I got fired because I didn't want to work when the bills were playing

Adamb412

I called out last Saturday and just used anytime hours. 20+ years there though. I applaud the OP... might have been the first time ever watching a Bills playoff win for him/her. Priorities seem to be in order imo.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

No judgements, but I can only assume you're one or more of the following:

Young

Single

No Children

No obligations

No liabilities

No worries

If you are, I'm actually kind of envious. Good luck with future employment. Go Bills!

Young yes 

Single no 

I don't have kids 

I have obligations not many tho 

I don't own any property 

My only worry is the ravens

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Someone that quits a new job should not be allowed unemployment. It's the type of gloating about it that gets those people in trouble hopefully also.

Take it easy and have some empathy. The Bills matter. Crappy jobs that don't pay enough to keep employees loyal and motivated don't deserve devotion.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Someone that quits a new job should not be allowed unemployment. It's the type of gloating about it that gets those people in trouble hopefully also.

I was just curious. I have been fortunate enough to be employed for the last 25 years.  When you fire an employee they are usually eligible to receive unemployment compensation.  For this reason, many businesses try to force resignations.  

I haven't had a job that I have worked weekends in 10 years and even then when I did it was only some Saturdays here and there. I haven't had a job that I have worked a Sunday in 15 years primarily for football reasons. I refuse to work weekends. It hasn't been in my routine in so long and I have grown accustomed to weekends off and enjoy them. I'm glad I don't have to deal with having to put in for time off for anything football related and can just enjoy football days with some beers in front of the TV relaxing

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I was just curious. I have been fortunate enough to be employed for the last 25 years.  When you fire an employee they are usually eligible to receive unemployment compensation.  For this reason, many businesses try to force resignations.  

Resignation instead of termination is still eligible for Unemployment in some cases.

The new employer will have an incredibly small liability for UI.  Former employers may perhaps have some liability.  In this instance the employee requested time off and it will rely on company policy regarding such requests whether or not they will be eligible.  Seems like a short sighted decision on the employers behalf but we are lacking too many relevant details to make any sort of call.

Source - am HR guy.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Unemployment benefits in many instances far exceed what people are making to begin with so why work If you could get fired this easily and collect unemployment. Bonus, stay at home coach potato watching the Bills in the playoffs. Gorging on Buffalo wings and pizza.

Who woulda thunked it...

Edited by Figster

35 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

I told my boss I needed Saturday night off, it's a fairly new job so it was whatever. He said he wasn't going to give me off so I told him I was going to not be in. He said ok then you're fired.....

Go bills

you’re not going to like it if they get throttled. 

At least in GA, if let go "for cause," then normally no unemployment--the former employee normally needs to show they were let go due to no fault of their own. Of course, if the employer doesn't dispute the original filing for benefits, then by default the former employee will get benefits. GA is not known as an employee-friendly state however, FWIW.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.