Well now I'm mad..... Talking heads Lamar vs. Josh

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think it’s more about Josh’s fumble than it is about Lamars run. That fumble, while we recovered it, reminded everyone what happened last year and puts the thought in their mind that his inability to refuse to play hero ball will always seem to rear it’s head. Jmo

edit:  I mean, he was 93% of our total offense. the guy threw for 325, ran for 50, had 3 TDs and 72% comp, the only player ever to do so......yet I’ve  heard little to nothing about him except the fumble all week. 

WRT bolded, I think he improved this year but it will always be simmering below the surface. But your edit is the bigger point. As it stands now the reward merits the occasional risk. It wasn't that way at this time last year. Hopefully he continues to mitigate the risk and maximize the reward.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

WRT bolded, I think he improved this year but it will always be simmering below the surface. But your edit is the bigger point. As it stands now the reward merits the occasional risk. It wasn't that way at this time last year. Hopefully he continues to mitigate the risk and maximize the reward.

I have no problem with the hero ball.  That’s part of who he is.  It’s one of the reason I’m proud he’s my qb.  Win at all costs.  Sometimes it leads to head scratching moments.....and that’s ok.  The key, just as you stated, is to mitigate the risk and maximize the reward....and get us a SB before we die

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's lazy to call the fumble against the Colts "hero ball" just because of what happened in the playoff game last year (where if the men in black shirts don't take away the fumble for a TD or Duke hauls in that perfect TD pass, they win and there's no "hero ball" talk).  The pressure was on him immediately and after getting out of it, someone else was there to meet him and went for the ball as he was taking him down.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's lazy to call the fumble against the Colts "hero ball" just because of what happened in the playoff game last year (where if the men in black shirts don't take away the fumble for a TD or Duke hauls in that perfect TD pass, they win and there's no "hero ball" talk).  The pressure was on him immediately and after getting out of it, someone else was there to meet him and went for the ball as he was taking him down.

You’re right, but it doesn’t change the fact that that’s what everyone is talking about.  Non bills fans will never mention the fumble TD or dukes drop.  That’s not part of the equation anymore.  Good Josh and Bad Josh is all that will be discussed

Lamar Jackson is a good story. I don’t fault the media at all for rooting for him if only for likes/clicks/papers. His unlikely squeak into the 1st round to get drafted, his development as a thrower who was seen as merely an athletic QB, and he’s Tyrod Taylor-level respectful to the media so of course they’re all about his narrative. It doesn’t hurt that he’s also riding the wave of the current popular social movement. Makes Josh seem milk toast.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re right, but it doesn’t change the fact that that’s what everyone is talking about.  Non bills fans will never mention the fumble TD or dukes drop.  That’s not part of the equation anymore.  Good Josh and Bad Josh is all that will be discussed

I don't expect anyone to talk about those plays in the Houston game and I do think that what he did trying to lateral the ball to Knox was hero ball.  What I'm saying is that the sack-fumble wasn't "hero ball" and I've seen hundreds of QBs do that. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't expect anyone to talk about those plays in the Houston game and I do think that what he did trying to lateral the ball to Knox was hero ball.  What I'm saying is that the sack-fumble wasn't "hero ball" and I've seen hundreds of QBs do that. 

Most would consider shrugging off one DL into the hands of another.....and not covering up the ball and turtling hero ball. Once Autry grabbed him he should’ve covered the ball and went down. He had two arms around him and and he was going nowhere.....yet he tried to run with autry on his back.....and fumbled.  

I defend JAs hero ball 24/7.  I love it.  I realize that we’ll probably lose games because of it.  He had no chance to get away there and needs to realize when to give up on the play.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Most would consider shrugging off one DL into the hands of another.....and not covering up the ball and turtling hero ball. Once Autry grabbed him he should’ve covered the ball and went down. He had two arms around him and and he was going nowhere.....yet he tried to run with autry on his back.....and fumbled.  

I defend JAs hero ball 24/7.  I love it.  I realize that we’ll probably lose games because of it.  He had no chance to get away there and needs to realize when to give up on the play.  

Autry held Josh up and pinned his left arm so that he couldn't cover up the ball, allowing him to swipe at it.  It was a good play on Autry's part and if there's any criticism I have of Josh, it's his fumbling.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

Sports media is PURE hot take now.  That's as far as anyone thinks.

It's a simple calculation. That gets them attention. People rush to their teams forums to make threads like these. It's a win for them. If the Bills win, they suffer no consequences and get the ride the continued "No one believes in Allen" story which gets them just as much attention

• Agree 1

Lamar is a supremely talented football player. What he lacks in pass abilities he more than makes up for with amazing scrambling and designed runs. That said an offense he QB’d 15/16 games for came in dead last in passing. I wish him well from a health perspective but if this guy suffers a lower body injury he’s basically just another fill-in QB. To that extent I’d make Jackson pass by loading the box and bringing the house down on him, playing a single high safety. 

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Ita funny how fast all the national talking heads have jumped off the bills bandwagon.

Its kinda odd that a 13 and 3 second seed with one of the toughest strength of schedules is being talked down to a 5 seed that squeeked in on an easier schedule, after the bills just won a playoff game.

I understand to a certain point and I think the ravens are going to be a problem with a good shot they can win, but its like all of a sudden the bills are not trendy because they didnt win by enough.

I pose the question along the lines you’re thinking

if the bills had the top ranked rushing attack and 32nd passing attack with a top 3 defense - would we be considered to win in Baltimore?

or against anyone in the playoffs ?

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I wouldn't expect anything else from here on out.  

This. If we beat the Ravens we will barely be given a chance against the Chiefs and in the Super Bowl by the vast majority of the talking heads. Guaranteed. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I’m going to pick a QB in a 40 yard dash, Lamar is the guy. 

If I’m going to pick a QB for this week, I’m not sure, but hopeful.

If I’m going to pick a QB for the next 15+ years, Josh is my guy! No question for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep I wanted to stay away this week as I stated this would be the conversation and Lamar comes back from 10-0 down in the first and the Ravens score a whole 20 points and it is a coin flip but most go with Lamar.

Amazing what one 48 yard run get's you....

Yes it was ESPN.

Friday Saturday no TV (and certainly no ESPN)......

Lamar seems like a decent person, but that's not the debate.

Just had to vent.

I mean, why even let it irritate you? 

"Buffalo -vs- Everybody", that's how it is.

Lamar Jackson was last year's league MVP.  The media narrative was written for a repeat coronation this year.  I forget which game it was - might have been KC, might have been Pitts, but the Ravens were struggling a bit (which happens) and Lamar was struggling to both run and pass (which happens) and overall his season had been just OK to that point, while the announcers were talking about how "this young man was great last year and he just keeps getting better and better, just go ahead and measure him for his gold jacket already!"

It struck me, not because I have any problem with the notion that Lamar might be in the HOF someday, but because it was so out of sync with how he was actually playing in that game up to that point.  It just seemed like there was a pre-written narrative to puff Jackson up. *shrug*

He's not responsible for that, of course, and it doesn't take away from when he does play well

Edit: I just want to see our D step up and stick their tackles so that I'm not looking at a big game breaking run from anyone wearing a Baltimore jersey

4 hours ago, Sweats said:

Well, the Ravens beat the Titans....we weren't able to do that this year and in fact, we got shellacked.

Hey, hey....dont hate the player, hate the game

Transitive property huh?  Ravens were 0-2 against the Steelers who we bludgeoned.  Want to watch me prove the Jaguars were actually the best team in the NFL?  Using your logic it wouldn’t be difficult.