The Lamar Jackson effect, will it make a difference?

8 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I see so many talking heads calling for the Ravens to win and the only reason why is because of Lamar.  Is he that good?  If the Ravens had anyone other than him would they still be favored?  I just find it interesting that everyone now all of sudden thinks it's so easy to stop Josh Allen but Lamar Jackson is going to be superman.  I'm not saying it won't be hard but he is not a prolific passer so I think you make him one dimensional and the DBs can do their job it will be a win.  Heck the Titans only gave up 2 TDs to them and I feel our defense should be better if Milano can find his footing lol

I can't speak for the Talking Heads. 

But if the Ravens win, IMO, the reason will be their defense.  They do have the #2 defense in the league on points allowed.

We, on the other hand, have the #2 offense in the league on points scored, #3 in passing yards

That's the battle IMO, strength against strength

OTOH, the Ravens have the #1 rushing offense in football.  Our rushing D is #17 in yards, #24 in YPA, which looks like a huge mismatch and may be the reason why so many are predicting the Ravens to win.  Not just Lamar, but the mismatch between Lamar/Dobbins/"the Gus Bus" and our run D.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But if the Ravens win, IMO, the reason will be their defense.  They do have the #2 defense in the league on points allowed.

We, on the other hand, have the #2 offense in the league on points scored, #3 in passing yards

OTOH, the Ravens have the #1 rushing offense in football.  Our rushing D is #17 in yards, #24 in YPA, which looks like a huge mismatch and may be the reason why so many are predicting the Ravens to win.  Not just Lamar, but the mismatch between Lamar/Dobbins/"the Gus Bus" and our run D.

First half battle will be interesting...Bills are both the #2 scoring offense and #2 scoring defense in the first half.

Ravens are the #3 scoring offense and #1 scoring defense in the first half.

1 hour ago, Stads said:

Mike Schopp is in love with Lamar Jackson. Currently listening to WGR and Schopp says Lamar has a better chance for long term success than Josh. Schopp has loved Lamar since he had him on many of his 75 fantasy teams

Mike Schopp is definitely an energy vampire. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stads said:

Mike Schopp is in love with Lamar Jackson. Currently listening to WGR and Schopp says Lamar has a better chance for long term success than Josh. Schopp has loved Lamar since he had him on many of his 75 fantasy teams

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Umm...might be the worst take he ever had. 

Can you impeach a radio host? 🤔

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Forgot about that. So they played good in the last two minutes of each half.  The rest of the game, they were pretty porous.  

Do you intend this as an "eye roll moment" to people reading it, or is this just a symptom you either don't watch the games, or don't understand what you see?

We held the Colts to 55 yds rushing in the first half.  Their drive sequence was Punt...FG...Punt..TD..Downs

Considering our offense played backed up in its own endzone on 4 of 5 first half drives (and only from the 15 yd line on the 5th) resulting in 3 punts and a 2:1 TOP advantage, while the Colts started within a 1st down of Bills territory on 2 drives (Punt and TOD) that's pretty damned stout defense all first half.

Let's hope for a far better showing from ST tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Stads said:

Schopp has no understanding if the game beyond fantasy, which he equates with knowledge and understanding.  It is not.  His opinions about football cannot be taken seriously, unless you are looking for advice on constructing your fantasy team.   

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree. If the Ravens win, it will be because of their defense, not their offense.  This was the case in the December 2019 game and is even more so now.  The Bills, however, are not the Titans, or the Jaguars, or the Bengals, etc.  their defense will hold up much better against the Roman running machine, and Allen is not the same QB that the Ravens intimidated last year, and the Bills weapons are better.  

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you intend this as an "eye roll moment" to people reading it, or is this just a symptom you either don't watch the games, or don't understand what you see?

We held the Colts to 55 yds rushing in the first half.  Their drive sequence was Punt...FG...Punt..TD..Downs

Considering our offense played backed up in its own endzone on 4 of 5 first half drives (and only from the 15 yd line on the 5th) resulting in 3 punts and a 2:1 TOP advantage, while the Colts started within a 1st down of Bills territory on 2 drives (Punt and TOD) that's pretty damned stout defense all first half.

Let's hope for a far better showing from ST tomorrow.

I did watch the game and I'm just remembering my impressions.  The first half we did play well, but it's the second half I recall most clearly, particularly when we got up by 14 and then let them score on their next two drives.  As I recall, they scored rather quickly as well.  We held Taylor in check, but not Hines.

9 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I just watched 15 minutes of Lamar on GMF and it was all his running highlights from last game. 

It makes him a threat no doubt. We have to respect that and our players can’t break from their assignments. 

Somehow I hope our D can force or dare him to beat us with his arm. Show me he has become a passer who can go toe to toe with 17.

Everyone knows he can’t do that even more so his on coaches that’s why he said I got to listen to my feet more. The problem is no one has stopped him lately there playing good defense and running the ball that’s it and there not hiding it. There saying if you want to beat us stop the run we all saw what happens when he try’s to be something he ant it goes bad quick. And the coach’s know it there trying everything to win a ring now because I think Lamar has about 3 more years playing like he does it’s not something you can play for ten years. A running QB has a short window at least I think. Now Allen on the other hand 10/15 years of great football. 

• Like (+1) 1

The key is to score enough that Lamar has to be a passer. It’s hard to do but the Chiefs have done it three times now. There is a blueprint to beat the Ravens. Making some big plays early in the game and forcing them out of their game script is going to be key. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Schopp has no understanding if the game beyond fantasy, which he equates with knowledge and understanding.  It is not.  His opinions about football cannot be taken seriously, unless you are looking for advice on constructing your fantasy team.   

He literally spent a segment, last year, stating that it is a legitimate question as to whether a team would rather build around Minshew or Allen. 

I still remember that because it was when I first discovered the Radio.com app and was dumbfounded for a good 20 minutes about the nonsense I just heard.  

Also, the whole “do you have any questions for us?” thing he does to their guests is so awkward.  

10 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Looking at the ravens schedule, I think their second cleveland game will most closely resemble how our game will transpire. Wide open. watch the highlights. 

Thanks for this reminder and pov. Made me look at other Ravens (specifically LJ) tape. Not All22, cuz who has the time?

But, IMHO, 3 things literally scream from the review:

1. LJ is a great RO (not RPO per se) decision-maker. No need to say more re his athletic danger.

2. Pains me to say but, ya know, speak truth to power: LJ is astoundingly poor at 2nd/3rd order reads. First not there, he tries to run, w not always the best of results (yes, I am over-generalizing). But the "read factor" is demonstrable time and time again. Hell, I was squinting to find a time he even looked off a safety.

Totally agree w point made by @Big Blitz . This is a deeply troublesome lack of QB-ing progress. Very different from our Boy Blue.

3. If a dumb-ass like me can see this, then clearly BOTH teams know this.

Harbaugh/staff are clever and smart. Ditto our boys.

The key then: taking away LJ's genius in RO, and shutting down his 1st read.

Solution: how should I know? I'm just another putz who posts once in a while.

5 hours ago, Stads said:

Never forget:

Incomprehensible!!!

That's your local prime time sports talk host for you.  Still to this day you can sense (he ain't the only one there either) that would rather be right then the team and QB succeed and be wrong.  

The goal posts on Allen have gone from......"bust.....hero ball....turnovers.  Ok he cut those down but...where are the 300 yard games?  Not enough points.  Still hero ball and some turnovers....ok he is showing some improvement but he choked in the playoff game.  All the bad was there see I TOLD YOU SO."

They spend the whole off season:

"Will Allen show enough to even BE THE QB BEYOND 2020!"  There were legit stories like this they discussed.  So this season is huuuuuge.  What will happen?"

Josh Allen:

*Has an MVP season...5000 total yards....46 TDs....wins a playoff game.*

Schopp:

"OK but is this sustainable??"  

He can gtfo 

• Agree 1

On 1/14/2021 at 8:48 AM, Crow-Magnon said:

There are quite a few NFL QB’s who can run. You should know. Allen is one. Murray is one. But Lamar is a QB who is an integral part of the rushing attack (designed runs) as well as a serious threat to get big yards when he takes off out of the pocket when coverages open big holes for him to exploit (like his TD run against the Titans). He is a threat to run at any time and has the speed to escape anyone on the field if he has space to accelerate. 

The Ravens have built their offense around Jackson’s skill set. It would have been easy to let him run while trying to set him up as a typical pocket passer, but with foresight the Ravens decided to build an offense around Lamar’s unique talents. To be honest, I was skeptical. Yeah, he took over from Flacco in a down 2018 and took Baltimore to the post-season, but showed last year he could win games (his W-L record as a starter proves that). Even without the MVP honors, he proved he was a winner. And he has this year as well. Even with getting COVID-19 he bounced back and ended 2020 at 11-5. 

All Jackson wants to do is win. He does not care about personal stats like total pass yardage, TD passes or being the only QB who has rushed for over 1,000 yards twice. All he wants is a ring. His fellow Ravens love him because he is all about the “team”. He actually appears to be a polite and humble young man. 

He's a very good QB in terms of combined production passing and rushing. 

75.1 ypg passing, 43.4 ypg rushing, 118.5 total yards per game, 11 Total TDs in 7 games. 

208.5 ypg passing, 80.4 ypg rushing, 288.9 total yards per game, 43 Total TD's

183.8 ypg passing, 67.0 ypg rushing, 250.4 total yards per game, 33 Total TD's. 

So he is a Top 10 QB. But yards are yards, touchdowns are touchdowns, Rodgers had 51 TDs this year combined (and 5 Interceptions!), Allen had 45 TDs, Brady had 43, Wilson had 42, Herbert had 36, Mahomes had 40 and 309 ypg passing. 

So he's not putting up historical numbers other than rushing yards specifically. 

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He's a very good QB in terms of combined production passing and rushing. 

75.1 ypg passing, 43.4 ypg rushing, 118.5 total yards per game, 11 Total TDs in 7 games. 

208.5 ypg passing, 80.4 ypg rushing, 288.9 total yards per game, 43 Total TD's

183.8 ypg passing, 67.0 ypg rushing, 250.4 total yards per game, 33 Total TD's. 

So he is a Top 10 QB. But yards are yards, touchdowns are touchdowns, Rodgers had 51 TDs this year combined (and 5 Interceptions!), Allen had 45 TDs, Brady had 43, Wilson had 42, Herbert had 36, Mahomes had 40 and 309 ypg passing. 

So he's not putting up historical numbers other than rushing yards specifically. 

Vs. Allen 310.3/game (passing & rushing)....    

Lamar is being lauded for his outstanding Titans performance. Electrifying, outstanding, dynamic, all those words getting thrown out there.

In the end?

315 total yards, 1 TD, 1 Int. 

And his defense held the bar at 13 total points to clear. 

Allen was 324 Passing, 54 Rushing and 3 TDs. 

Lamar is awesome for the Ravens style and system, but other than the rushing yardage, there is nothing he is doing that beats out the other top QBs in this league. He is not rewriting history books. He's not. 

And we're a little too early in a QB's life cycle to only look at his win-loss record and conclude it will stay that way forever. The pundits thought Seattle was going to be a dynasty.