Has Greg Roman's Playbook Changed Substantially Since 2016?

switz1610

It seems like a missed narrative in the media so far this week is the fact that Jerry Hughes was on the team for the entirety of Greg Roman's tenure as OC for the Buffalo Bills.

So my question is: how much has his playbook reallychanged since then? 

This, to me, seems like a huge advantage for the defensive game plan and, presumably, why they were successful in containing Lamar for most of the game last year. 

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The announcers were saying that teams knew what the ravens were running, but that didn't mean they could stop it.

This 100%
Thats what makes them difficult. 
When they execute at a high level it’s basically unstoppable. 

It has developed some, yes. Roman is a really creative offensive coordinator. His run game is the most multiple and varied in the entire league. It is just when people hear creative they think passing and when they hear rushing they think antiquated. His passing game is a little more basic but plays to what his QB does well. Kap and then Tyrod both preferred safer throws to the outside and didn't like challenging the middle of the field. Lamar is the opposite. 

• Like (+1) 2

If WInk wants to play man and blitz Allen I think we can jump on them early. Indy played Joshs kryptonite defense he and still lit it up pretty well.

If we score early and get a decent lead that could force Lamar to throw more which obviously is preferred.

5 hours ago, jletha said:

If WInk wants to play man and blitz Allen I think we can jump on them early. Indy played Joshs kryptonite defense he and still lit it up pretty well.

If we score early and get a decent lead that could force Lamar to throw more which obviously is preferred.

Baltimore is going to blitz like crazy in this game and in general put an emphasis on pressuring Allen.

If we can pick up those blitzes and Josh does a good job of reading them and getting rid of the ball quickly, I agree we can be successful.  

If they are successful with that pressure and Josh runs around playing hero ball in the backfield, could be a long day.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Baltimore is going to blitz like crazy in this game and in general put an emphasis on pressuring Allen.

If we can pick up those blitzes and Josh does a good job of reading them and getting rid of the ball quickly, I agree we can be successful.  

If they are successful with that pressure and Josh runs around playing hero ball in the backfield, could be a long day.

Seattle blitzed the hell out of them and even got home for sacks, what, seven times? 

Baltimore’s secondary is better than Seattle’s but I’m not worried about the blitz or Allen’s response to it. 

6 hours ago, switz1610 said:

It seems like a missed narrative in the media so far this week is the fact that Jerry Hughes was on the team for the entirety of Greg Roman's tenure as OC for the Buffalo Bills.

So my question is: how much has his playbook reallychanged since then? 

This, to me, seems like a huge advantage for the defensive game plan and, presumably, why they were successful in containing Lamar for most of the game last year. 

I would say it has changed significantly. He has created essentially the triple option RPO game for Lamar. I don’t think JH or the Bills glean anything from that. Last years film and this years games they have played show it’s pretty simple. Yet hard to stop because Lamar is well Lamar. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I think opposite.  They will start by dropping people back to confuse Josh. 

8 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The announcers were saying that teams knew what the ravens were running, but that didn't mean they could stop it.

Its the same thing some opposing players said about buffalo's passing game.  Believe it was SF.  They knew what we were going to do, but Josh would still make the plays.

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Allen is 2nd in DVOA against the blitz all season, behind only Mahomes. He is first in the league against Man coverage. It is much more likely that we are succesful against their defense if they play true to their style. If they can force Josh into hero ball it would be the first time all season.

9 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I think opposite.  They will start by dropping people back to confuse Josh. 

That would be playing against their normal tendency. Of course they can do it but it would be difficult on the defense to change schemes. Like I said, Indy kept everyone back and Josh still played really well. I fully expect a great day from our offense, I just think their defense plays right into Dabolls hand.

On the other side of the ball though...Im worried.

1 hour ago, jletha said:

Allen is 2nd in DVOA against the blitz all season, behind only Mahomes. He is first in the league against Man coverage. It is much more likely that we are succesful against their defense if they play true to their style. If they can force Josh into hero ball it would be the first time all season.

That would be playing against their normal tendency. Of course they can do it but it would be difficult on the defense to change schemes. Like I said, Indy kept everyone back and Josh still played really well. I fully expect a great day from our offense, I just think their defense plays right into Dabolls hand.

On the other side of the ball though...Im worried.

Agree.  But if we are planning for blitzes all game and they mix it up more than usual it could throw our gameplan. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills just need to contain Lamar. Do that, and they win. It’s that simple. The Titans let him get loose for one play last week and that one long run sealed their fate. 

Exactly.  Hopefully, the Bills O is just a slight bit better than Tennessee though.  TN is a pound the run and set up the pass team, the Bills are a pass to set up the run team, quite opposite.  My hope is the Bills take it to them and put them in a hole early.

• Like (+1) 1