Steelers Fire OC Randy Fichtner

YoloinOhio

31 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed. It’ll really hurt their cap, though. He’s due $41m next year I believe. 

This is what is worrisome about the huge contracts top flight qb’s must get. Once they lose top flight status the team is in cap jail. 

9 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I had Bill run out in front of me in a crosswalk while I was in my car last year lol. The day before the home opener 😆 I was screaming and realized OH SNAP I JUST ALMOST HIT ALEX MAHONE! Good times lol 

Prison Break was an awesome, awesome show.  Two of the most unredeemable characters ever, Alex Mahone, and Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell, completely redeemed in the final season.  Bill Fichtner and Robert Knepper are two of the finest actors working today.  I love watching them in any role.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Didn't the Steelers have to beg Ben to play this season? He looked like he was ready to retire last season.

Not that I read or heard of.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The 8-8 last year was a pretty incredible job by Tomlin actually, I would say it was one of his better coaching jobs as a Head Coach. 

I didn't like the job Fitchner did this year, it was about more than the Browns game. They struggled mightily to run the ball all year and he could not work that out at all. That said, the biggest problem on offense for Pittsburgh is Ben and his line are old, slow and in Ben's case I think half checked out. 

The DC Keith Butler had a solid year but I think his limitations were shown too because when he lost star players he demonstrated no ability to adjust around their loss. 

It might be close to hard reset time in Pittsburgh but if Mike Tomlin became available and wanted to coach he would be in a job within a week. I have no doubt about that. 

Mike Tomlin is overrated.  The team looks disinterested most of the time and so does Tomlin.  He was a good coach for a long time.  But what's he been there 14 years now.  The message gets stale after that long in most programs coming from the same guy.  (Two exceptions are Nick Saban and Bill Belichik)   Even in Philly w Andy Reid it was time for a change.  He regained his mojo in KC.  Tomlin's team gave up almost 50 points to a division rival that had not won a playoff game since before the coming of Jesus Christ.  So they blame the OC??  Wow.  The Steelers are an overrated franchise because they do things the "Steeler Way".  HIring 3 coaches since 1969.  That may have worked in the Chuck Noll era.  But not in the modern world of professional football.  At least the Eagles got it right getting rid of Doug the slug Pederson.  

18 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Depends how they’re structured, but I hear you. 

The Steelers have a bit done what New England did at the end which is kick the can and load up. That in my view is the way to do it when you have an obvious franchise guy coming to the end. It worked better for New England though, they got championships out of it. 

Just now, Paup 1995MVP said:

Mike Tomlin is overrated.  The team looks disinterested most of the time and so does Tomlin.  He was a good coach for a long time.  But what's he been there 14 years now.  The message gets stale after that long in most programs coming from the same guy.  (Two exceptions are Nick Saban and Bill Belichik)   Even in Philly w Andy Reid it was time for a change.  He regained his mojo in KC.  Tomlin's team gave up almost 50 points to a division rival that had not won a playoff game since before the coming of Jesus Christ.  So they blame the OC??  Wow.  The Steelers are an overrated franchise because they do things the "Steeler Way".  HIring 3 coaches since 1969.  That may have worked in the Chuck Noll era.  But not in the modern world of professional football.  At least the Eagles got it right getting rid of Doug the slug Pederson.  

Depends how you "rate him" but he has never had a losing season as a Head Coach. I don't think Tomlin is an elite coach, if people do then he is overrated, but he isn't some bum either. And they haven't blamed the OC for one game. That is not what is going on here. The OC has carried the can for an offense that has really struggled most of the way down the stretch. Personally I think Ben is as much part of that problem as anyone, but Fitchner, Tomlin, Butler... they all have blame to take too. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

He's a vastly overrated coach imo.  His super bowl win - Avoided manning in the playoffs (played chargers and ravens), and it was the year brady tore his ACL.  2010 they made it to the super bowl, and guess who they avoided again... manning and brady.  This time it was ravens and jets.  

Hell, his last 3 playoff wins are against miami (that 2016 gase playoff team that was bad on o and d and somehow made it), cincy (aj mccarron), and KC (pre-mahomes) - those are the 3 playoff wins since 2011.  Losses to Ravens, Broncos, Patriots, Jags, Browns.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Steelers have a bit done what New England did at the end which is kick the can and load up. That in my view is the way to do it when you have an obvious franchise guy coming to the end. It worked better for New England though, they got championships out of it. 

Depends how you "rate him" but he has never had a losing season as a Head Coach. I don't think Tomlin is an elite coach, if people do then he is overrated, but he isn't some bum either. And they haven't blamed the OC for one game. That is not what is going on here. The OC has carried the can for an offense that has really struggled most of the way down the stretch. Personally I think Ben is as much part of that problem as anyone, but Fitchner, Tomlin, Butler... they all have blame to take too. 

3 playoff wins since arians left, and i outlined them.  Playoffs in 5 of 9 years, 3 total playoff wins.  Never beat manning or brady in the playoffs.  So for basically the 15 years coaching, it was patriots colts and later denver that you had to beat - and he has 0 playoff wins over those guys.

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

About time. He was reason no. 1 why they were so awful. The offense looked a million times better when they go no huddle and Ben just calls his own plays.

Fichtner always reminded me of a state department bureaucrat. He was the under-secretary to Guam, and slowly got promoted through the ranks and found himself to be Secretary of State through the sheer machinations of organizational restructuring and bureaucracy. 

I thought Big Ben hand-picked him

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed. It’ll really hurt their cap, though. He’s due $41m next year I believe. 

According to Spotrac, his contract is $42 million but his dead Cap hit is ~$22 million, meaning a savings of about $20 million....that's a lot of green to be spent on O-line...

• Like (+1) 1