Do we play 3 LB sets vs the ravens or stick with nickel?

NewEra

10 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Lamar threw three TDs last year. I also would like to see Klein. North to south LB. 

Baltimore had 12 possessions that game. 3 TDs, 1 INT, 1 FG and 7 punts.

The 3 TDs came on drives of 24, 51 and 75 yards. They need to make Baltimore drive the field and make them earn the points. Going 24 and 51 yards to start a drive isn't going to cut it. This isn't the same Bills offense, unfortunately it's not the same Bills defense either. Hopefully they show up tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

64% completion, 184 ypg, and 26 TD to 9 INT says he's not a bad passer, either.  He's just not a prolific passer, and he doesn't make all the throws (yet).  What he does do, he does well if he has enough time and he has been slowly adding to his passing vocabulary.

That said I agree with you that "contain their running game" is key, not because Lamar is a bad passer but because the run game is the core of the Ravens offensive identity (that, and passes over the middle to the TE). 

It will be interesting to see how the Bills play this.

Exactly Hap.  Although nickel is their go to in most games which is very good against the pass and outside throws, Lamar is just not adept at outside throws.  It’s a little out of context for this unit, base defense could help and clogging up the interior lanes.  Milano has to have a good game against the TE’s.  They don’t play as much 13 personnel this year, but a lot of 12.

These are big ifs, but if we clog up the middle from the pass and play contain, Lamar is not going to have a good day.

14 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I can't remember which game it was, but we came out in a 4-3 that didn't last long, maybe one series. Assuming the coaches didn't like what they saw.

I said it the pregame thread, I know it won't happen but would love to see a version of the 5-2. Let the DE's take the outside shoulder and jam the te's, especially andrews. Edmunds, Milano and poyer handle the te's and watch for Lamar running. Might get Oliver into some one on one matchups and just gum up the running lanes.

I think a 5-2 would be a really bad idea for many reasons.  We would get torched if they went into a three or four receiver set.  It also puts more bigger slower guys on the field.  I actually say we should consider a base big nickel defense.  Maybe put saffron neal in there on 1st down instead of johnson.  Or we should consider going base 4-3.  I am not sure how we deal with a 300 plus pound full back

Call me crazy but i feel like our defense played really well towards the end of the season with AJ Klein playing the early downs and Milano coming in during passing situations while Matt was recovering from his injury.   I'd like to see some more of that rotation used this week.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Exactly Hap.  Although nickel is their go to in most games which is very good against the pass and outside throws, Lamar is just not adept at outside throws.  It’s a little out of context for this unit, base defense could help and clogging up the interior lanes.  Milano has to have a good game against the TE’s.  They don’t play as much 13 personnel this year, but a lot of 12.

These are big ifs, but if we clog up the middle from the pass and play contain, Lamar is not going to have a good day.

Can someone link LJs pass chart from last game.  Chris Simms put together a video about the matchup and said that LJ was throwing to Brown on the sidelines all game last week, with great success. I looked, but couldn’t find one 

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I think a 5-2 would be a really bad idea for many reasons.  We would get torched if they went into a three or four receiver set.  It also puts more bigger slower guys on the field.  I actually say we should consider a base big nickel defense.  Maybe put saffron neal in there on 1st down instead of johnson.  Or we should consider going base 4-3.  I am not sure how we deal with a 300 plus pound full back

The defense can substitute if the Ravens bring in more wr's. The 5-2 just matches up against a one or two wr set.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

What about Thyme Dodson, Anise Smith and Dill Marlowe?

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can someone link LJs pass chart from last game.  Chris Simms put together a video about the matchup and said that LJ was throwing to Brown on the sidelines all game last week, with great success. I looked, but couldn’t find one 

New Era, I’m not that adept, but I would definitely watch matchup on espn tomorrow morning as I know they have a couple of slots early.  I’m betting they focus on this point as one of their discussion points.

funny as I can’t stand espn, but this show is excellent at his exact question.  They also don’t predict, but just give watch outs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Do whatever the Steelers did they beat them twice

The first loss (28-24) was with Jackson under center; the second (19-14, which the Ravens almost won) was with RGIII and McSorley, as Jackson and a host of starters were out due to COVID-19. Had the Steelers not picked of Jackson twice, the first game may have ended differently, but at that time the Steelers D was playing at a high level. The second game was much more competitive than I anticipated. Pittsburgh should have crushed them. 

I would assume more nickel. While they can pound you some, their X factor is Lamar who’s running is based on shiftiness and speed. He’s not a king Henry type who’s going to bulldoze you as needed. So I am guessing we’ll have DB’s who have a better chance at moving with him and a better chance at being opportunistic on the pass when they try to play action off the run threat.

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

The 3 TDs came on drives of 24, 51 and 75 yards. They need to make Baltimore drive the field and make them earn the points. Going 24 and 51 yards to start a drive isn't going to cut it. This isn't the same Bills offense, unfortunately it's not the same Bills defense either. Hopefully they show up tomorrow.

Much more concerned with our Defense's ability to get off the field. If we contain Lamar and force him to throw we win. If he breaks contain we're in trouble. I think Tremaine has to be the spy all day. Blitz if you must with Milano or Klein. 

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Much more concerned with our Defense's ability to get off the field. If we contain Lamar and force him to throw we win. If he breaks contain we're in trouble. I think Tremaine has to be the spy all day. Blitz if you must with Milano or Klein. 

I said earlier in the thread spies on THIS QB won't work. The only way a spy works is if you have a player that can match his speed. Its been proven that Nickle and dime packages work on him cause they can match the speed. Nickle and Dime up. man up on outside. crowd the line so they cant possibly know who is blitzing. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agreed, short fields killed us last year. And we saw how much field position hurt us last week. Go Bills!

On 1/14/2021 at 5:15 PM, NewEra said:

I just took a look at our snap count vs the ravens last year.  

Edmunds and Milano had their expected 100%.  

Lorenzo played 68%, but it doesn’t say how many snaps at LB and how many as a DL.  

This season, Taron Johnson has been playing 80-100% of the snaps with a few scattered games from 55-79%.  Last year, vs the ravens he played 38% of the snaps.   

that’s said, they what do you guys think we do tomorrow?  What % does Taron play on Saturday?  What % does Aj Klein play?  Klein has been the odd man out since milanos return. But could he be the wildcard vs the ravens?  Do we play more 3 LBs sets than nickel?  Is Klein too slow?

Personally, I’d like to see Klein get some run and put his hat on some ravens. He was my (and many others’) whipping boy to start the season, but he’s made me smile a bunch when Milano missed time.

Yes: I realize we’ll play some of both, but at what %?  38% from Taron last year was close to his lowest of the season, minus a game where he was injured. 

Great call.

That was the exact game plan. 3 LB on most downs and only flip to nickel in obvious 3rd and long passing situations. 

Edited by DJB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Levi played 59% 

Klein played 41%

wallace and normal split 50-50%

I noticed Butler limped off on the first drive, je ended up only playing 33% while the other DTs:

Oliver 51%
phillips 49%
Jefferson 46%
Zimmer 36%

DE-

Hughes 62%
addison 53%

epenesa 36%

murphy 33%

Thoughts? 
I wonder if phillips got more reps with butler because of butler injury or because phillips was playing well.  He stood out to me watching the game.  Hope Butler is close to 💯 come Sunday. 

p.s- Jerry is a beast