Do we play 3 LB sets vs the ravens or stick with nickel?

NewEra

10 minutes ago, 947 said:

Klein is the best tackler among the LBs. I like him for stuffing the Ravens' RB, but he's not gonna run down Jackson on the outside. I'd start the game in Base-D with 3 LBs & adjust to nickel if it's not working. Even if we go Nickel, I'd like to see Klein take some of Milano's snaps on running downs.

Might be why Darron Lee would be a better option just for this game or at least in some situations.

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Or the 3-4 they played with the outside DE playing OLB on the line on one side and Edmunds playing OLB on the line on the other. 

Keep Milano and Klein as the 2 MLB's and bring one of the S's into the box in a Cover 1 formation. 

Yeah, I saw them playing that a little too, I'm just not a fan of Edmunds on the line, doesn't seem like he can't shed well enough to maintain the edge of the defense. Hopefully we'll find some combo that works.

• Like (+1) 1

Klein should get some run. Basically as the 5th defensive lineman. I see no reason they can’t come out on first downs in a 4-3 and basically just run blitz Klein every first down and keep him right at the line of scrimmage.  Ravens are rarely going to have 3 receiver sets so taron is gonna matchup on andrews or ricard occasionally and that’s a nightmare on a run play. I’m positive regardless of what we want or like they’ll have a decent game plan put together for this. 

13 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Stick with the nickel and keep one if not two spies

The narrative of thinking spies will work in this case just is incorrect. Your spies have to be as fast or faster on defense and we cant top his speed on defense. Contain him in the pocket.. don't let him torch you on long runs. Force him to be a QB and not a runner and don't give up on the blitz..  LB and CB need to take conservative routs towards Lamar to stop him from getting around you.. ya wont stop Lamar from running.. Contain.. spies won't contain its been tried and failed to many times.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Klein is the best tackler among the LBs. I like him for stuffing the Ravens' RB, but he's not gonna run down Jackson on the outside. I'd start the game in Base-D with 3 LBs & adjust to nickel if it's not working. Even if we go Nickel, I'd like to see Klein take some of Milano's snaps on running downs.

The run-fueled 7-minute drives (as we saw from the Colts) are infuriating.  I can only hope that there is real data showing the 2 LB set is the answer based on matchups because it's not obvious to my simple mind when I see it happen.  I see Klein as a choice between limiting chunk plays from the run vs chunk plays by TE's.

I wouldnt play 3 LB unless the 3rd is Lee. Klein would just be to slow for Jackson... The way to miminmize Jacksons running ability is to match his speed, quickness and elusiveness.  Id  play nickle sets. And bring Poyer, Hyde, and Taron into the box to stop the run. Mix ane match which secondary member goes into the box so we dont become too predictable. One play have Taron Johnson in box with Micah covering slot reciever and on next switch it up with Taron on slot reciever and Micah in box.

19 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I wouldnt play 3 LB unless the 3rd is Lee. Klein would just be to slow for Jackson... The way to miminmize Jacksons running ability is to match his speed, quickness and elusiveness.  Id  play nickle sets. And bring Poyer, Hyde, and Taron into the box to stop the run. Mix ane match which secondary member goes into the box so we dont become too predictable. One play have Taron Johnson in box with Micah covering slot reciever and on next switch it up with Taron on slot reciever and Micah in box.

We did it last year with Lorenzo playing the 3rd LB.  Klein is faster than he is. I think it’s more about holding our ground and filling our lanes than it is catching Lamar.  We also have to worry about Dobbins and Edwards. 

i also think it’s really strange that people would rather see Lee out there than Klein.  If we think Klein is too slow, I’d rather have Marlowe or Neal out there than Darron Lee......

I mean, we’re talking about Darron Lee

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2

I think the key is to set the edges with our DE’s and keep Lamar or the RBs from getting outside which is why I think Murphy will be active as he’s better than most of our DE’s at settling the edge. I don’t think we will have a spy, we will be in our normal zone with all eyes looking at the QB in case he takes off up the middle. We need to clog the middle of the field to handle the between the tackle runs, make Lamar throw outside instead of his preferred over the middle TE shots, and we need well timed run blitzes. Our pressure will come from the interior, hopefully Oliver has a monster game, and likely blitzes on 2nd and 3rd and long. 

On offense I think we are going to give Singletary a chance to get into a rhythm running the ball. If/when that isn’t as effective as we like I think we’ll see a lot of WR screens and chip/releases to the flat with Singletary and Yeldon while Josh looks Intermediate/deep first. The real short passing game will have to take over for the running game if we can’t establish Singletary early.

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I can't remember which game it was, but we came out in a 4-3 that didn't last long, maybe one series. Assuming the coaches didn't like what they saw.

I said it the pregame thread, I know it won't happen but would love to see a version of the 5-2. Let the DE's take the outside shoulder and jam the te's, especially andrews. Edmunds, Milano and poyer handle the te's and watch for Lamar running. Might get Oliver into some one on one matchups and just gum up the running lanes.

That is exactly what I think but maybe for a slightly different reason. I would just stand up Hughes or AJ and let them rush or block depending on formation. Fills your gaps, more one on ones, frees up Milano and Edmunds to swarm or rush, let the boys on the back side play their games, messing with Lamars eyes, as they don’t match up well against us!

We have run this formation a few times, but he only uses this in the red zone or in short yardage. Let’s see if he has the guts to pull it out more often...

Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

I think the key is to set the edges with our DE’s and keep Lamar or the RBs from getting outside which is why I think Murphy will be active as he’s better than most of our DE’s at settling the edge. 

Why do you think this? In my brief time focusing on him I thought that was a weakness of his.

8 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Why do you think this? In my brief time focusing on him I thought that was a weakness of his.

It’s is....he was terrible vs the run this year (and most years)......but he was very good holding the edge against the ravens last season

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

New England stopped them really well and played nickel a lot or even dime to match up with his speed outside. 

Can be done either way, the most important thing is to be disciplined.

So did the Chargers last year and they contained Lamar with 7 DB’s on the field. Spying with Edmunds would be a complete waste of a defensive position - edmunds cant spy Lamar; no LB in the NFL can. 

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Let’s be honest there’s a reason why Lamar Jackson doesn’t throw the ball and it isn’t because it’s a totally run orientated offense it’s because he’s not a good passer We need to shut down their run including Lamar or contain it at least and force Lamar Jackson to be a quarterback

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I just took a look at our snap count vs the ravens last year.  

Edmunds and Milano had their expected 100%.  

Lorenzo played 68%, but it doesn’t say how many snaps at LB and how many as a DL.  

This season, Taron Johnson has been playing 80-100% of the snaps with a few scattered games from 55-79%.  Last year, vs the ravens he played 38% of the snaps.   

that’s said, they what do you guys think we do tomorrow?  What % does Taron play on Saturday?  What % does Aj Klein play?  Klein has been the odd man out since milanos return. But could he be the wildcard vs the ravens?  Do we play more 3 LBs sets than nickel?  Is Klein too slow?

Personally, I’d like to see Klein get some run and put his hat on some ravens. He was my (and many others’) whipping boy to start the season, but he’s made me smile a bunch when Milano missed time.

Yes: I realize we’ll play some of both, but at what %?  38% from Taron last year was close to his lowest of the season, minus a game where he was injured. 

I mentioned this in a couple other threads. Frazier and his scheme up is our X factor.  Johnson was terrible last week.  Klein was responsible for the surge that turned the d around winning dpow during the process.  I bring in Klein  to set the edge and we need some pressure which was abysmal last week.  Lamar runs primarily but if he can sit back like rivers did , he will throw 3 tds like he did last year playing us. I also bring up Murphy as I don’t think the rook epenesa is ready for Lamar time. Murphy was good last year   My biggest disappointment of the year was selecting epenesa when dobbins was there fir the taking in an o with no run game. Two weeks ago he had 160 yds plus 2 tds.  This game is being seen As a Ravens win by most “ experts” and hard to argue if our d repeats last week.  They will be coming for josh as that’s who they are, and I hope he can make up for our d who I expect to lose TOP, and struggle against the run with 6-7 ypc.  

Frazier has to slow the Ravens down, get off the field on 3 rd downs. If we have to play the entire gsme from behind, Josh very occasionally presses and if he loses a fumble or throws an int, or turns his back to the Los while in fg position as he is trying to make a play , it coukd be “ bad things man , bad things!”   Love josh , I just hope Frazier doesn’t place the whole world on joshes great shoulders! 

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Let’s be honest there’s a reason why Lamar Jackson doesn’t throw the ball and it isn’t because it’s a totally run orientated offense it’s because he’s not a good passer We need to shut down their run including Lamar or contain it at least and force Lamar Jackson to be a quarterback

I disagree to some extent. He's a good passer. He's just not any better than that. As Chris Simms always says about him, "If a guy is open, Lamar will hit him." That's right. But he doesn't throw guys open or do well in tight windows.

You're right, you have to force him to be a QB. But he's good. He's just not very good.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree. My only thought with playing Taron Johnson a bit more is that he may give us more speed sideline to sideline on any outside read-option runs— and he is actually pretty good against the run for a DB. 

Agreed.  He is WAY better against the run than the pass.  That pop on Taylors goal line sweep was classic Taron, I knew it was him before I saw his number.

The only other db run stopper in his class is Dane Jackson.  Fierce hitter who i think should start ahead of Norman.

• Like (+1) 1