Should we start receiving the kick off of we win the toss?

Steptide

I could be wrong, but it seems in the games where the bills started on offense (generally because the opponent deferred) the bills seemed to be more successful from the start of the game. They seem to drive right down the field and score and control the game from then on. I understand why teams defer, but the bills seem pretty successful when they start with the ball. Just a thought 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

It is a consideration, but the new doctrine is to try for the double dip starting the 2nd half, will Sean buck the trend?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Both are a gamble. Ordinarily, I like the double dip strategy. However, for this game I like the idea of building the lead early and often. Preach to the team that a Ravens possession at the end of the first half is a “for the win” possession, not a “Oh well, they scored” concession, and maybe we steal a point opportunity away from them. 

I will say, I like this coaching staff’s ability to make halftime adjustments much better than I’ve liked any previous coaching staff’s abilities in that department. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t subscribe if we win to next week, or the SB, dare I say it, but I’ve said twice. Now in other threads, absolutely this week.

Making leaps, the Chiefs can come back, and so can who potentially would be the SB opponent, but the Ravens are so much better with the lead.  I’d love to put them on their heals up front.

Why does everyone think it’s a guarantee that the bills will have the final possession of the half? Whether they do or not has nothing to do with the coin toss decision.

I think it’s always better to receive first and to get the offense in rhythm. It also helps to see how the defense is planning so you can adjust for subsequent drives.

its also a helluva lot better to play ahead. Putting the offense on the field first helps achieve that much more quickly than the defense. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Why does everyone think it’s a guarantee that the bills will have the final possession of the half? Whether they do or not has nothing to do with the coin toss decision.

I think it’s always better to receive first and to get the offense in rhythm. It also helps to see how the defense is planning so you can adjust for subsequent drives.

its also a helluva lot better to play ahead. Putting the offense on the field first helps achieve that much more quickly than the defense. 

I don't think anyone thinks its a guarantee, but its no coincidence that deferring is a standard procedure.  

42 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

I don't think anyone thinks its a guarantee, but its no coincidence that deferring is a standard procedure.  

Yup, and it makes sense.

We score more in the second half than the first. Probably because we better know what the defense is doing. Possessions in the second half are worth more to us.

More, which is a stronger psychological statement: the first half is ours, or the the second half is ours? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I could be wrong, but it seems in the games where the bills started on offense (generally because the opponent deferred) the bills seemed to be more successful from the start of the game. They seem to drive right down the field and score and control the game from then on. I understand why teams defer, but the bills seem pretty successful when they start with the ball. Just a thought 

VERY good thread to start! I like the possible double dip, but the offense is considerably better than the D. Hmmm? 🤔

Typically I like to kick and get the ball back at the half. As no matter what if you are winning or losing you always want the ball to start the next half. If you are winning you want to build on your lead, if you are down you want to have the ball to start a comeback. So no matter what the situation you want the ball to start the second half. However, with the Bills high flying offense I don't necessarily mind them puting the offense out to start the game. Mainly because the Bills defense is much better when it can pin back and force an offense to pass. 

The pass rush is better when they aren't being run on and the secondary plays better when things are one dimensional. The best way to force any team to become a one dimensional passing offense is to get out early on them. And when you put up 7 on the opening drive like the Bills have been able to do a lot times it sets the tone and it might be worth forfeiting the ball to start the second half. 

• Like (+1) 1