The Lamar Jackson effect, will it make a difference?

I see so many talking heads calling for the Ravens to win and the only reason why is because of Lamar.  Is he that good?  If the Ravens had anyone other than him would they still be favored?  I just find it interesting that everyone now all of sudden thinks it's so easy to stop Josh Allen but Lamar Jackson is going to be superman.  I'm not saying it won't be hard but he is not a prolific passer so I think you make him one dimensional and the DBs can do their job it will be a win.  Heck the Titans only gave up 2 TDs to them and I feel our defense should be better if Milano can find his footing lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just watched 15 minutes of Lamar on GMF and it was all his running highlights from last game. 

It makes him a threat no doubt. We have to respect that and our players can’t break from their assignments. 

Somehow I hope our D can force or dare him to beat us with his arm. Show me he has become a passer who can go toe to toe with 17.

It’s not just Lamar. The Ravens are a good team overall. And one could argue they would still be a good team without Lamar because they’d get some more use out of skill position players like Brown and Andrews and maybe Boykins career would have taken off a bit more as well..and their defense is excellent and will be a tougher test than the Colts. 

• Like (+1) 3

The media have a new narrative for this game: "Lamar has never played in snow". If you watch some of these segments you can see they're setting him up to be the hero if it does snow and they win. Even if there's just a small amount of snow falling, it'll be "Lamar out-Buffaloed Buffalo!" "Bufflo chose Allen for these conditions but Lamar was the one who mastered them!"

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I see so many talking heads calling for the Ravens to win and the only reason why is because of Lamar.  Is he that good?  If the Ravens had anyone other than him would they still be favored?  I just find it interesting that everyone now all of sudden thinks it's so easy to stop Josh Allen but Lamar Jackson is going to be superman.  I'm not saying it won't be hard but he is not a prolific passer so I think you make him one dimensional and the DBs can do their job it will be a win.  Heck the Titans only gave up 2 TDs to them and I feel our defense should be better if Milano can find his footing lol

He has the ability to take over a game - and i'd consider him the only player on their offense with the capability of doing so.  

To me though, its at least as likely that their defense plays well and limits the buffalo offense.  Lot of talent in that unit and they're healthy.  

There are quite a few NFL QB’s who can run. You should know. Allen is one. Murray is one. But Lamar is a QB who is an integral part of the rushing attack (designed runs) as well as a serious threat to get big yards when he takes off out of the pocket when coverages open big holes for him to exploit (like his TD run against the Titans). He is a threat to run at any time and has the speed to escape anyone on the field if he has space to accelerate. 

The Ravens have built their offense around Jackson’s skill set. It would have been easy to let him run while trying to set him up as a typical pocket passer, but with foresight the Ravens decided to build an offense around Lamar’s unique talents. To be honest, I was skeptical. Yeah, he took over from Flacco in a down 2018 and took Baltimore to the post-season, but showed last year he could win games (his W-L record as a starter proves that). Even without the MVP honors, he proved he was a winner. And he has this year as well. Even with getting COVID-19 he bounced back and ended 2020 at 11-5. 

All Jackson wants to do is win. He does not care about personal stats like total pass yardage, TD passes or being the only QB who has rushed for over 1,000 yards twice. All he wants is a ring. His fellow Ravens love him because he is all about the “team”. He actually appears to be a polite and humble young man. 

Edited by Crow-Magnon
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

It’s not just Lamar. The Ravens are a good team overall. And one could argue they would still be a good team without Lamar because they’d get some more use out of skill position players like Brown and Andrews and maybe Boykins career would have taken off a bit more as well..and their defense is excellent and will be a tougher test than the Colts

Not so sure about this!

Lamar cannot throw outside the numbers.  Stop the run, cover the middle, and their offense is then stagnant.  They should be worried about the Josh Allen affect as he is a much more prolific passer all over the field and still has the tuck and run ability when needed. 

It’s no surprise that the Bills are playing really good teams in the AFC playoffs this year. We all knew that would be the case, unless somebody got injured or Covid struck our opponent. But...the Bills were 13-3 this year playing against really good opponents. It’s hard for our fan base to get used to that reality....me included.

• Like (+1) 4

Lamar can definitly take over a game, just like Allen can take over a game.

The big difference in this game will be all about the Ds. 

Can the Bills D force Lamar be a passer and will they stop them if thats the case?

Can the Ravens D force the Bills to run the ball and will they be able to stop the run or short passing game if thats the case?

Thats why I didn´t want it to be a snow game, unfortunatly it affects the Bills a bit more. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I just watched 15 minutes of Lamar on GMF and it was all his running highlights from last game. 

It makes him a threat no doubt. We have to respect that and our players can’t break from their assignments. 

Somehow I hope our D can force or dare him to beat us with his arm. Show me he has become a passer who can go toe to toe with 17.

Right the game that everyone on TV conveniently forgets to mention the Bills held him to 180 TOTAL yds....

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Exactly.  And we will throw tre on brown and dare him to throw some of those high lofters his way.  There were 2 passes last week where I was thinking Tre picks that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Lamar cannot throw outside the numbers.  Stop the run, cover the middle, and their offense is then stagnant.  They should be worried about the Josh Allen affect as he is a much more prolific passer all over the field and still has the tuck and run ability when needed. 

He literally threw outside the numbers all game against the Titans...lol. Did you not watch the game?

1 hour ago, Crow-Magnon said:

There are quite a few NFL QB’s who can run. You should know. Allen is one. Murray is one. But Lamar is a QB who is an integral part of the rushing attack (designed runs) as well as a serious threat to get big yards when he takes off out of the pocket when coverages open big holes for him to exploit (like his TD run against the Titans). He is a threat to run at any time and has the speed to escape anyone on the field if he has space to accelerate. 

The Ravens have built their offense around Jackson’s skill set. It would have been easy to let him run while trying to set him up as a typical pocket passer, but with foresight the Ravens decided to build an offense around Lamar’s unique talents. To be honest, I was skeptical. Yeah, he took over from Flacco in a down 2018 and took Baltimore to the post-season, but showed last year he could win games (his W-L record as a starter proves that). Even without the MVP honors, he proved he was a winner. And he has this year as well. Even with getting COVID-19 he bounced back and ended 2020 at 11-5. 

All Jackson wants to do is win. He does not care about personal stats like total pass yardage, TD passes or being the only QB who has rushed for over 1,000 yards twice. All he wants is a ring. His fellow Ravens love him because he is all about the “team”. He actually appears to be a polite and humble young man. 

Are you a Raven's fan?  I don't dislike Lamar, but this week is predominantly focused on Lamar, because he finally came back in a game and that 48 yard run (and later one to ice the game).

However the Titans are not a good defensive team, Vrabel turtled with 5 minutes to go 0n fourth & 2 at the Ravens 48, and refused to mix it up and watched Henry run into a brick wall over & over.

All the while again Lamar put up only 20 points.

They may win, however they certainly are setting up the narrative to crow about it.  If the Ravens lose I doubt it will be about Lamar, regardless as I expect 30 points+ from Buffalo as long as weather is not a factor.

Edited by Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

is the league mvp from last year that good? 

yeah, he’s pretty good. He is the absolute best athlete on the field when he’s out there.

And no if they had joe Flacco at QB they would not be as good of a team. 

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Are you a Raven's fan?  I don't dislike Lamar, but this week is predominantly focused on Lamar, because he finally came back in a game and that 48 yard run (and later one to ice the game).

However the Titans are not a good defensive team, Vrabel turtled with 5 minutes to go 0n fourth & 2 at the Ravens 48, and refused to mix it up and watched Henmry run into a brick wall over & over.

All the while again Lamar put up only 20 points.

They may win, however they certainly are setting up the narrative to crow about it.  If the Ravens lose I doubt it will be about Lamar, regardless as I expect 30 points+ from Buffalo as long as weather is not a factor.

I still can't believe that punt in the titans game.  I think everyone thinks lamar was struggling because of the pressure of winning his first playoff game and now he will absolutely go off but I think he's just been struggling in the playoffs because he's playing the best teams in the conference 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Looking at the ravens schedule, I think their second cleveland game will most closely resemble how our game will transpire. Wide open. watch the highlights. 

nut hopefully with the Ravens losing!