DEFENSE, missed tackles

JOSH HUFF

So many missed tackles!  Edmunds has to do a better job wrapping up!  I don't know how he made the Pro Bowl this year!  The 4th and 1, Edmunds should have easily stuffed it, but somehow ends up on the ground face down looking at the RB's shoes move past him.  IT WAS BAD!!  T White also needs to tackle better.  So many times they had the Colts RB's for no gain or for a loss, but couldn't seem to hold on or plain whiff when the RB has nowhere to go.  Watch the game again and you will see a ton of missed tackles that resulted in big runs.  Someone give Edmunds a re-run of the Darius Leonard tackle on Josh Allen, that is how you wrap up!  The good thing is this can be fixed.  I think Edmunds has the potential to be a star at his position, however, this year he has been off more than on, just needs to be more consistent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

Been like this for a while. We were 3rd in missed tackles last year, 6th this year.

Ironically, Baltimore is 2nd highest in missed tackles this year.

Appears both teams use speed to get players to the ball to tackle.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

They haven't ever been a good tackling team under McDermott........which has been one of the great oddities because they have been an efficient defense.

It's possible that having an arm tackler like Edmunds as your defensive leader might set the tone but it's almost like they are taught to slow down the ball carrier and wait for help. 

It's frustrating to watch........but being a great solo tackling team takes a physical toll.    When Xavier Rhodes took Knox down with that great solo tackle on 3rd down the other day he hurt himself.   

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you guys are talking about the 4th and 1 at the end of the game, you’re too hard on the Bills. Taylor is a beast. You’re not stopping him on 4th and 1. The guy breaks tackles for a living. 

Taylor's momentum was already stopped, he was not exploding through the hole, Edmunds had the momentum.  No excuses on that one! 

14 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Guys don't like to wrap-up and tackle because that's how they hurt their shoulders.  So they like to ram or stick runners.  If the runner has good balance, they bounce off the hit and keep going.

Tell the great LB's that, they will laugh at you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If they brought up Dane Jackson you would not see missed tackles

Just kidding

.....but not really

He reminds me of Antoine Winfield.  Solid tackler.  I think he makes the 53 next year and possibly CB2.

• Like (+1) 1

Looking specifically at Edmunds / Milano it is my belief that linebackers should also rotate as we do with DL. Perhaps every 3rd or 4th possession, would help these guys stay fresh so we can close out the 4th Qtr. There isn’t much of a drop off between Klein and Matakevich/Dodson. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Been like this for a while. We were 3rd in missed tackles last year, 6th this year.

Ironically, Baltimore is 2nd highest in missed tackles this year.

Appears both teams use speed to get players to the ball to tackle.

Last year I thought this team tackled really well. I guess that goes to show you the eye test isn't always accurate. 

38 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Everyone! Quickly! Let’s crap on a 14-3 team!!!! They SUCK!!!!!!

Give me a break.

In fairness though, they only backed into that record by winning those games. Had they not won some they would have more losses.  I’m not even going to argue about it. 

Huh. That sure looks different than it sounds in my head. 

• Haha (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Last year I thought this team tackled really well. I guess that goes to show you the eye test isn't always accurate. 

It's because we have a lot of people around the ball so when they break the first and second tackle the third guy is there to clean up