Anyone have a family recipe for kummelweck rolls?

Beerball

Not family, but.................I did it just last weekend, and not for the first time. It’s FAR better than the Anchor Bar franchise near us. 

https://www.charliethebutcher.com

I also recommend the au jus in the dry packets on the sauce aisle rather than a can of broth (thanks @plenzmd1 on that one).

Edited by Augie

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not family, but.................I did it just last weekend, and not for the first time. It’s FAR better than the Anchor Bar franchise near us. 

https://www.charliethebutcher.com

I also recommend the au jus in the dry packets on the sauce aisle rather than a can of broth (thanks @plenzmd1 on that one).

This is what I’m going with on Saturday. Pretzel salt & caraway should arrive tomorrow. I’m going to smoke the beef and use the drippings to make my own jus. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

This is what I’m going with on Saturday. Pretzel salt & caraway should arrive tomorrow. I’m going to smoke the beef and use the drippings to make my own jus. 

Awesome! Good for you, you are the better man. I used coarse kosher salt and caraway seeds from Publix and Boars Head roast beef from the deli. I must say, it was pretty awesome.

I get a bit anxious on game days, so it’s ironic that I spend so much nervous energy on food for which I have so little appetite. Late games mess up my routine!

Just win, baby! 

I just buy Kaiser rolls, brush eggs on them, sprinkle with caraway and sea salt and toss them in the oven til they crisp up a bit.

Make it the last thing you do though cuz they tend to get soggy pretty quickly.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I just buy Kaiser rolls, brush eggs on them, sprinkle with caraway and sea salt and toss them in the oven til they crisp up a bit.

Thats my routine, I will cook my own beef and slice it thin. I will use the au jus from the can (not the thick stuff in bottles) and drop the sliced beef in the au jus for a minute before serving on the rolls.

11 hours ago, Simon said:

8 hours ago, Guffalo said:

Thats my routine, I will cook my own beef and slice it thin. I will use the au jus from the can (not the thick stuff in bottles) and drop the sliced beef in the au jus for a minute before serving on the rolls.

Same here, re: the rolls.  Just made them last Saturday.

Bought a meat slicer a few weeks ago and got to use it for the first time.  Did a 3 lb. top round roast in the oven and took it out with an internal temp between 125-130.   Perfectly rare.   I used the dry packets of au jus (just add water).

This will be on the Super Bowl menu, for sure.

14 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Wegmans has them, IF, you live near one.  Not home made, or "old family" but pretty doable.

Wegmans near me in Fairfax has been hit or miss with weck rolls recently, so I've been making them myself using Kaiser rolls, caraways and kosher salt.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Beerball said:

Beef on weck for the game Saturday.  I have an online recipe I'll use, but I thought someone here might have a family recipe they wouldn't mind sharing.

I swear by allrecipes.com.  Not sure if I'd trust someone named, "Chef John," but this looks like a pretty straightforward recipe:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/240134/chef-johns-kummelweck-rolls/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.