Coaching Carousel Updates

DCOrange

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They’ve had one zoom call. He may get the job ultimately. But there is no “understanding”. They are interviewing everyone and it is spanos decision. Spanos does not care if he went to st. Francis. He wants someone who owns the room and demands respect from the players. Maybe that’s him, I have no idea. 

Which is why I prefaced my statement to, "the longer the Chargers' job draws out" - because as time goes on and the coaching carousel has fewer and fewer seats available, the more it seems IMO that Daboll is the priority for L.A. I hope Daboll stays as he's done a remarkable job and I don't want him going anywhere!!! But, L.A. would also seem to be quite a good fit for him, the Telesco "ghost" connection aside. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Which is why I prefaced my statement to, "the longer the Chargers' job draws out" - because as time goes on and the coaching carousel has fewer and fewer seats available, the more it seems IMO that Daboll is the priority for L.A. I hope Daboll stays as he's done a remarkable job and I don't want him going anywhere!!! But, L.A. would also seem to be quite a good fit for him, the Telesco "ghost" connection aside. 

I am, and have been convinced that Daboll is going to LA.  This idea that Teleseco and Daboll, went to the same high school two years apart, both played football but never spoke is ridiculous.  

12 hours ago, jkeerie said:

If that's the case might they consider Pedersen?  Playing in the same division as his mentor may be a plus.  Or would they be warded off by his handling of Wentz?

I think Jason Garrett is the guy that the Chargers are going to end up with and I think he's a good hire for a team that probably needs an experienced coach. 

Smith has been offered the Atlanta job also.

14 hours ago, jkeerie said:

You know, I've been hearing more and more that owners and GMs are looking for "leaders of men."  Saleh impressed you as that.  Meyer has developed players in college.  Who are the others that could fit that description?

On a side note, I wonder how much perception plays into that, specifically sideline demeanor. You'd like to think the front offices wouldn't take that into account much, but Daboll might be at a disadvantage because he is up in the coaching box. Not that it's the end all be all, but when you consider many owners are too involved in the process you get guys that look good on tv versus knowing football. (see Ryan, Rex) And of course those teams selecting on looks seem to be selecting new coaches more often also.

Maybe Daboll decides to go down to the sidelines next year assuming he misses the musical chair routine this year.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

1 minute ago, WMDman said:

Didn’t he coach for Miami for like a season?

• Miami Dolphins (2010) - Coaching intern
  • Miami Dolphins (2011–2015) - Tight ends coach
  • Miami Dolphins (2015) - Interim head coach
  • New Orleans Saints (2016–present) - Assistant head coach / tight ends coach
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dan Orlovsky on the Pat McAfee show just said its a given that Daboll accepts the Chargers job & thats why LA hasn't hired anyone yet. Dude was 100% convinced Daboll was going there.

I'd prefer Daboll stay but if he were gonna leave for anyone, the Chargers do make the most sense

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Dan Orlovsky on the Pat McAfee show just said its a given that Daboll accepts the Chargers job & thats why LA hasn't hired anyone yet. Dude was 100% convinced Daboll was going there.

I'd prefer Daboll stay but if he were gonna leave for anyone, the Chargers do make the most sense

How so? Could they legally already have deal in place? Can they discuss it during season while they still have head coach? Or could they approach him somehow after Lynn was fired? I thought he was not allowed to have interviews/contact until we are done in playoffs.

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

How so? Could they legally already have deal in place? Can they discuss it during season while they still have head coach? Or could they approach him somehow after Lynn was fired? I thought he was not allowed to have interviews/contact until we are done in playoffs.

He had a zoom interview last Sunday 

• Haha (+1) 2

What is it 3 down 3 to go ?? 

Eagles - Looking at Dabol 

Chargers - also looking at Dabol 

Lions - Campbell

Jags - Myer

Falcons - Smith

Jets - Saleh

Texans - Looking at Frazier 

I hope our guys don't get hired but i worry about Dabol given what he has done with Josh !! 

I think Daboll is a good OC, but I also think Josh has done more for Josh than anyone.  He figured out how to improve his throwing motion etc.  Add in Diggs...that was the game changer.  I'd love to keep the band together, but I'm not worried if he leaves.   Josh won't fall apart.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am, and have been convinced that Daboll is going to LA.  This idea that Teleseco and Daboll, went to the same high school two years apart, both played football but never spoke is ridiculous.  

They probably spoke. But that you would hire someone because you guys smoked a joint together in hs is laughable.