Coaching Carousel Updates

DCOrange

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought it was a lock that he and GM Tom Telesco would end up together.    Went to HS together at St. Francis......interned together with Polian.    But when Dean Spanos got involved all bets off.   He might not trust Telesco.   Not many organizations wouldn't trust the GM after they drafted a QB that had the best statistical season by a rookie QB ever.........but an organization that has had Brees, Rivers and now Herbert in succession might take for granted the QB position just a bit.   I'd rather they kept Daboll for another season at least but if he goes maybe they fix the running game and become even better.

The word is Spanos wants a guy with HC experience. Not that Smith fits that either.... but yea other than the Mahomes in division thing Spanos is the drawback of that job. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought it was a lock that he and GM Tom Telesco would end up together.    Went to HS together at St. Francis......interned together with Polian.    But when Dean Spanos got involved all bets off.   He might not trust Telesco.   Not many organizations wouldn't trust the GM after they drafted a QB that had the best statistical season by a rookie QB ever.........but an organization that has had Brees, Rivers and now Herbert in succession might take for granted the QB position just a bit.   I'd rather they kept Daboll for another season at least but if he goes maybe they fix the running game and become even better.

I felt the same when I heard about the Daboll-Telesco HS connection.  Then I had a read that they didn’t know each other then and never even talked to one another. Not clue how credible the source was.  Regardless, the HS connection should only help the case.

I’m hoping that Daboll refuses any job offers in order to stay.  Not so much because we need him, but because what we have is so special that he’d rather be here than anywhere else. 

interesting point regarding our run game improving if Daboll leaves.  Is it a scheme problem or a personnel problem?  Probably a combination of both.  Regardless, that’s my offseason #1 priority.  Finding a way to improve our run game.  Being too one dimensional often ends the season with an L.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I felt the same when I heard about the Daboll-Telesco HS connection.  Then I had a read that they didn’t know each other then and never even talked to one another. Not clue how credible the source was.  Regardless, the HS connection should only help the case.

I’m hoping that Daboll refuses any job offers in order to stay.  Not so much because we need him, but because what we have is so special that he’d rather be here than anywhere else. 

interesting point regarding our run game improving if Daboll leaves.  Is it a scheme problem or a personnel problem?  Probably a combination of both.  Regardless, that’s my offseason #1 priority.  Finding a way to improve our run game.  Being too one dimensional often ends the season with an L.  

Fwiw the HS “connection” is meaningless. They went to the same HS, and that’s about it. The other thing I found funny was “ooh they have the same agent.” LaMonte reps gobs of coaches and GMs. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, uninja said:

If I was Daboll I would think long and hard about being in the same division as Mahomes/Reid. You might be coming into a good situation but that's going to be one hell of a hill to climb every year to make the playoffs.

Herbert might as good as any of the top QB's. Just an incredible rookie season, especially after getting his first start with minimal preparation.

20 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

I heard in a podcast Bienemy is a really bad interview and his past issues may be coming into play. (Apparently some kind of sexual misconduct). 

exactly what has he done to suddenly be a great candidate? Mahomes is making him look good, not the other way around

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The word is Spanos wants a guy with HC experience. Not that Smith fits that either.... but yea other than the Mahomes in division thing Spanos is the drawback of that job. 

If that's the case might they consider Pedersen?  Playing in the same division as his mentor may be a plus.  Or would they be warded off by his handling of Wentz?

32 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

You know, I've been hearing more and more that owners and GMs are looking for "leaders of men."  Saleh impressed you as that.  Meyer has developed players in college.  Who are the others that could fit that description?

I would put Eberflus and Arthur Smith in that category 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would put Eberflus and Arthur Smith in that category 

Same. And Brandon Staley too. He might be a guy for whom it is a year early but you'd rather be early than late haha. I think Staley would be a great hire in Houston but they might be forced into Bieniemy to keep Watson happy. 

7 hours ago, jkeerie said:

You know, I've been hearing more and more that owners and GMs are looking for "leaders of men."  Saleh impressed you as that.  Meyer has developed players in college.  Who are the others that could fit that description?

Bills were actually ahead of this curve. Amazing.

IMHO, the longer the Chargers job draws out - the more likely it is Daboll. It would seem that maybe Daboll and Telesco have an understanding that in order to not distract from the Bills or their task in front of them, that any announcement (official anyways) would be made once either, 1. Bills are out of the playoffs OR 2. Bills win AFC Title and have two weeks before the Super Bowl. 

35 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

IMHO, the longer the Chargers job draws out - the more likely it is Daboll. It would seem that maybe Daboll and Telesco have an understanding that in order to not distract from the Bills or their task in front of them, that any announcement (official anyways) would be made once either, 1. Bills are out of the playoffs OR 2. Bills win AFC Title and have two weeks before the Super Bowl. 

They’ve had one zoom call. He may get the job ultimately. But there is no “understanding”. They are interviewing everyone and it is spanos decision. Spanos does not care if he went to st. Francis. He wants someone who owns the room and demands respect from the players. Maybe that’s him, I have no idea. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1