The Lamar Jackson effect, will it make a difference?

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I still can't believe that punt in the titans game.  I think everyone thinks lamar was struggling because of the pressure of winning his first playoff game and now he will absolutely go off but I think he's just been struggling in the playoffs because he's playing the best teams in the conference 

He plays very well against bad teams.....

14 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Looking at the ravens schedule, I think their second cleveland game will most closely resemble how our game will transpire. Wide open. watch the highlights. 

Yep his best game ever in almost every aspect.  I think that's a reach.

Also Cleveland's defense has been torched a # of times this year. 

All this Lamar talk is starting to get a bit annoying. That and how the Ravens are just the hottest team having now won six in a row. Thing is you need to go back and look at the five teams they played during that five game win streak to finish the season. Half the NFC Least, Cinn, Jax and Clev. Cleveland was the only team with a winning record and the Ravens won in a shootout with both teams scoring 40+. IMO not exactly a bell ringer feat. The Bills winning streak was longer and against stronger opposition.

The Baltimore win at Tenn was a good win, they only managed 20 points against a porous defense. Lamar had one hilite reel play on the 48 yard TD, but other than that was hardly the game changer everyone wants to brag him up to be.

If they think they can come to Buffalo and win putting up 20 points I think they will have a rude awakening. Their defense is decent, but they haven’t played an offense as good as the Bills maybe all year.

Should be a good game, but if one team is going to dominate my money is on Buffalo.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Facts:

1 - Titans were blown out by Greenbay 40 - 14 in Week 16

2 - TItans should have lost to Houston (a bad team) week 17.

3 - Ravens have beat the following teams leading into the playoffs - Giants, Bengals, Jaguars.

4 - Ravens beat Tennessee 20 - 13 because of ONE run by Lamar Jackson.

Lamar Jackson will be contained by the Bills this weekend, and unfortunately for Lamar, the narrative will continue that he still needs to develop a larger passing threat for the Ravens to be true contenders.

LETS. GO. BUFFALO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I've been saying this since Cleveland won Sunday night, that this week would be a complete Lamar slobfest leading up to the game. All over the place everyone is talking about the Ravens are the most dangerous team in the playoffs, the vaunted defense they have, Lamar is basically unstoppable, blah, blah, blah. PFT, Undisputed, First Take, First Things First, GMFB, all of them quick to jump the Ravens hype train. I could go pull YouTube videos from all of them right now drooling over Jackson and the vast majority of them slighting Allen BECAUSE OF ONE PLAY. They talk about Lamar's 179 passing with one INT and 136 rushing with 1 TD like it is greater than Allen who completed 74% of his passes for 324 with 2 TD's, NO PICKS, and another 54 rushing with a TD. Josh accounted for more yards, more total TD's, and against a better defense WITH NO TURNOVERS. They all keep talking about the one play he didn't go down. "Same old Josh Allen", "He could have lost the game", "The Bills were totally outplayed", "His mistakes are going to cost them against Baltimore", blah, blah, blah. Josh carried us against the most complete team in the playoffs last week, got the W, and here we stand with another home game Saturday night looking for a berth in the AFC Title game. Like I have said in other threads, I hope our guys show up on that field Saturday night TOTALLY pissed off and take it out on Baltimore. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

I've been saying this since Cleveland won Sunday night, that this week would be a complete Lamar slobfest leading up to the game. All over the place everyone is talking about the Ravens are the most dangerous team in the playoffs, the vaunted defense they have, Lamar is basically unstoppable, blah, blah, blah. PFT, Undisputed, First Take, First Things First, GMFB, all of them quick to jump the Ravens hype train. I could go pull YouTube videos from all of them right now drooling over Jackson and the vast majority of them slighting Allen BECAUSE OF ONE PLAY. They talk about Lamar's 179 passing with one INT and 136 rushing with 1 TD like it is greater than Allen who completed 74% of his passes for 324 with 2 TD's, NO PICKS, and another 54 rushing with a TD. Josh accounted for more yards, more total TD's, and against a better defense WITH NO TURNOVERS. They all keep talking about the one play he didn't go down. "Same old Josh Allen", "He could have lost the game", "The Bills were totally outplayed", "His mistakes are going to cost them against Baltimore", blah, blah, blah. Josh carried us against the most complete team in the playoffs last week, got the W, and here we stand with another home game Saturday night looking for a berth in the AFC Title game. Like I have said in other threads, I hope our guys show up on that field Saturday night TOTALLY pissed off and take it out on Baltimore. 

Exactly right.  And actually a good thing imo.

If Buffalo blew out (or convincing win) vs. Indy, I would be more worried.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Are you a Raven's fan?  I don't dislike Lamar, but this week is predominantly focused on Lamar, because he finally came back in a game and that 48 yard run (and later one to ice the game).

However the Titans are not a good defensive team, Vrabel turtled with 5 minutes to go 0n fourth & 2 at the Ravens 48, and refused to mix it up and watched Henry run into a brick wall over & over.

All the while again Lamar put up only 20 points.

They may win, however they certainly are setting up the narrative to crow about it.  If the Ravens lose I doubt it will be about Lamar, regardless as I expect 30 points+ from Buffalo as long as weather is not a factor.

Yes, I am a Ravens fan! 

Were the Titans good defensively? Not as good as last year, but they weren’t really great last year, either. The Ravens ended 2019 at 14-2 and ended their season with a lackluster performance against the Titans. Why? Well, sometimes it simply the defensive scheme is such that the offense just never gets in rhythm. Sometimes it’s because the other team’s offense takes over and controls the game (aka Derrick Henry). So the Ravens put stock in the DL with Campbell and Wolfe to compliment Williams to ensure they could stop big, bruising backs like Henry and Chubb. Most of the year was up and down. COVID, injuries, lack of true OTA’s and camp...it took a while for the DL to gel. And that they did last week. They stuffed Henry and made him a non-factor. But what about the Titans passing attack?

Well, it looked good in the first quarter. Tennessee was up 10-0 in the first 15 minutes and to be frank, I was starting to sweat a bit. I saw shades of 2019. But the HC and the OC/DC didn’t sweat. Knowing that the play-action was no longer a factor with Henry gaining no yardage to speak of, the Ravens secondary switched from mostly man-to-man to zone defense, and that change only gave up 3 points in three quarters. 

Yes, Vrabel took the “safe” route and his call to punt may have cost them the game. Maybe not, but it sure took the ball out of the Titans’ offense’s hands. 

So who knows what will happen Saturday night? Does Buffalo shut down the Ravens rushing attack and force Jackson to pass? Do the Ravens get to Allen and cover the Bills receivers tight and take away the big play and scoring opportunities? Maybe. Maybe Jackson runs for 145 yards and two TD’s and Allen throws for 345 yards and three scores and the final is 45-42, wither either team getting the W. All those scenarios are possible IMO. 

Edited by Crow-Magnon
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Crow-Magnon said:

Yes, I am a Ravens fan! 

Were the Titans good defensively? Not as good as last year, but they weren’t really great last year, either. The Ravens ended 2019 at 14-2 and ended their season with a lackluster performance against the Titans. Why? Well, sometimes it simply the defensive scheme is such that the offense just never gets in rhythm. Sometimes it’s because the other team’s offense takes over and controls the game (aka Derrick Henry). So the Ravens put stock in the DL with Campbell and Wolfe to compliment Williams to ensure they could stop big, bruising backs like Henry and Chubb. Most of the year was up and down. COVID, injuries, lack of true OTA’s and camp...it took a while for the DL to gel. And that they did last week. They stuffed Henry and made him a non-factor. But what about the Titans passing attack?

Well, it looked good in the first quarter. Tennessee was up 10-0 in the first 15 minutes and to be frank, I was starting to sweat a bit. I saw shades of 2019. But the HC and the OC/DC didn’t sweat. Knowing that the play-action was no longer a factor with Henry gaining no yardage to speak of, the Ravens secondary switched from mostly man-to-man to zone defense, and that change only gave up 3 points in three quarters. 

Yes, Vrabel took the “safe” route and his call to punt may have cost them the game. Maybe not, but it sure took the ball out of the Titans’ offense’s hands. 

So who knows what will happen Saturday night? Does Buffalo shut down the Ravens rushing attack and force Jackson to pass? Do the Ravens get to Allen and cover the Bills receivers tight and take away the big play and scoring opportunities? Maybe. Maybe Jackson runs for 145 yards and two TD’s and Allen throws for 345 yards and three scores and the final is 45-42, wither either team getting the W. All those scenarios are possible IMO. 

Fair enough. I just was confirming based on your write-up. Nothing wrong with being a fan and looking for all the positives like many of us bills fans have done for how many years?

12 minutes ago, Crow-Magnon said:

Yes, I am a Ravens fan! 

Were the Titans good defensively? Not as good as last year, but they were really great last year, either. The Ravens ended 2019 at 14-2 and ended their season with a lackluster performance against the Titans. Why? Well, sometimes it simply the defensive scheme is such that the offense just never gets in rhythm. Sometimes it’s because the other team’s offense takes over and controls the game (aka Derrick Henry). So the Ravens put stock in the DL with Campbell and Wolfe to compliment Williams to ensure they could stop big, bruising backs like Henry and Chubb. Most of the year was up and down. COVID, injuries, lack of true OTA’s and camp...it took a while for the DL to gel. And that they did last week. They stuffed Henry and made him a non-factor. But what about the Titans passing attack?

Welcome to the board. May the best team win Saturday night. :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Fair enough. I just was confirming based on your write-up. Nothing wrong with being a fan and looking for all the positives like many of us bills fans have done for how many years?

Yeah, you’ve had a a tough road to hoe these many years. Regardless of what happens Saturday, I think the Bills have a bright future ahead. The Pats Reign of Terror is over lol. 

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

Welcome to the board. May the best team win Saturday night. :thumbsup:

It should be the best game this weekend. Although if Collingsworth jinxes Tucker again I’ll scream. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

If Lamar doesn't have that defense he's a .500 QB that hasn't made the playoffs.  

Maybe it's the system.  He's averaged 20 passes the last 6 games?  For 3 years this team has obliterated teams on the ground and with a ridiculously good defense.

I've seen zero progression in his ability as a passer from last year to this year.  It's not that I think he's bad.  He's just a taller version of Murray but I don’t think as accurate.  Almost everything he's able to get is because he's a freak athlete.  Not an elite or even top 20 passer.  

So if he can run like this for 5 plus years they'll be fine.  I have questions tho once their defense is no longer elite and it's time to discuss his contract.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

For 3 years this team has obliterated teams on the ground and with a ridiculously good defense.

I have to take issue with this. I would not label the Ravens defense as “ridiculously good”. It’s a good defense, better than most. I don’t think any NFL team in 2020 has a defense I would call ridiculously good. And I’ve seen some good defenses! 

If the DL and LB’s do their job against the run and pressuring the QB, the secondary can look great. But if a QB has time or the play-action is working, this secondary can give up the big play. Especially if Jimmy Smith is out injured, which is frequent. 

5 minutes ago, Crow-Magnon said:

I have to take issue with this. I would not label the Ravens defense as “ridiculously good”. It’s a good defense, better than most. I don’t think any NFL team in 2020 has a defense I would call ridiculously good. And I’ve seen some good defenses! 

If the DL and LB’s do their job against the run and pressuring the QB, the secondary can look great. But if a QB has time or the play-action is working, this secondary can give up the big play. Especially if Jimmy Smith is out injured, which is frequent. 

I've always said when healthy it's the best D in the league and it's not even close.  

They've been hurt and infected with Covid a good chunk of the year and have only allowed 220 yards passing a week and only 18 points a game.   

In 2020.  When scoring is up.  18 points a game.  I think they were hurt by no pre season to they had new guys on that D that had to get acclimated.  

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I've always said when healthy it's the best D in the league and it's not even close.  

They've been hurt and infected with Covid a good chunk of the year and have only allowed 220 yards passing a week and only 18 points a game.   

In 2020.  When scoring is up.  18 points a game.  I think they were hurt by no pre season to they had new guys on that D that had to get acclimated.  

I get that. But...are you (or the Bills) afraid to face the Ravens defense? No. But I’ve seen defenses that other teams were not to keen to play lol. Rule changes have put the kibosh on what a really good defense can do anymore. 

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

is the league mvp from last year that good? 

yeah, he’s pretty good. He is the absolute best athlete on the field when he’s out there.

And no if they had joe Flacco at QB they would not be as good of a team. 

Hasn't looked unstoppable this year

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I see so many talking heads calling for the Ravens to win and the only reason why is because of Lamar.  Is he that good?  If the Ravens had anyone other than him would they still be favored?  I just find it interesting that everyone now all of sudden thinks it's so easy to stop Josh Allen but Lamar Jackson is going to be superman.  I'm not saying it won't be hard but he is not a prolific passer so I think you make him one dimensional and the DBs can do their job it will be a win.  Heck the Titans only gave up 2 TDs to them and I feel our defense should be better if Milano can find his footing lol

Yes, he's that good.  He can take over the game single handedly.

He carried his team on his back last week just as much as Josh Allen carried the Bills on his.

Without Allen, no way in the world we win that game last week.

The Bills need to try to and contain him somewhat, but a better plan is to out-offense him.

You can't totally shut him down anyway.

My concern is how much respect the refs give Lamar.

I worry about the Buffalo defense being too over enthusiastic and maybe a roughing the passer call or two.

Play within themselves and make Jackson throw outside and I don't think the Ravens can score 30 points.

4 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

It’s not just Lamar. The Ravens are a good team overall. And one could argue they would still be a good team without Lamar because they’d get some more use out of skill position players like Brown and Andrews and maybe Boykins career would have taken off a bit more as well..and their defense is excellent and will be a tougher test than the Colts. 

If you’re speaking just about the defense, I don’t know if it’ll be a tougher test, just a completely different test. That was a rough defense the Bills just faced. I do think that overall the game could be tougher-unless the Bills can jump out to an early lead...I have more faith that Rivers could lead back the Colts than I do in Lamar leading back the Ravens 

Unless you want to count the Steelers and Titans.  They haven't been challenged by WRs and a passing game remotely close to this since that Chiefs game in week 3.  Rivers in week 9.  

The rest have been total trash.

Still, that secondary is elite and you just can't run at all on the front 7.

They just held Henry 2K to nothing. 

I'm sure Singletary and Yeldon will get.....carries.