football. Does his style of managing a programme translate to professional athletes? Maybe, maybe not. To me he has a shot because he is getting a Quarterback who almost everyone thinks will be good and he is getting a young rebuilding roster. That is the way Jimmy Johnson did it all those years ago in Dallas. He didn't try and win over all the old grizzled NFL vets. He cleared them out and brought in young hungry kids who knew no other way. Meyer has a chance to do the same in Jacksonville. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This will be one of those forced storylines during draft season. Urban is already on record ranking Lawrence above fields before the season. Things could have changed since september but I doubt it. I do think he signs some of his former players in FA similar to what Matt Rhule did last year (Robbie Anderson). I expect him to pay a guy like Curtis Samuel. I would not be surprised to see him give Haskins a shot in TC as a backup/QB3. But the Fields thing is going to be brought constantly up without real context imo. He never coached him, already said Lawrence is better, etc. 

Good point on Haskins. Might have just saved his career. At least in terms of hanging around the league a few years. What was that crap QB called who Kirbs tried to convince me was going to be an awesome NFL WR? The one Cardale took the job off? Is he still hanging on somewhere? Think Houston drafted him but he is not there anymore...

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I think you’re right. The hype has died down considerably. 

There is still a lot of buzz that he at the top of the LAC list. That was always the most likely spot IMO. If he doesn't get that job he is staying put. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Good point on Haskins. Might have just saved his career. At least in terms of hanging around the league a few years. What was that crap QB called who Kirbs tried to convince me was going to be an awesome NFL WR? The one Cardale took the job off? Is he still hanging on somewhere? Think Houston drafted him but he is not there anymore...

There is still a lot of buzz that he at the top of the LAC list. That was always the most likely spot IMO. If he doesn't get that job he is staying put. 

Braxton Miller - I do not think he’s on a PS at the moment. I don’t know if urb uses a spot on him at this point but could see him giving a QC job or something if he wants to get into coaching. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

More fool them. It is the greatest city on earth.

It wasn't a knock against London and I agree it's a great city.  But it's a 7 hour plane ride alone to NYC, never mind everything around the hassle of taking a flight, and it's a different city and culture.