Worst. Sequels. Ever.

4_kidd_4

On 1/14/2021 at 8:05 PM, BruceVilanch said:

Terminator 2. 

as far as bad ones The Hangover 2 was absolutely atrocious. 

All the terminator sequals have been pretty bad with the exception of t2. The one with Christian bale was pretty good Imo too. The most recent one (dark fate?) was horrible, and it even got like a 77% on rotten tomatoes. Some good action scenes but 🤮

On 1/14/2021 at 10:06 PM, Turf Toejam 34 said:

Wonder Woman 84........not that the first one was top shelf, but.....woof....

They decided to begin the movie with Wonder Woman in a mall.  Yet, people don't know who she is so presumably she hasn't been out and about in the greater Washington DC area doing Wonder Woman things otherwise, ya know, people would know who she is.  So she decides to come out of 65 years of self imposed seclusion from the public in order to stop a robbery at a mall.  Again, if this were a common occurrence people would know who she is at that point.  Also, since she presumably hadn't been doing that much one would guess that she wasn't tapped into the police a la Batman so how did she know the robbery was even happening?  Had she popped into the food court for a quick Orange Julius and just happened to see it?  If so, she just happened to be wearing her garb underneath?  Had she worn it every day for 65 years just waiting for the right moment to unveil herself?  Was she bored and just lurking at the mall waiting for something to happen? Again, if so, there wasn't ANY other crime she could stop in mid-80's DC?  None?  The drug war is raging all around her, there are wars in Afghanistan and Central America, the US and Soviets are at the brink of WWIII, but this random-ass robbery in a mall is what got her attention?

This is how the movie began. If I spoiled it for you, you're welcome. It doesn't improve.

The Color of Money was an excellent movie sequel.  For most people who enjoyed that film, they probably didn't realize it was even a sequel.  I swear pool as a game exploded in popularity by 300% because of that movie.  

Goldeneye would also be in my Top 10 great sequels because in the early 90s, the Bond franchise was dead and forgotten.  

Before Sunset was probably "better" than Before Sunrise because it has such a deep feeling of finality.  

Since I crapped on Die Hard 5, I'd say Die Hard 3 (Die Hard with a Vengeance) is not only the best sequel in that franchise but an overall above average sequel.  Would have been an amazing sequel if they would have kept the original darker ending.  

A sequel that will never be made but I wish it would be:   True Lies 2.  

On 1/19/2021 at 1:04 PM, Mark Vader said:

Disagree completely.

Yeah, "Aliens" is action packed and has a lot of fun lines. "Game over, man! Game over!"

"Alien" is a spectacular thriller, and is far more intense.

I think Sigourney Weaver once said (paraphrasing) that "Alien" is the haunted house movie, and "Aliens" is the roller coaster ride.

Good description. I love both movies, but they are completely different.  'Alien' was so groundbreaking at the time that it probably gets the nod.

Some of the other Alien sequels, while not being terrible, were pretty lame.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

I think Sigourney Weaver once said (paraphrasing) that "Alien" is the haunted house movie, and "Aliens" is the roller coaster ride.

Good description. I love both movies, but they are completely different.  'Alien' was so groundbreaking at the time that it probably gets the nod.

Some of the other Alien sequels, while not being terrible, were pretty lame.

Overall, the entire Alien franchise is nothing special.

Watch "Alien" & "Aliens", then you can stop.

• Agree 1

The newest (final) Star Wars trilogy was just fine...nothing is ever going to satisfy the Uber-nerds.  I’m a big fan of the series, disliked Episodes I and II immensely, but thoroughly enjoyed everything else.

The Godfather Part III was actually pretty good...but what can stand up to I and II?  Worst mistake in that movie was Coppola’s casting of his daughter Sofia.  Her aside it was an excellent flick.

Caddyshack II is an absolute mess.  Speaking of Chevy Chase sequels, Fletch Lives was a horrible follow-up to one of the funniest (and most quotable) originals of all time.

Edited by eball

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Overall, the entire Alien franchise is nothing special.

Watch "Alien" & "Aliens", then you can stop.

The new/prequel ones are very good imo.

Aliens was good... although I get bothered by how easily they can mow down dozens of aliens at certain points, while typically in the series, 1 alien is normally a colossal problem for a host of people.

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The new/prequel ones are very good imo.

Aliens was good... although I get bothered by how easily they can mow down dozens of aliens at certain points, while typically in the series, 1 alien is normally a colossal problem for a host of people.

I'm a huge Alien fan.  But I thought the prequels sucked (doesn't stop me from watching them when they're on, though 🤦‍♂️).

On 1/20/2021 at 9:04 PM, Doc said:

I'm a huge Alien fan.  But I thought the prequels sucked (doesn't stop me from watching them when they're on, though 🤦‍♂️).

I love Alien and have it somewhere on my favorite films of all time list; probably top 10.

I also thought Aliens the second film was solid.

Everything else so far has been a disappointment and I agree on the prequels. 

I had such hope for Prometheus, but I found it really disappointing.

Covenant wasn't a heck of a lot better.

The feel and atmosphere of the original was never matched in any of the others.  You can't overstate how good Alien was!  

This scene when they investigate the space jockey for the first time is one of my favorite moments in cinematic history!  It was sort of the epicenter of coolness for the entire movie for me.  (Ridley Scott used dwarves as the astronauts to make the space jockey prop look bigger).  Worked very well!  

space-jockey-scene-alien-1979-EFA4CR.jpg

Edited by Nextmanup

Fletch Lives

Caddyshack 2

On 1/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, Greg S said:

On the flip side of bad sequels I thought all three Expendables movies were all pretty good.

As for bad sequels Caddyshack 2, Fletch Lives, Revenge of the Nerds to name a few.

Ahh damn didn't see you beat me to it haha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.