Worst. Sequels. Ever.

4_kidd_4

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Alien as a piece of work is MASSIVELY superior to Aliens in every way.

But I actually really like ALIENS.  Among the 10 million Alien sequels, it's pretty much the only I enjoy watching.

They managed to capture a lot of the vibe of the original.

Alien the original is one of the best movies ever made, and one of the absolutely most copied/ripped off films of all time.

There are 10 million movies that have come along since that are, more or less, an Alien ripoff.

It spawned an entire genre of film.

That's not easy to do! 

Before you get too carried away with the idea that Alien is the most ripped off film of all time..........it might never have been made if the original screen adaptation of Dune in the mid-70's had actually been produced.   Alien was the best of the movies that were heavily influenced by the years of work on Dune and it's sprawling storyboards.    It stole the soul of Dune and delivered a great but only bite-sized movie experience that Dune couldn't be reduced down to.    I like Aliens a lot too but the rest have missed the mark.   The Prometheus movies had a lot of potential but somehow they blew it.    Even Prometheus was still ripping off or paying homage to Gigers art for Dune though       

• Agree 1

On 11/3/2022 at 5:42 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Before you get too carried away with the idea that Alien is the most ripped off film of all time..........it might never have been made if the original screen adaptation of Dune in the mid-70's had actually been produced.   Alien was the best of the movies that were heavily influenced by the years of work on Dune and it's sprawling storyboards.    It stole the soul of Dune and delivered a great but only bite-sized movie experience that Dune couldn't be reduced down to.    I like Aliens a lot too but the rest have missed the mark.   The Prometheus movies had a lot of potential but somehow they blew it.    Even Prometheus was still ripping off or paying homage to Gigers art for Dune though       

Giger was involved in Alien. So you're saying Giger ripped off Giger.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Giger was involved in Alien. So you're saying Giger ripped off Giger.

Giger was an obscure, grotesque artist who was brought into the movie business to do all the design for Dune by the eccentric movie maker Jodorowsky.    Giger and Dan O'Bannon of Alien worked on Dune for a couple years.  It was ready to shoot but it was like an 8 hour movie and no studio would undertake that.    There was a massive amount of work created for Dune.  When the work didn't get used on Dune the distinctive Giger style was able to be used in Alien.   Other popular movies borrowed from the work of Dune too because studios were given the full storyboarded book as a sales pitch for Dune.   40 years later, the mountains in Prometheus were an homage to Giger's Harkonen palace design from the original Dune.   

A girl I know is hugely into anything horror. Not my thing, but according to her the final (supposedly) offering in the Mike Myers saga, ‘Halloween Ends’, is beyond terrible. She almost walked out of the theatre. That bad. 
For anyone who doesn’t know, the Mike Myers mask is a William Shatner face mask. I noticed it the first time I saw Halloween. 
If I’d been in charge of the final Halloween flick, I’d have had him finally killed with his victims removing his mask to reveal…..actor William Shatner. 
(this is why nobody leaves me in charge of anything) 😏

On 11/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Giger was an obscure, grotesque artist who was brought into the movie business to do all the design for Dune by the eccentric movie maker Jodorowsky.    Giger and Dan O'Bannon of Alien worked on Dune for a couple years.  It was ready to shoot but it was like an 8 hour movie and no studio would undertake that.    There was a massive amount of work created for Dune.  When the work didn't get used on Dune the distinctive Giger style was able to be used in Alien.   Other popular movies borrowed from the work of Dune too because studios were given the full storyboarded book as a sales pitch for Dune.   40 years later, the mountains in Prometheus were an homage to Giger's Harkonen palace design from the original Dune.   

Like life, it was a matter of timing.  Had O'Bannon not worked on Dune, he likely wouldn't have heard about Giger, who created the greatest monster of all time and the reason why Alien has endured for so long (even though I agree that after Aliens, the movies have been bad).  Had Dune not imploded, O'Bannon likely wouldn't have continued to work on the Alien script or hooked up with Ron Shusett, who gave him the idea of the all-important facehugger/chest burster scene (O'Bannon wanted it to come out of his stomach, because he had ulcerative colitis and felt like he was being eaten from the inside out).  And had the script not been passed-over by several directors and landed on the desk of Ridley Scott, a relative nobody at the time but now considered a genius, it wouldn't have been the same stylistically and Giger wouldn't have remained involved because the film company previously fired him for being grotesque.

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

A girl I know is hugely into anything horror. Not my thing, but according to her the final (supposedly) offering in the Mike Myers saga, ‘Halloween Ends’, is beyond terrible. She almost walked out of the theatre. That bad. 
For anyone who doesn’t know, the Mike Myers mask is a William Shatner face mask. I noticed it the first time I saw Halloween. 
If I’d been in charge of the final Halloween flick, I’d have had him finally killed with his victims removing his mask to reveal…..actor William Shatner. 
(this is why nobody leaves me in charge of anything) 😏

Yeah Halloween Ends was atrocious.  I didn't have high hopes after seeing the trailer depicting geriatric Jamie and Michael wrasslin' in a kitchen fight.......but wow it was even more terrible than I imagined.  The previous movie was pretty good but was kinda' tame and lame compared to the second Rob Zombie Halloween which was getting a lot of movie channel run at the time.   After the first two that was probably my favorite.  But the first Rob Zombie Halloween was really lousy.  

• Agree 1

Anyone check out the new Fletch with Jon Hamm on Showtime called "Confess, Fletch? It's not a reboot, but an adaption of a 1976 novel by Gregory Mcdonald.

Hamm was good in it but the movie was pretty meh. And I tried my hardest not to compare it to the first one with Chevy Chase but it was almost impossible not too 

• Agree 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Prometheus is actually pretty amazing once you realize that Scott succeeded in actually making Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness,” his most epic novella (and longest). When Guillermo del Toro, who had been trying to make a version of Mountains for a decade, saw Prometheus, he essentially said it destroyed his great dream: https://www.indiewire.com/2012/05/guillermo-del-toro-says-prometheus-has-killed-at-the-mountains-of-madness-because-they-both-have-the-same-final-twist-252233/amp/. The funniest thing about the critics’ reactions to Prometheus is that many said it was pro-Christianity — which is hilarious if you know about Mountains (and Scott followed that storyline very closely). Anyway, while I fully understand why many don’t see it as a great movie (with the caveat that many don’t actually understand it because of a lack of familiarity with the source material), it is one of *my* favorite sci-fi movies of all time. Worth watching again after reading Mountains.

Agreed about the Giger designs in Jodorowsky’s aborted Dune movie. 

I actually think the third Alien movie (the prison planet one) is excellent and highly underrated, particularly the director’s cut version. I thought Alien: Covenant was pretty bad, however. Very disappointing.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Prometheus is actually pretty amazing once you realize that Scott succeeded in actually making Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness,” his most epic novella (and longest). When Guillermo del Toro, who had been trying to make a version of Mountains for a decade, saw Prometheus, he essentially said it destroyed his great dream: https://www.indiewire.com/2012/05/guillermo-del-toro-says-prometheus-has-killed-at-the-mountains-of-madness-because-they-both-have-the-same-final-twist-252233/amp/. The funniest thing about the critics’ reactions to Prometheus is that many said it was pro-Christianity — which is hilarious if you know about Mountains (and Scott followed that storyline very closely). Anyway, while I fully understand why many don’t see it as a great movie (with the caveat that many don’t actually understand it because of a lack of familiarity with the source material), it is one of *my* favorite sci-fi movies of all time. Worth watching again after reading Mountains.

Agreed about the Giger designs in Jodorowsky’s aborted Dune movie. 

I actually think the third Alien movie (the prison planet one) is excellent and highly underrated, particularly the director’s cut version. I thought Alien: Covenant was pretty bad, however. Very disappointing.

I did not realize that I will have to learn more about the Lovecraft story.   Yeah I actually liked Prometheus a lot as a stand alone...........but it being tied to Covenant really dashed the great start of Prometheus.   That just turned into a meh Alien sequel movie.   I thought maybe Prometheus would be a trilogy and often the second one is the best in those.    It was a let down.

• Agree 1

On 11/5/2022 at 10:37 AM, Doc said:

Like life, it was a matter of timing.  Had O'Bannon not worked on Dune, he likely wouldn't have heard about Giger, who created the greatest monster of all time and the reason why Alien has endured for so long (even though I agree that after Aliens, the movies have been bad).  Had Dune not imploded, O'Bannon likely wouldn't have continued to work on the Alien script or hooked up with Ron Shusett, who gave him the idea of the all-important facehugger/chest burster scene (O'Bannon wanted it to come out of his stomach, because he had ulcerative colitis and felt like he was being eaten from the inside out).  And had the script not been passed-over by several directors and landed on the desk of Ridley Scott, a relative nobody at the time but now considered a genius, it wouldn't have been the same stylistically and Giger wouldn't have remained involved because the film company previously fired him for being grotesque.

O'Bannon made a hilarious college film about outer space call Dark Star. Super low budget and very funny. 

6 hours ago, gomper said:

O'Bannon made a hilarious college film about outer space call Dark Star. Super low budget and very funny. 

Yeah.  O’Bannon was always disappointed with the alien in that because it was literally a beach ball (hard to make a serious horror movie with an alien like that).  He is very lucky that he worked with Jodorowsky on Dune and as a result met Giger. 

On 11/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, The Avenger said:

Gotta say, Breakin' 2 - Electric Bugaloo had none of the clever storylines, breathtaking cinematography and Oscar worthy performances of the original - indeed, a pale imitation of the original...

Word.

I wasn't that disappointed in a sequel since Sister Act II.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Coming to America 2.  I still find Eddie Murphy to be hilarious, in particular his visceral impersonation of Bill Cosby, but this movie?  Not so much.

I love the original...probably a top 5 all-time Comedy for me...but I just can't bring myself to watch the sequel because I know I will be disappointed 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.