Steelers Fire OC Randy Fichtner

YoloinOhio

About time. He was reason no. 1 why they were so awful. The offense looked a million times better when they go no huddle and Ben just calls his own plays.

Fichtner always reminded me of a state department bureaucrat. He was the under-secretary to Guam, and slowly got promoted through the ranks and found himself to be Secretary of State through the sheer machinations of organizational restructuring and bureaucracy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Maybe a fall guy, but I think the future is pounding on the Steelers front door, and that future doesn’t include Ben. Time to turn the page in Pittsburgh. Jmo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, wjag said:

Someone needed to be sacrificed to the football gods.

Of course it won't be the HC and his gutless 4th down call..

Or the DC who gave up 48 points to the Browns... the Steelers came back to score 37 points with Ben throwing 68 times for 501 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs. So, it was all the OC's fault. 

Like in Miami when the Bills beat them by 56 in week 17.  So Chan Gailey gets the nudge out the door. 

The HC lost control of A Brown, L Bell in the past and now Juju is dancing on opponents field emblems before games. Lets fire the OC tho.

Think about one thing, HC Tomlin has had Big Ben his entire tenure as Steelers HC and look what happened last season when he didn't have him...

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 4

There are worse offensive coordinators in the league.  The bigger issue is the talent just isnt very good anymore.   A majority of the offensive line is old, the runningbacks arent world beaters which is compounded by the bad oline play.   Their wideouts are only average, and the one real dynamic talent they have Diontae Johnson cant hold onto the ball.   More than anything they have a guy at Quarterback who cant move anymore.  

They really need to hit the reset on the entire thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-part-ways-with-offensive-coordinator-randy-fichtner-two-other-assistant-coaches/

The Pittsburgh Steelers will not renew the contracts of offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner, offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett and defensive backs coach Tom Bradley, the team announced on Thursday. 

48 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Maybe a fall guy, but I think the future is pounding on the Steelers front door, and that future doesn’t include Ben. Time to turn the page in Pittsburgh. Jmo

Didn't the Steelers have to beg Ben to play this season? He looked like he was ready to retire last season.

43 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Or the DC who gave up 48 points to the Browns... the Steelers came back to score 37 points with Ben throwing 68 times for 501 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs. So, it was all the OC's fault. 

Like in Miami when the Bills beat them by 56 in week 17.  So Chan Gailey gets the nudge out the door. 

The HC lost control of A Brown, L Bell in the past and now Juju is dancing on opponents field emblems before games. Lets fire the OC tho.

Think about one thing, HC Tomlin has had Big Ben his entire tenure as Steelers HC and look what happened last season when he didn't have him...

The 8-8 last year was a pretty incredible job by Tomlin actually, I would say it was one of his better coaching jobs as a Head Coach. 

I didn't like the job Fitchner did this year, it was about more than the Browns game. They struggled mightily to run the ball all year and he could not work that out at all. That said, the biggest problem on offense for Pittsburgh is Ben and his line are old, slow and in Ben's case I think half checked out. 

The DC Keith Butler had a solid year but I think his limitations were shown too because when he lost star players he demonstrated no ability to adjust around their loss. 

It might be close to hard reset time in Pittsburgh but if Mike Tomlin became available and wanted to coach he would be in a job within a week. I have no doubt about that. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting given he was Ben’s choice 

this is really the most interesting part, and there are many interesting parts.  Ben is a big crybaby when he doesn't have the OC he wants, who does things the way he wants, even if the results are good.  This means that either Ben and Fichtner had a rift, or the Steelers are telling Ben it's no longer "your" team.