DEFENSE, missed tackles

JOSH HUFF

Nfl players being bad at tackling makes me angrier than just about anything in football, other than passes hitting a reciever in both hands and still being dropped.  This is the highest level of football.  You can't even make a high school team if you can't do the simple things.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo ill said:

Nfl players being bad at tackling makes me angrier than just about anything in football, other than passes hitting a reciever in both hands and still being dropped.  This is the highest level of football.  You can't even make a high school team if you can't do the simple things.

The player they are trying to tackle is ALSO an NFL player playing at the highest level

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If they brought up Dane Jackson you would not see missed tackles

Just kidding

.....but not really

beast

When you have no help behind you? You had best make the tackle.

period.

2 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Nobody is crapping on a 14-3 team.  All season the DEFENSE has been a weak link.  Especially in tackling.  The offense carried the team all season.  Now it's crunch time and we're playing equally skilled teams.  I think a lot of veterans will be gone next year from the defense.  The offense will score even with a ton of rookies on D.  Go Bills!

Bills have had very good tackling games. Miami ? we ran roughshod.
 Preaching fundamentals is always true.

last week we were sub par all around. all 3  facets.

expect a much more efficient defense against the run. just try not to get nuts when Bills get beat with Man coverage a couple times   :)

Besides the missed tackles, we need to remember the guys that bit on a fake and left their jock strap lying on the turf as they watched the runner pick up another ten yards.  This happened more times than I want to think about.  The Bills have made some pretty average RB's look like super stars.  They can't afford to play like that against Baltimore or their season will end poorly.

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Everyone! Quickly! Let’s crap on a 14-3 team!!!! They SUCK!!!!!!

Give me a break.

You are a fool if you think we are crapping on this team.  Just pointing out a weakness from the game.  Settle down all or nothing! 

The Defense played a terrible 1st half of the season, the 2nd half of the season they started playing closer to the last couple years, a top 3 rated D.   GO BILLS!!

1 hour ago, ticketssince61 said:

The player they are trying to tackle is ALSO an NFL player playing at the highest level

I get your point, however, watch the 4th and 1 and tell me if you think an average LB would have made that play.  I still think Edmunds will turn out to be a beast in the middle, just inconsistent this year.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They haven't ever been a good tackling team under McDermott........which has been one of the great oddities because they have been an efficient defense.

It's possible that having an arm tackler like Edmunds as your defensive leader might set the tone but it's almost like they are taught to slow down the ball carrier and wait for help. 

It's frustrating to watch........but being a great solo tackling team takes a physical toll.    When Xavier Rhodes took Knox down with that great solo tackle on 3rd down the other day he hurt himself.   

The problem is the 2nd wave of tacklers never comes. By the time they show up it's too late. The runner is off again. We don't swarm like we used to.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Levi might tackle better yet he still struggles in coverage. I'd be looking to replace him this off-season.

Levi is an average CB in this league opposite an all-pro. He’s gonna get the ball thrown his way. I would say he’s played above average in second half of year. Jackson is gonna be good. Always looking to upgrade but Levi is decent. Never have enough corners. 

• Like (+1) 1

They say the problem is caused by a league mandated lack of full contact in practice.  But, it seems that some teams have adjusted to those new rules better than others. The Bills tackling has been less than stellar, which generally is code-speak for not as physical as one would expect. I agree.

This topic is dead on, nothing infuriates me more than reading and reacting to the play and then missing the tackle. Edmunds does this 4-5 times a game. The other on is Poyer, always hit the runner with a shoulder. Which he must think it will knock over the runner, wrap the **** up!!! Better do it this week or we’re in trouble!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Two missed tackles is THE reason there is still this flawed perception that the Colts "ran all over us".  62 of the Colts' rushing yards came on two broken tackle runs from Hines of 29 and 33 yards while we were defending against the pass, inflating the total and averages.  We actually held Taylor to 3.7 yards per rush for the game.

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, Buffalo ill said:

Tackling nfl players = the simple things.  👍🏻

23 hours ago, JOSH HUFF said:

I get your point, however, watch the 4th and 1 and tell me if you think an average LB would have made that play.  I still think Edmunds will turn out to be a beast in the middle, just inconsistent this year.

Any given play man.  A terrible player could’ve made that tackle.  The best player in the world could’ve miss that tackle

9 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Two missed tackles is THE reason there is still this flawed perception that the Colts "ran all over us".  62 of the Colts' rushing yards came on two broken tackle runs from Hines of 29 and 33 yards while we were defending against the pass, inflating the total and averages.  We actually held Taylor to 3.7 yards per rush for the game.

The colts had 10 points to start the 4th.  They had 2/3 of their rushing yards in the 4th, most on the plays you mentioned.  Our problem the majority of the game was 3rd down passes.  Rivers was always a step ahead.  The colts did cross the 50 yard line on ever single possession.  Good field possession or not, that shouldn’t happen.  But I do agree, the hate on the D performance is a bit overkill

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

The colts had 10 points to start the 4th.  They had 2/3 of their rushing yards in the 4th, most on the plays you mentioned.  Our problem the majority of the game was 3rd down passes.  Rivers was always a step ahead.  The colts did cross the 50 yard line on ever single possession.  Good field possession or not, that shouldn’t happen.  But I do agree, the hate on the D performance is a bit overkill

This is what makes football such a strategically interesting sport. Just this past week the Bills defense prepared for a team where there was zero chance the QB would scramble or run. Now...one week later, that’s pretty much their central concern. The players and coaches need a completely different mindset. It should be interesting!

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, JOSH HUFF said:

So many missed tackles!  Edmunds has to do a better job wrapping up!  I don't know how he made the Pro Bowl this year!  The 4th and 1, Edmunds should have easily stuffed it, but somehow ends up on the ground face down looking at the RB's shoes move past him.  IT WAS BAD!!  T White also needs to tackle better.  So many times they had the Colts RB's for no gain or for a loss, but couldn't seem to hold on or plain whiff when the RB has nowhere to go.  Watch the game again and you will see a ton of missed tackles that resulted in big runs.  Someone give Edmunds a re-run of the Darius Leonard tackle on Josh Allen, that is how you wrap up!  The good thing is this can be fixed.  I think Edmunds has the potential to be a star at his position, however, this year he has been off more than on, just needs to be more consistent.

Ravens have missed even more tackles than the bills. They have two rookies at LB who are splashy and athletic  but inconsistent. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ravens have missed even more tackles than the bills. They have two rookies at LB who are splashy and athletic  but inconsistent. 

Makes me think that Motor (and/or Yeldon) could have a nice day in the pass game.  🙏🏻